When you play a congregational hymn...
  • ...do you find it more appropriate to articulate the lower voices each as they deserve, or to match the articulation of the other voices to the articulation you wish the congregation to achieve on the top line?
  • francis
    Sometimes, often on the second verse I use legato with no articulation. I don't find that using articulation in hymn playing changes the way a congregation sings all that much.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I suppose this is going to depend a lot on whether you expect the congregation to sing in parts, or even be able to see SATB parts when they open their hymnals.

Since I have never served a parish or other Catholic institution that put harmonies in the hand of the PIPs, I decided long ago to stop caring so much about articulation of inner voices. I frequently re-harmonize hymns on the fly anyway, so "correct" articulation of the harmonies printed in my accompaniment score doesn't really matter much to me.

Add to that, the (excellent and very musical) choir that I direct much prefers to spend their time learning motets and anthems. We very rarely sing congregational hymns in SATB harmony, and don't add descants all that much either. It allows us to spend a lot of time on Byrd, Palestrina, Mozart, Kevin Allen, etc. without worrying about the alto part of [insert hymn here] that no one is going to hear anyway.
  • CharlesW
    Our congregational hymnals are in unison and only the choir hymnals have SATB parts. I don't worry about those inner voices, either. Some days, I don't worry about much of anything, but that comes with age and exhaustion. LOL. I was once told to can the descants since they throw the congregation off the melody line. Whatever! Consequently, I rarely do descants anymore.
  • I think that in most places in the US, you'll only find unison in the hands of the PIPs, and SATB (or at least some sort of divided part) in the hands of the choir, if they even sing their parts. It is a common occurrence in Catholic churches nowadays for the organist (or whatever accompaniment is there) to improvise the harmonic parts and just play the prescribed melody, sometimes omitting extended rests that are confusing to the PIPs.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It allows us to spend a lot time on Byrd, Palestrina, Mozart, Kevin Allen, etc. without worrying about the alto part of [insert hymn here] that no one is going to hear anyway.

O man, IT, ya cain't dis the great hairy-chested altos in m' neighborhood. GpdP's "Sicut" would be famished were the alto's buried within its soaring arches. And I cain't get enuf of the beautifully prepared suspensions in Paul Jernberg's S.Phillip Neri setting, in THE ALTOS! Perish da thought.
    Ahem.
    I've sort of come to a conclusion about singing hymns in SATB- save it for the great 12 hymns (ie. Holy God...). Singing hymns in a strong, firm unison with a final descant (done well, done well) by a couple of sopranos and aided by a gifted organist does the trick.
  • Anglicans read from the phone book in 4-parts.
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood CHGiffen JL
  • CharlesW
    Anglicans read from the phone book in 4-parts.

That must be where they are getting many of their doctrines since they don't come from scripture.
  • Liam
    Catholics do, too: literally, allegorically, morally and anagogically....
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anglicans read from the phone book in 4-parts.

That must be where they are getting many of their doctrines since they don't come from scripture.

If you cannot think of anything kind to say, please restrict your remarks to the weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2jwDcb9wI
  • CharlesW

If you cannot think of anything kind to say, please restrict your remarks to the weather.

If I think of anything unkind, I will be sure you are the first to hear it. PHFTTTTT! LOL. Love the singing weather forecast.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Now that I have a bit more time, I will qualify my original statement. There are Anglicans of various stripes - striped Anglicans, now that would be interesting - in my town ranging from ultra-liberal to orthodox. One parish has left ECUSA and affiliated with bishops elsewhere not given to liberalism. It is the same everywhere including in Catholic parishes. Some are orthodox and some are off-the-wall. This fragmentation may continue for some time before anything changes.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Actually I thought it was a funny comment. I was just looking for a good seque into the weather chant.
  • francis
    I like the weather chant... may I suggest the Catholic Church have the liberal episcopalians take on the project of setting the entire Summa in this fashion as penance for their errors?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @melofluent -- My comment was in no way meant to denigrate altos! They are essential and valued!