Quotes on the Liturgy
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I don't know if this will be of interest, but I've been reading several books on the liturgy lately and have come across some astounding passages and brilliant insights from liturgists involved in the original Liturgical Movement. Hope they can inspire you---and if anyone has other quotes to contribute, please share them and any thoughts you have.

The following is from Sr. Josephine Morgan, longtime director of the Pius X School of Liturgical Music, Manhattanville, NY, on the requirements for a church musician:

"A prayerful, reverent sense of the mystery must be in the minds and in the hearts of those who have to watch every step of the liturgical services. Supernatural awareness must be a prerequisite for anyone who conducts a liturgical service.

The dryness of routine and repetition and the dullness of spirit which may overtake church musicians must be opposed by prayerful reading and serious study. Without spiritual, intellectual food, liturgical musicians will become dull automatons. Only a great, inspired teacher will be able to inspire others."

Address to musicians circa Vatican II, in St. Louis (from How Firm a Foundation, Voices of the Early Liturgical Movement, compiled by Kathleen Hughes.)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The divine Christ-life is the unchangeable content of the liturgy presented in the ever-changing garb of seasons and feasts and hours.

Pascal Botz, Orate Fratres, 1936
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JulieColl --

Have you read Odo Casel's The Mystery of Christian Worship yet?

If not, you should. I think you'll dig it.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was just reading about him in How Firm a Foundation. Do you know the circumstances of his death?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I understand he died at an Easter Vigil, but I don't know the details.

I adore his writing, though.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    A memorial tribute in Orate, Fratres spoke of "the enormous achievement of this quiet monk who never traveled, never lectured, and never produced anything but 'occasional' books, slim in size; who loved solitude and enjoyed company; practiced silence and had more to say than anybody else when he spoke; who preached the glorious Christ and was deeply attached to the mystery of the Cross. He founded an entirely new school of liturgical and historical research." He died Easter vigil night (1948) when he had just finished proclaiming "Lumen Christi" and was about to intone the Exsultet.
  • francis
    "It would be easier for the world to survive without the sun than to do without Holy Mass."
    Blessed Padre Pio
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    "Popular appreciation of the sacred liturgy would have been vastly different today if, before every administration of the sacraments in the past hundred years, an explanatory instruction had been given, as the Roman Ritual directs; if at every Sunday Mass---there had been the homily or explanation required by the Council of Trent; if at every Low Mass the celebrating priest had pronounced loudly and clearly the words which we must now teach the people; if the faithful at a Sung Mass had not been denied the right to respond in violation of the traditions of our rite; if church builders had placed the choir near the altar where it belongs, to lead the people; if baptistries had been placed at the entrance to churches, to signify the meaning of baptismal initiaion.

This is only to suggest, by a few examples, how obedience to law has ample motivation in the reasonableness and fruitfulness of the legal precept. And this is nowhere clearer than in the case of sacred worship, where the reverence due to God is at stake and where the sanctity of persons is the profit."

Fr. Frederick McManus, Address at the National Liturgical Week, Notre Dame, 1959
  • Julie,

I can think of no better way to discredit the whole liturgical reform project than to attach approval of it to Msgr McManus.
    Thanked by 2Jahaza dad29
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I would say with all due respect, Chris, that your argument amounts to no more than an ad hominem attack on Msgr. McManus rather than a reasoned response that answers the only question that matters, namely, is what he said true, or not?

We know from the speech given by then-Cardinal Ratzinger to the Ecclesia Dei pilgrims assembled in Rome in 1998 that in those countries where the Liturgical Movement had been strong prior to the Council, he said there was a strong resistance to the elimination of the old liturgical books. On the other hand, he also said that in those places where the Liturgical Movement had not been strong, there was very little resistance to the elimination of the old rite.

In his call for a new Liturgical Movement was an admission that the original Liturgical Movement had at one point been hijacked from its original goals which were highly praised by then-Cardinal Ratzinger.

Of the original goals of the Liturgical Movement (cf. Dom Lambert Beaudoin, Liturgy, the Life of the Church, 1914), what, if any do you have an issue with, and why, if you don't mind answering?

1) The active participation of the Christian people in the holy Sacrifice of the Mass by means of understanding and following the liturgical rites and texts.
    2) Emphasis of the importance of the High Mass and of the Sunday parish services, and assistance at the restoration of collective liturgical singing in the official gatherings of the faithful.
    3) Seconding of all efforts to preserve or re-establish the Vespers and the Compline of the Sunday, and to give to these services a place second only to that of the holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
    4) Acquaintance and active association with the rites of the sacraments received or assisted at, and the spread of this knowledge among others.
    5) Fostering a great respect for, and confidence in, the blessings of our Mother Church.
    6) Restoration of the Liturgy of the Dead to a place of honor, observance of the customs of Vigils, and Lauds, and giving greater solemnity to the funeral services, and getting the faithful thereat, thus efficaciously combating the de-Christianizating of the rite of the dead.
  • Julie,

I wasn't so much making an argument as making an observation. I don't have the direct quotations in front of me to demonstrate why Msgr McManus' blessing would discredit the project, but there is plenty of evidence that the Msgr had a vested interest in promoting the mess which has followed the Council.

One might just as well ask Cardinal Kasper about the dangers of admitting those who are divorced and remarried to Holy Communion as ask Msgr McManus about the problems with liturgical reform.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • chonakchonak
    Some of Msgr. McManus' contributions to the process of liturgical reform are described in this article by Susan Benofy of Adoremus. He was head of an organization called the Liturgical Conference; as a peritus at Vatican II he presented lectures for the bishops, lobbying them with his vision of reform; then starting in 1965 he became secretary of the US Bishops' Committee for the Liturgy.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very eye-opening article, Chonak. It's interesting matching up the names in that article with the quotes in my book. I don't know much about this period of the Church, but I had already red-flagged the names Diekman and Reinhold because of the radical nature of their remarks, even in the 50's.

However, regarding Msgr. McManus, his comment above struck me as perfectly reasonable since he was not talking in 1959 about textual or ritual changes but was merely imagining how much good could be accomplished if the laws and traditions of the Roman rite had been observed.
  • dad29
    Mgr. Schuler took exception to the 'choir in front' advocated by Mgr McManus; Schuler argued that the 'choir in loft' was perfectly in tune (cough) with the choir's dual role as intermediary (or substitute) between congregation and God and vice-versa. In fact, the title of the festschrift dedicated to his life was Cum Angelis Canere (Fr. Robert Skeris, Ph.D., author/collector.)

McManus may have thought of the monastery choir' position as an ideal, which is fine; but with 400++ years' history of choir lofts, it's hard for him to make the case that 'down in front' choirs are 'traditional.'
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's a very good point about the longstanding tradition of choir lofts. I find it fascinating that in several videos of French traditional Latin Masses, I've noticed that the schola is not located in the loft, but in the center of the nave or near the altar, which could be a result of the influence of the Liturgical Movement in Europe.

Yesterday, I was at St. Anselm's Church in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and it is truly set on a majestic scale, with the choir loft and pipe organ almost a city block away from the sanctuary. However, to my delight, I discovered another much smaller choir loft located just to the right of the sanctuary; it seems to be the perfect location for a schola.

From the parish website:

The north transept loft is used for the children’s choir and holds a modern electric organ as well as a piano. The small stained glass windows are filled with highly translucent glass to allow light to freely enter the space. These windows hold designs associated with music in the tradition of the Roman church: a tiara and crosier for Saint Gregory and a beehive for Saint Ambrose, two saints closely connected with traditional schools of chant – Gregorian and Ambrosian, and a harp for King David, the great psalmist, and an organ for Saint Cecilia.

The loft above the Fourth Avenue entrance has for years housed an organ and served as a second choir loft. The windows represent the heavenly choir playing instruments. A monumental cross in brick fills the entire wall above and holds the façade’s Pentecost window in its center.
  • MBWMBW
    In the large French buildings the choir was rarely, if ever, in the west gallery with the Grand Orgue. There is generally a choir space in or near the sanctuary where there is also an Orgue de Choeur. This configuration is also seen at Westminster Cathedral in London. In smaller parish churches west end choir lofts were (and are) used.

The choir loft in the front of a church built in the first half of the 20th C was often an attempt to locate a mixed choir near the sanctuary, since women were not allowed in the sanctuary proper. Most often, these side lofts are acoustically compromised. Deep with low ceilings, they share the same drawbacks as deep organ chambers. Sometimes, however, this is a happy solution and I hope that is the case in Brooklyn.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl eft94530
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Regarding the state of contemporary Catholic liturgical music, Fr. Nicola Bux commented in his book, Benedict XVI's Reform, p. 148:

"The order of the day seems to be nice tunes, the idea of peace without foundation or substance, and a dreamy atmosphere. It is as if to oppose modern rationalism, cynicism, materialism, and unbelief, it is necessary to take refuge in a romantic rhetoric of good feelings, in a languid debilitation of the senses and the mind, which in reality has nothing to do with the evangelical virtues. Are we not in the presence of an undifferentiated romantic and subjective decline? We are nearing gnosticism in liturgical music. With the people no longer singing and the Protestantized music, the idea of what the Eucharist is---a physical and spiritual encounter with Christ----has been lost. The Mass has been reduced to listening to the word and remembering a past event."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    On the value of the Mass:

"You are discouraged. You need the Mass. You must persevere by all means. You have a vocation. Study the Mass; live the Mass. Between two Masses you can bear everything."

Fr. Virgil Michel to Catherine de Hueck,1953
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    On the theological status of sacred music:

"The Sacred Liturgy . . . is for us the most perfect place to meet Christ, as Bishop Rey remarks. St. Ambrose goes a step further when he says, "Christus in Ecclesia cantat." (Christ sings in the Church).

From the Trinitarian perspective, the Holy Spirit himself---as Bishop Wilhelm Kempf said in the Council hall as relator of the German bishops for the liturgy---is called in the language of the Church jubilus Patris et Filii (the joyful melody of the Father and of the Son). He went on to say (and we quote him verbatim):

"A liturgy that tried to dispose with pneumatic song, the jubilus of a well-tuned heart, and singing and playing in the Lord, would be not only a stunted liturgy but a downright denial of its own nature. This is not just about some categories of aesthetics, but about genuine categories of theology. It is about restoring to musica sacra the theological status that belongs to it, which for many reasons it has regrettably lost."

Gabriel M. Steinschulte, "Liturgical Music and the New Evangelization", Sacred Liturgy, The Source and Summit of the Life and Mission of the Church, Alcuin Reid, ed.
  • dad29
    St. Ambrose goes a step further when he says, "Christus in Ecclesia cantat." (Christ sings in the Church).

Once again, Fr. Skeris noted that in one of his essays. In the catacombs, there are drawings of Christ as the 'new David' (Psalm-singer). Those drawings capture and "baptize" a pagan-god "singer,"* too, attempting to connect that song/singing from the pagan world with the Judaeo-Christian song.

*No longer able to remember the name of that pagan god, sorry!!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    A captivating thought: Christ as Psalmist.

Another enchanting image: the Holy Spirit as jubilus Patris et Filii (the joyful melismatic melody of the Father and the Son).
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Dad, was it Apollo?

A captivating thought: Christ as Psalmist.

I think it was one of St. Mechtilde's visions seeing Christ intoning the Introit for the heavenly choirs. (Can't remember which feast . . .)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • dad29
    Nah, Stimson, it wasn't. Sorry to say that I've temporarily lost track of the book, too.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    On the apostolate of musica sacra:

"While liturgical education as a sort of catechesis addresses the reason and the body, musica sacra reaches the heart and the soul too. Generally, participation in the apostolate of church music has the effect of a catechetical experience for all who are directly and indirectly involved.

(If the boys in a cathedral choir need to be brought to several rehearsals each week and then on Sunday both in the morning to Solemn Mass and also in the afternoon to Vespers, the relation between Church and family remains an issue; indeed, the family is compelled to grapple with the essentials of the Faith, because vacation times, daily routines, eating habits and efforts of all sorts have to be attuned to the commitment to musica sacra.)

Liturgical music becomes a factor of identification and association that extends to relatives and friends. The most convincing argument for all these sacrifices is disarming beauty in the service of the holy, which can be grasped only by St. Augustine's remark, "Cantare amantis est" (To sing belongs to one who loves)."

Gabriel M. Steinschulte, "Liturgical Music and the New Evangelization", Sacred Liturgy, The Source and Summit of the Life and Mission of the Church, Alcuin Reid, ed.