Question of Theology of Communion
  • ghmus7
    I have a question that I have been batting around for awhile:
    It seems that in our time (I cannot quote specific documents) the churches' thinking about Communion at Mass, and the orientation of music has changed.
    1. Previously, music could be of any Eucharistic character - texts which specifically mention "Adoration" of the Sacrament - eg. Ave Verum, Adoro te were allowed. Communion was received while kneeling and on the tongue.
    2. In our time, many theologians and liturgists (again, I wish I could quote the documents) stress that "Communitarian' aspect of the Sacrament, our Unity in Christ. Adoration ,and more importantly, texts speaking of Adoration are no longer considered proper. Thus, no settings of t Ave Verum Communion, or Adoro te during Communion, as those texts are now considered appropriate only for Adoration, exposition etc.
    Let us have your comments.
  • CharlesW
    Well, let's kill all the liturgists! I still use those "adoration" pieces from time to time. Communion hymns from the hymnal are sung and the appropriate Proper for the day is sung. The congregation, I am afraid, has the music tuned out other than realizing at some level there is "travelling music" going on.
  • Both Ave Verum (in various settings) and Adoro Te (in various settings) are regular communion anthems in our church. FWIW.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Liam
    For reference, this is what the first paragraph of #86 of the GIRM provides in relevant part:

"While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the “communitarian” nature of the procession to receive Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful.[74] If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner."
  • CharlesW
    Unfortunately, it must be the bishops who are singing during communion. The congregation by and large isn't. They tell me they are busy and don't want to sing at that time. What happens is that the choir or cantor sings.
  • chonakchonak
    In the Graduale the texts of the Communion antiphons are usually quotations from Scripture. They seldom mention the Sacrament directly. Here are some samples, which I will translate:

Week 20 OT: "Seek first the kingdom of God..." (Mt. 6:13)
    Week 21 OT: "The earth shall be filled with the fruit of your works..." (Ps. 103)
    Week 22 OT: "Lord, remember your righteousness...." (Ps. 70)
    Week 23 OT: "Make vows and repay them to the Lord your God...." (Ps. 75)
    Week 24 OT: "Lift up offerings and bear them into His courts...." (Ps. 95)
    Week 25 OT: "You have ordered that your precepts be diligently kept...." (Ps. 118)
    Week 26 OT: "Remember your words to your servant, O Lord...." (Ps. 118)

If we were to limit ourselves to generic communion-themed hymns or motets, they would be lawful under the terms of the GIRM, but they wouldn't reflect the range of themes and motifs appearing in the chant texts.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • fcbfcb
    I would note that the quotation from the GIRM that Liam helpfully provides ascribes the "communitarian" function of the communion song to the act of singing together, not to the text sung, so there is no particular reason why a text that highlighted adoration of Christ present in the Eucharist could not be sung.

And what Chonak said, above. Adoration does not seem to be a particularly prominent theme in the text of the communio.

On the congregation singing during communion...they sing at our place (or about as many as sing anything else), particularly if it is something with a simple refrain. Anything that require people to go up for communion with a hymnal in their hand will be a non-starter, I would think. Personally, I find having something to sing during communion helps keep me focused and prayerful. YMMV.
    Thanked by 2chonak Liam
  • fcbfcb
    On the theological aspect of the question, we should remember that while Christ being present in the sacrament is the immediate effect (res et sacramentum) of the sacrament of the Eucharist, it's ultimate effect and purpose (res tantum) is the unity of Christ's body. So while it is not inappropriate to adore Christ who has become present in the Eucharist, we should bear in mind that the ultimate purpose of him becoming present is to unite the mystical body. Thus the emphasis on the "communitarian" aspect of the celebration.
  • Liam
    Deacon Fritz, thank you.

Having labored under directors or music programs in the distant past where the merest hint of adoration was to be avoided during the rite of Holy Communion, I was never persuaded of that any more* than I think that's only what we ought to be singing during the rite. Both can be taken to extremes.

The antiphons often assigned for the rite seem to share a center of gravity in expressing thanksgiving, delight, joy, and recollection of God's merciful loving-kindness. For the Nth time, I would argue that the Magnificat offers the paradigm of the disposition of the Servant of God who has received the full presence of the Lord. Psalms 34, 78 and 84 (the list is not exhaustive) could be part of a standing rotation of Communion psalmody in addition to the antiphons appointed in the Gradual and the Missal.

* I so don't miss my years of programming music when the operating rule was that it should solely be about what we were doing, and only that. I am sure there are places where silly things like that still have purchase - and all the more glad I am not there.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    Just as an opinion, I don't think it's good to be rigorist about this idea and banish all devotional Eucharistic music from Holy Communion. If you have time to sing more than one work at Communion, a devotional piece could reasonably be the second one.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • The original poster, ghmus7, wrote:
    2. In our time, many theologians and liturgists (again, I wish I could quote the documents) stress that "Communitarian' aspect of the Sacrament, our Unity in Christ. Adoration ,and more importantly, texts speaking of Adoration are no longer considered proper. Thus, no settings of t Ave Verum Communion, or Adoro te during Communion, as those texts are now considered appropriate only for Adoration, exposition etc.

Perhaps ghmus7 is thinking of the 1972 document, Music in Catholic Worship, which states at paragraph 62:
    "The communion song should foster a sense of unity. It should be simple and not demand great effort. It gives expression to the joy and unity in the body of Christ and the fulfillment of the mystery being celebrated. Because they emphasize adoration rather than communion, most benediction hymns are not suitable."

I find it interesting that Sing to the Lord, the successor document to Music in Catholic Worship, is not as explicit on this matter. I wonder if an interesting discussion about this took place among the authors of Sing to the Lord?
    Thanked by 2chonak francis
  • It's not necessarily the theology of Communion, per se, but the entire theology of the Mass itself. I've been watching a synopsis (chapter by chapter) of Fr. Anthony Cekada's Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI and in it it mentions two distinct theologies for the Mass (one that is traditional and the other that originated with modernists in the 1920s): 1. Theology of Mass as Sacrifice, and 2. Theology of the Mass as Assembly. Guess which one is the modernist one? The Mass of Paul VI, or the Ordinary Form as it's now known, follows closely the theology of the Mass as Assembly, so it makes sense to hear modern liturgists promoting the "community" nature of the Communion rite, instead of focusing on the sacrificial nature (such as consuming the Body of Christ, and receiving Him in it). It's more focused on "let's all get together and have a communal meal where we celebrate our togetherness" instead of "let us gather so that we may remember the sacrifice our Lord made so that our sins could be forgiven."
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Well, Fr. Cekada has done some respectable scholarly work, but let's also note that he holds a sedevacantist position, and it's possible that it may color his analysis.
    Thanked by 2JL Adam Wood
  • Liam
    That summation of the conciliar Mass is not accurate.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Alcuin Reid's review of the book is on NLM.
  • fcbfcb
    If one thinks the notion of "Mass as assembly" is "modernist," I'd recommend reading Henri de Lubac's Corpus Mysticum (or, for than matter, Augustine's sermons on the Eucharist). Of course I'm sure Fr. Cekada thinks (Cardinal) de Lubac is a modernist, but his argument in this book is essentially an historical one and not easily dismissed by ad hominem arguments.
  • fcbfcb
    That summation of the conciliar Mass is not accurate.

For that matter, the summation of the preconciliar Mass ("let us gather so that we may remember the sacrifice our Lord made so that our sins could be forgiven") could easily be a description of a Zwinglian Lord's Supper.
    Thanked by 2Liam Adam Wood
  • francis
    Holy Confusion, Batman. We cannot figure out why we are at Mass! Another example where all opinions cancel out all other opinions.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I personally think it worthwhile to avoid “Pange lingua … Tantum”, “Verbum supernum … O salutaris”, etc. at Mass because these are so familiar from Benediction … and, in the case of “Pange”, Maundy Thursday.

That said, one needn’t be strictly rigorous about that, either. I used to be more of a stickler for this than I’ve become of late.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ...and we wonder where division comes from in the Church these days. All those options might not be such a good thing after all. The ability to accommodate "the people" might not necessarily be working out.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I've always admired the traditional French custom of singing O Salutaris Hostia apres la Consecration. For example, the Schola St. Cecile at Paris will sing O Salutaris Hostia apres la Consecration and Tantum Ergo pendant la Communion.

Their program for the Rome Populus Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage at St. Peter's Basilica:

Samedi 24 octobre, à 12h, en la basilique Saint-Pierre du Vatican : messe pontificale célébrée à l’autel de la Chaire célébrée par Mgr Laise, en présence de Mgr Luigi Negri, archevêque de Ferrare-Comacchio.

Entrée du clergé : Laudes regiæ – « Acclamations carolingiennes » (VIIIème siècle)
    Propre en plain-chant grégorien
    Ordinaire : Missa VIII – De Angelis
    Pendant les encensements de l’offertoire : Angeli, Archangeli – grand motet de Jean Veillot († 1662), chanoine et maître de chapelle de Notre-Dame de Paris, du roi Louis XIV et des Bénédictines de Montmartre
    Benedictus polyphonique : alternance du chanoine Nicolas-Mammès Couturier (1840 † 1911), maître de chapelle de la cathédrale de Langres
    Après la consécration : O Salutaris Hostia – François Giroust (1739 † 1799), maître de chapelle du roi de France Louis XVI
    Pendant la communion des fidèles : Tantum ergo sacramentum – Michel-Richard de Lalande (1657 † 1726), maître de la chapelle des rois Louis XIV & Louis
    Pendant le dernier évangile : Salve Regina (plain-chant – ton simple)
    Sortie du clergé : Christus vincit – Plain-chant d’Aloys Kunc (1832 † 1895), maître de chapelle de la cathédrale de Toulouse, harmonisation du chanoine Gaston Roussel (1913 † 1985), curé de Port-Marly, maître de chapelle de la cathédrale de Versailles
    Organiste : Olivier Willemin.
  • johnmann
    A reading from the first letter of the New Orleans Saints to CMAA:
    Each one of you says, "I want Eucharistic hymns," or "I want communitarian hymns," or "I want propers," or "I want Bread of Life." Is Christ divided? Were hymns crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Suzanne Toolan?

I don't think so many options is a good thing but if that's the extent of our "division," we're in good shape.
  • francis
    we often do the Ave Verum and Soul of my Savior (anima christi)
  • Yes, the Anima Christi is a favorite of the children here.