Coverdale psalms in Novus Ordo
  • Are the Coverdale Psalms legitimate for use in the Novus Ordo for the responsorial psalm? They're approved for use in Anglican Use Ordinariates, so does it qualify as approved psalm texts as far as the GIRM is concerned?
  • So sorry. Coverdale may not be used for any official ritual text (which, obviously, includes the resp. ps.) in the Roman rite. One may, though, use it for non-ritual 'ornaments' to the rite, such as offertory anthems, communion anthems, and such. Also, since there is no official text (Deo gratias!) for the propers, you could use Coverdale for the psalm verses to the offertory and communion antiphons, as I do normally at St Basil's Chapel at UST, here. The rule is simple to remember: any part of any ritual text must use the official language of that text. There may be reasonable lee-way in non-ritual texts.

It is surprising (perhaps it shouldn't be!) that many Catholics really do cherish the Coverdale psalter. It goes to shew that there is a hunger for linguistic beauty in our worship.

I, like many, would like to see the day on which the lesser propers were required to this or that musical language at every mass. But, good heavens, one has apoplexy in advance contemplating what we would be handed as an official translation which had to be used.
    Thanked by 2dboothe CHGiffen
  • GIRM 61 says: “or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons...providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop."

Does Coverdale lack this approval even though it's approved for the Ordinariate?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Someone intent on doing so could probably construct a legitimate-seeming argument that would technically allow for Coverdale. But that approach seems untoward at best.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • So it's allowed, right?
  • francis
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't believe the conference of Bishops as a body has ever approved a collection of Psalms outside the ones in the lectionary.

Please inform us.

Has anyone ever gotten approval from a local bishop to use something different than what's in the lectionary? If so, can you show us the letter?
  • MatthewRoth
    People sometimes use Coverdale regardless. It is illicit, but it is done.
  • So it's allowed, right?

No, it's not allowed, right! In regard to your quote from the GIRM, the bishops have not approved Coverdale for any ritual text of the Roman rite. It is licit only for the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter. (Note that I do not say this with glee.)

It may be, as Matthew says, that it's done... but it is not done licitly.

It is indeed sad that we must use the approved Grail psalter. It is as abrupt and terse as the language of the dynamic equivalency mass of which we are happily rid. Unlike Coverdale (or a badly needed modern heir to it), the Grail is almost unsingable to the Gregorian tones. This is unfortunate. The sorts of modern psalm tones in vogue now (such as those in the Mundelein Psalter) are nice and have a simple beauty, but they are tiring and become empty after a while, and lack the musical grace and interest of the old Gregorian tones. Sad to say, those in charge of language in the Catholic Church do not consider such niceties when saddling us with their word-stingy translations. (I doubt that they even know that such niceties exist.)