What book is this Alleluia from?
  • ryandryand
    I've sung it often, but have no idea where it originates from.

263 x 77 - 7K
  • It's an antiphon from Lauds of Easter during the Easter Vigil. Check the LU. It's also an alternate Communion antiphon for Easter Sunday in the GS.
    Thanked by 3Ben irishtenor igneus
  • BenBen
    According to most of the worship aids I've seen, isn't it from some book called "GREGORIAN CHANT 6"?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood ryand
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The second "-ia" should be on Re-Do, not Mi-Re.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • That's how I always heard it too (Re-Do). Out of curiosity I checked the Liber Usualis and indeed that's what it shows.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's an antiphon from Lauds of Easter during the Easter Vigil. Check the LU. It's also an alternate Communion antiphon for Easter Sunday in the GS.

Does anyone know how it came to be associated with Gospel Processions among the trying-to-be-solemn crowd?
  • MatthewRoth
    Isn’t it in the Graduale Simplex?
  • BenBen
    Does anyone know how it came to be associated with Gospel Processions among the trying-to-be-solemn crowd?

I assume because it's authentic gregorian chant yet also dead simple. I have always assumed that's what it's always chosen (at least when the alleluia from O Filii et Filiae isn't chosen).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    when the alleluia from O Filii et Filiae isn't chosen

People use that as a Gospel acclamation?
  • It was the alleluia given in the Jubilate Deo booklet - presumably why it was used lots. Not sure why it was chosen for that booklet, though.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Isn’t it in the Graduale Simplex?

It is in each of GR, GS, and LU.

Nearby, one also finds the one that I hope I've attached to this post. I also hear it a lot.

331 x 88 - 16K
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It is in each of GR, GS, and LU.

It was the alleluia given in the Jubilate Deo booklet

So there is at least some official suggestion that this is a good idea.

(And, frankly, I think it is a good idea, especially if the alternative is the Celtic Alleluia or some other awful thing.)
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • I agree that it is perfectly fine. Very nice, even. Alas, it is also over-used.
  • MatthewRoth
    CHGiffen is correct...I just checked, and it is in the Liber Brevior as the antiphon for Vespers at the end of Mass on Holy Saturday. The reformers of Holy Week just recycled it for their newly created Lauds.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    People use that as a Gospel acclamation?

I've seen it used many, many times as a gospel acclamation, but almost always during the easter season. Haugen even did an arrangement for GIA you know (mp3)
  • MBWMBW
    I know a place where we can go…
    and hear the first four alleluias from the Mozart Exultate jubilate used as the Gospel Acclamation.
  • However, note that if you are using this mode 6 Alleluia as a Gospel Acclamation, it's not really Gregorian Chant in this application.

Otherwise, it would be accurate to call Rossini Propers "Gregorian Chant".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it's not really Gregorian Chant in this application.

Otherwise, it would be accurate to call Rossini Propers "Gregorian Chant".

I don't think that reasoning makes sense.

I know a place where we can go…
    and hear the first four alleluias from the Mozart Exultate jubilate used as the Gospel Acclamation.

I've long had a really tacky desire to use the Hallelujah chorus as a Gospel procession on Christ the King.

No, I would never actually do that. But I smile to myself whenever I think about how wonderfully awesome and terrible it would be.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ryandryand
    However, note that if you are using this mode 6 Alleluia as a Gospel Acclamation, it's not really Gregorian Chant in this application.

Oh good. I think some people at our parish would be really upset if I were singing Gregorian Chant.

I will sing it this weekend and if anyone complains, I will inform them that it's not actually Gregorian Chant, and that will make them happy.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Adam,

You would need to balance it with more contemporary stuff?
  • MBWMBW
    Nearby, one also finds the one that I hope I've attached to this post. I also hear it a lot.

I only use this Alleluia at the Easter Vigil. Does anyone use it on "regular" Sundays?
    Sorry, I failed to get the image to post.
  • This has been touched on by us on other threads. The 'Easter Vigil Alleluya' should be sung only at the Easter vigil. This thrice chanted 'alleluya' is unique to that vigil. While there are little triple alleluyas at some of the offices, and while they appear in Graduale Simplex, etc., they are notably absent in the alleluya and verses of the mass proper. This is an absence which should be maintained at all masses. Triple alleluyas at mass are (even if they are dressed up in square notes) basically happy-clappy little ditties and lack the gravity that should define this ecstatic ejaculation of praise - 'Glory be to Yahweh'.

I might well conclude by asking:
    was it cute little triple alleluyas in XIXth century Russia?
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • francis
    here it is from the NOH.

Note: remember, the NOH does not include dotted punctum or horiz. ep., so the end of those phrases need to match the GN.
    1545 x 347 - 49K
  • francis
    with dots
    1545 x 347 - 41K