Santus Nicholas dixit
    Nocte nebulae,
    "Rudolphe, naso claro
    Nonne carrum tu duces?"

Tum renores clamabant,
    "Rudolphe, delectus es!
    Cum naso rubro claro
    Historia descendes!"
  • I love it... it works quite well with the melody :)
  • At a college convocation my undergraduate chamber choir once sang the American traditional song 'Duc me ad ludum pilae'.
  • ThurlowThurlow
    This is marvellous!! I just tried singing it to a 77.77. meter tune I wrote, and it sounds completely dignified, (almost) usable as a hymn. If one didn't know Latin, one wouldn't be able to tell! Any more conveniently metered Latin translations available in this genre, Francis?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    francis, is that your own translation? Fantastic!
  • francis
    I must confess, my wife turned me on to this one.

http://gaudium-mundo.blogspot.com/

You gotta sing "Deck the Halls"

Its a scream.
  • JamJam
    ...I read it over once, didn't get it.

Read it over twice... oh my gosh! How much time did you spend on this?! Or, I mean, whoever wrote it. (hehe, my Latin keeps getting better as time passes)
  • miacoyne
    Gee, I thought its was a long chant that I didn't know how to sing. I'll share this with my schola and see whether they can figure it out.
  • rogue63
    Delightful---I'm still laughing.
  • miacoyne
    Guess what! The Rudolphe brought us a present to our schola. I thought this translation was funny, so I shared with my schola members, sent emails. One of old schola member who is also a retired Latin teacher (He was also a music director over 30 years) offered us Latin class. The teacher suggested that we can read Gospels in Latin and help us with grammar. We are very excited. I'm filling out the facility request form.
    Thank you for the good old (new) latin Rudolphe!
  • Thought this thread would enjoy the fruits of its labour - Reno erat Rudolphus - http://bit.ly/2BEfg1i
  • francis
    A very Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year, brothers and sisters in Christ. Blessed be the hearts of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.