cancion with recited verse
  • I want to use this song: Al atardecer de la Vida: and it has a verse where one person recites over a sung phrase. Is that??appropriate to do during offertory???
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sure, if you're blessed with a celebrant who likes to do his Elvis imitation while presiding over Mass;-)
    mamah, the purple means we're kidding, not to be taken in umbrage.
    Seriously, I wouldn't go there.
  • so you say no??? Thanks for explaining that you're kidding, I take things to heart. I heard one church do it on Youtube and it sounds nice, but very different from normal mass no?
  • I agree with melo. It could both sound nice and not be appropriate for mass.
  • No I totally understand, I get what you're saying. What ocp puts out, isn't always appropriate. I kind of was in torment about it myself, so thanks for giving input.
  • Why would it not be appropriate?
  • oh wow!! Now I"m so curious. Who should I ask, the priest?
  • chonakchonak
    It sounds like a theatrical and dramatic practice (which could be appropriate in a concert, but is not a good thing at Mass).

For those interested, the text of the song is here, and several videos with the song are here.

Incidentally, the song is 4 1/2 minutes long, which could be too long for an offertory song.
  • so if I need extra verses, just somehow maybe include that fourth verse, but have it be sung, maybe over the ostinato, but just sung like the rest of the verses?
  • and just rereading your post, I probably won't get to the 4th verse anyways to have it be an issue. but to sing it, would be ok, if we get there, right?
  • chonakchonak
    Could you perhaps present it at communion?

And yes, if you compose a melody for the fourth verse, perhaps a solo voice could sing it.
  • Yes I was thinking of just using most of the 4th verse, keep the same melody as 1-3 verses, and put it over the ostinato. and yes, I guess I could do it at communion.
  • chonakchonak
    That composer also wrote "Pescador de Hombres", which is also slow and dramatic, and does not have an interesting melody. I can't say that this is great music.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Pescador de Hombres", which is also slow and dramatic

¿Cómo se dice "au contraire" in Español?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNU9zrZQKhM
  • wELL, to say that, is to insult my musical tastes. I actually love Pescador de Hombres and I like this song too. they both inspire me to meditate and reflect on my relationship with God.
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps it is the text of the songs that people find appealing, because the musical aspects are so, well, limited.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with personally liking simple songs.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • So much of it has to do with what you put into a song, that makes it a song.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I like Pescador de Hombres, and I recognize it as not great music.

These things are not mutually exclusive, and I would never be offended if someone said a song I liked was actually terrible. I might disagree (or I might not), but I wouldn't be insulted.
    Thanked by 2Ben melofluent
  • Thanks to those who gave me the advice on the recitation of the 4th verse, I will work it in somehow but sung.
  • BenBen
    So much of it has to do with what you put into a song, that makes it a song.

But more of it has to do with how it was composed...