Assigning Vocal Parts
  • RA981
    This Wednesday I will have my first rehearsal with our newly formed (amateur) choir. I'm expecting around 25 people. I believe the vast majority of the members have not sung in a choir before. I'm determined to have them singing in parts ASAP. What do you think would be the most effective way to properly place the singers in parts (SAB)? Since it is our first rehearsal and I don't want to put anyone on the spot I don't think listening to each person individually would be ideal. Any tips? Thanks!
  • Liam
    Congratulations and good luck.

I only offer a caution addressed to possible expectatins: understand that true SATB voices are the exception rather than the norm, so most women are mezzos and most men are baritones. Some misery in amateur choirs may arise when choir directors don't understand that reality.

You may well have few or no true tenors. True of many amateur Catholic choirs.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    You might consider singing 2-part music at the beginning (women-men) until you get to know the voices better. It'll be next to impossible to accurately assign parts to folks with no experience without hearing them sing individually. If they have experience, they could at least tell you what part they have sung in the past. If not, you're mostly guessing.
  • I second irishtenor's idea of two-part music until you are more familiar with the capabilities of the individual singers. Two-part music can be just as beautiful and exciting as full SATB.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I think you have to listen to them individually. If it were me, I would have them all come together and I would warm up and sing some simple things in unision, such as the parts of the mass. Have the trebles sing followed by the basses. Have them all sing in unison. Pull out a simple Gregorian tune like the Alma Redemptoris Mater. http://www.mipucpr.org/cantoral/wp-content/uploads/AlmaRedMatGR.pdf and learn a small part of it using call and response, or the whole thing if they are quick.

Then I would make a list (if you don't already have one) and dismiss the group to another place where they might partake in some refreshments. Have each choir member come in, one at a time and listen to each. Ask them if they read music. Give a fifth and see if anyone can sing the third, etc. Then you can roughly fill in your choir.

From there, try a simple three part piece of music, though I would echo the above and consider something in two parts, unless you know there are some good alto readers. From what you heard in the individual singing you will be able to tell if you need to play through each part separately.
    Thanked by 2Priestboi Peter_S_B
  • canadashcanadash
    Two-part music can be just as beautiful and exciting as full SATB.

Yes! Two part music sung beautifully beats out any part music sung badly!
  • BenBen
    A good option/shameless plug:

breadfromheaven.benyanke.com (or here on mobile)
  • Oh, and get the Ravanello Anthology. It has tons of good liturgical stuff for three voices, and in many cases, you can adapt them for two. It is available on IMSLP.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    Another 1+ for the Ravanello
  • Unison singing allows you to explore ......... Gregorian chant, modern (traditional) hymnody, and many other good things. It also lets you know, as you choose a pitch/key in which to sing the unison music, who has the high voice, who has the middle, who has the natural tenor and who has the Russian bass.

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • You cannot make an intelligent assessment of people's vocal registers (and in what section and next to whom they should be seated) without hearing them individually. This need not be a frightful 'audition' process, but simply less than five minutes of assessing each person's vocal colour, range, and register, music reading ability (if any), and will tip you off to any special ability or any or special lack thereof.

Further, I agree with the suggestions about 2 part music. And, do not be ashamed to give your new group a lot of unison things to do. Nothing will build blend, group choral identity, and basic musical sensitivity as will unison singing. You should not let them sing in parts until they can sing admirably (for them) in unison.

And, of course, there is no better unison repertory with which to begin than chant. Also, if you search the unison anthems available from reputable publishers (such as Oxford, Concordia, etc.) you will discover some very impressive anthems by some premier composers which just happen to be in unison.
  • 1. Start with chant and unison on hymn melodies
    2. Move to SB (essentially mezzo/baritone ranges) singing
    3. Move to SAB singing
    4. Move to SATB singing

As far as assigning parts, you'll have to hear them individually. I suggest privately. Nerves are huge for amateur singers who, in general, hate to sing solo.
  • ViolaViola
    I have found rounds/canons useful in the early stages. The singers only have to learn one tune but then (hopefully) can achieve pleasant harmony, which they often find very motivating. Some of them get really excited when they hear the effect. Try Taize things, like Ostende nobis; or Magnificat, both canons.

I tend to let those who can read music sing the harmony parts, otherwise they take ages to learn. And I second the comments about two-part things.
  • You may well have few or no true tenors. True of many amateur Catholic choirs.
    So it's some sort of genetic thing in Catholic genes?
  • Learning chant first sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Of course people's natural tessitura matters, but I would not discount the importance of musical good sense, especially when the ideal types do not (inevitably) present themselves. If I had to choose which of two baritones to ask to sing tenor, for example, I would be inclined to choose the one with better musicality, in hopes that he would use it to mitigate the negative effects of singing out of his natural range.
  • How's this for empirical evidence?!

We have three natural tenors in our (mostly) amateur Catholic choir. Two of the three bear the Catholic gene. (We have three other tenors who are really baritones, but make-believe we are tenors. Of those three, only I was raised Catholic.)

So there you go. Conclusive evidence that being born with Catholic genes does not prevent natural tenor-hood.
  • RA981
    I was going to jump in and teach a 3-part (SAB) piece for their first anthem to be sung in Advent, but based upon everyone's recommendations I may have them first sing a two-part ( two equal voices) anthem to they can get used to singing one part while hearing another part being sung. Thanks for the all the suggestions and please keep them coming!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I concur with Jackson's advice about seriously and painlessly determining vocal timbre and fachs/tessituras. I would offer the time-tested and now ubiquitously known exercise of the great Weston Noble.
    1. Assess the timbre/fach using "My country 'tis of thee..." By the time you reach the third line with the 5th of the tonic key, you'll know where the singer's passaggio lies. You can do this without solos by just skipping to step 2, but you're not looking for bel canto coloraturas or Mario Lanza's.
    2. Pick two male/two female singers whose range is similar. Have them sing "My country" in pairs, switch standing positions, bring in a third singer, figure out by pairing them in different standing LMR(left/middle/right) positions, ask them if they feel and hear the same improvements (or not) in the blend and tonal issues.
    3. Keep expanding the sections according to likely part assignments: Eb for basses/altos; F for Bari/mezzo's; G for tenors/sopranos. Keep switching standing order to find the sonically best configuration.
    4. Determine your SAT/SAB/SATB or Mixed 2pt. from your results.
    5. Then look at repertoire.
    Thanked by 2Liam BruceL
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I don't know where I fall. I can sing Alto, Tenor, Baritone, & Bass. On a good day, my falsetto can get up there with the Sopranos.
  • Works with God Save The Queen, too.
  • SalieriSalieri
    +1 for unison music and two-part music

Look for a copy good-old Oxford Easy Anthem Book (NOT the New Oxford Easy Anthem Book). There are some good unison and two-part pieces in there--How can you go wrong with Howells?

Also look on CPDL: quite a bit of good two-part pieces there, too.

GIA also has a number of very nice S/B two-part motets which can be sung in English or Latin in the Ars Antiqua Choralis series.
  • Another voice in favour of the Oxford Easy Anthem Book!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I would recommend taking a look at the (free to download and reasonable to purchase) Catholic Choir Book, which I would have bought instead of the New Oxford Easy Anthem Book, had I known about it! And the CCB has all of those lovely hymns in the back which would also make for some solid, Catholic four part homophonic singing.
  • Chaswjd
    When they are ready, I would recommend Gelineau chant. The one "pulse" per measure approach of this chant requires the choir to pay attention to the text, listen to each other, and make decisions as a corporate body.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Andrew,

Isn't My Country 'tis of thee just the American version of God save the King?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Chris,

Andrew is, I think, from north of our U.S. border.

Me thinks, 'twas offered somewhat in jest.
  • aria
    So often in our society, people think "more is better", so a choir may be tempted to think, "If one vocal part is good, four is better! Why aren't we singing in parts!?" If you sense your choristers are disappointed that they don't get to do lots of things in parts right away, I'd recommend talking up the beauty and value of singing in unison.

Learning to sing together-- To sing as one voice by matching tone, breaths, and the endings on words, etc. And to watch and understand the director but also to feel the music (timing, mood, etc) together, etc.-- helps make the music beautiful, and supports solid musicianship. Unison helps develop all those skills.

I'd much rather hear all the music done *well*, than hear anything with parts that's done *just ok* (or worse).
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Interesting how much support for 2-part music ... but is there any good 2-part music? And while singing anything is of course satisfying as a physical and social activity, getting into music as music does for many people transcend what could otherwise be an exercise class! As to singing chant, unless that's part of the tradition of the bulk of the singers, seems to me you are asking for disappointment because singers will get disinterested and disinvolve themselves. This is not to belittle chant itself, just that it might be a better thing in a religious setting than in a social setting.
  • I had the same situation when I started my new choir after moving here in 2012. What I found was that some of the volunteers not only couldn't read music (at all), but also couldn't match pitch. All of these folks (the non-pitch-matchers) have now left the choir, but not without a few problems along the way. The note-reading can be taught (if they are willing), the pitch-matching is a much more difficult problem!

The sooner you listen to each of them sing, the better, imo. I began with mostly unison hymns and added in the chanted unison ordinary (that even took awhile with my non-music readers). I also began immediately to teach them to read the chant notation and solfege. The non-music readers did as well as the note-readers on this, for the most part. Now, after this time, my little choir can successfully learn the new English Introit and Communion chants each time we sing without difficulty. Also, they can learn a simple offertory in either SAB or SATB (if I sing the tenor line) to sing a capella each week (from the Simple Choral Gradual).

With much of the familiar Christmas carols you'll need for the Christmas season, it may not be that hard to get SAB versions from the hymn book in place... (assuming you have some note readers in the alto and baritone sections). I also think you might have good luck with the two-part Veni Emmanuel for Advent.

Over time, I found that I had certain members of the main choir who had superior abilities in note-reading, blending, pitch, etc. I formed a small group to sing the more difficult music there. They show up a 1/2 hour before the rest on the same rehearsal night.

Probably not necessary to say, but everything except the chant ordinary was accompanied at the outset. After 3 years, I now have the entire choir singing some things a capella (Simple Choral Gradual offertories, Mueller Missa pro editione tertia and a simple Anima Christi motet that they love). My progress has been slow, but continues forward. I wish you great success...
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Andrew is, I think, from north of our U.S. border.

This is the website of the Church Music Association of America! Are Canadians and other non-real people even allowed to post here? Gain access here?
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • (Running for cover): I intended that comment in purple, but it didn't post that way. Could someone delete it before I get banned and accused of things I didn't mean to say?

Please?

• melofluentmelofluent
    Don't sweat that obvious humor, CGZ. Mirthful it were.
    Welcome back, Mr. Copper.
    Interesting how much support for 2-part music ... but is there any good 2-part music?

You so silly, Mr. Copper! And chant IS a good thing. Anywhere, anytime...like God is all good, all da time.
    I'm listening to Byzantine Orthodox chant as I type, melody soaring above a pedal ison chant. And it is GOOD, very good, thank you veddy much.
    Tell you what, I'm a tad more inclined to listen to chant after singing/listening to Whitacre and Lauridsen for a stretch.
    Tell you what more, chant also enables me to appreciate Ligeti more fully.
    That's the what-for.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Interesting how much support for 2-part music ... but is there any good 2-part music?

I have found some very nice two-part music, ranging from Lassus to Giffen. But, two-part pieces are not as plentiful as other voicings. (BTW: the S/B duet, "Be ye sure" from Handel's Utrecht Jubilate works very nicely as a two-part choir piece.) But I do think that there is a need for really good two-part pieces for choirs who are beginning, but want to sing good music. Most of the two-parters for sale from the publishers are really cheesy things intended for Middle School choruses, and are not worth anything musically. We need MORE quality two part pieces for church choirs, and I do wish that the professional composers out there would do more with this: I am sure that a collection of two-part (Mezzo/Baritone) anthems/motets by composers of the caliber of James MacMillan would be a best seller among church choirs.
  • Why 2-part m/w and not 2-equal? I have no problem with lines doubled at the octave, as long as I have male voices on each line, I've been writing some Latin Offertory motets for SATB a/c, and I've been doing arrangements for 2-equal with organ. I do a rehearsal accompaniment, then add the soprano voice. The 2nd voice comes mostly from the alto, but I have to make adjustments so that it doesn't interfere with the bass line. Points of imitation need to be recast, but the style of these make the transcription remarkably easy.
  • ghmus7
    I give everyone who is interested in singing in our schola a 'voice check'. I have found that this term is non threatening. What i am MOST interested in is whether they can match a pictch or a melody: ie relative pitch. I my experience: EVERYTHING ELSE can be taught - reading notation, vocal production etc etc. However, if matching pitch is poor, it usually cannot be taught. In some cases it can be imporoved with one on one work, but it is usually a given or not. In the cases where i have let someone sing in the choir who does not have relative pitch, usually it does not work and the other choir members complain. However having said all that i understand that with many choirs you hve to take all comers or you will have no choir! Im which case yes, do unison and two part, and situate the weak singers next to the stronger ones.
    I also want to relate to you the story of a singer in a parish in Houston. He had no musical training whatsoever, but loved music. I worked with him one on one for several years. He eventually improved to the point where he was able to sing alongside two professional basses in a performance of the Byrd Mass a' 4. An inspiration!
  • but is there any good 2-part music?

St. James Music Press has quite a few good two part things. sjmp.com

dB
    Thanked by 2CharlesW melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    St. James Music Press has quite a few good two part things.

We used an arrangement of a Charpentier "Laudate Dominum" in SAB from St. James this morning. And the portion of SA duets we simply had the men sing the Soprano, women Alto, quite lovely. Loves me some French double dotted baroque.