Italicized syllables in Vespers Hymns
  • I hope this isn't too neuralgic a question for a general forum.

This coming Sunday we will be singing Vespers. The hymn for All Saints (since the Solemnity takes precedence over the Sunday after Pentecost) has two spots where there are italicized syllables. I understand the general rule that these syllables are to be omitted, but could someone explain then how to sing these? What is the basis for omitting the syllable?

Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • SalieriSalieri
    Often the omitted syllables are a vowel at the end of a word which is followed by a vowel at the beginning of the next one, it's a very simple elision that would happen in every day speech. For example: the phrase "Patri et Filio", in a doxology is sometimes seen. This would mean to make two syllables-"Patr' et", rather than the usual three.

I find that the italicized consonants are just as well omitted. I don't get too worried about this. When we speak English w' elid-and contract and omit things all ov'r the place, simply 'cause we know how th' language works - I'm sure tha' th' people-who daily spoke Latin and wrote these hymns understood how th' language work'd, and simply wrote how they spoke in ev'ryday life.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • tomjaw
    You have a choice... You could sing the italicised syllables, this is done in some perhaps all Dominican Chant hymns, also 1 doxology in the Roman Rite also has an extra note that is traditionally sung.

The problem of singing these notes is that it can destroy the stophic nature of the Hymn. With Hymns the repeating melody is usually more important than the words... the better Hymn writers usually avoided this by keeping the text to the meter, other Hymn writers failed to keep to the meter and so ended up with this musical problem.

Our choir almost always elides those notes, so in the Placare Christe...
    'Tu-ae ad' would be sung as 'Tu- ad' (Not singing the extra note).

In verse 3 we have a problem... 'Exposci-te in' would become 'Exposci- tin' but they have rearranged the neumes, and the torculus has been split.

When I typeset hymns I leave out the note that is elided. This can make it easier to sing, see here N.B. this is the version found in the 1910 L.U. with an earlier interpretation of the melody.

Here is how I would typeset this verse, note I have written what to sing in the line underneath.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Kathy
    The most-used chant that I can think of in which this sort of elision happens all the time is the Veni Creator Spiritus.
  • Tomjaw,

THANK YOU for such a helpful post.

God bless,

Chris
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kathy
    The problem of singing these notes is that it can destroy the stophic nature of the Hymn. With Hymns the repeating melody is usually more important than the words.
    'Tu-ae ad' would be sung as 'Tu- ad' (Not singing the extra note).
    The words aren't just there to decorate the music. In the liturgy, the words are part of the rite itself. Omitting one or two syllables would be like the priest omitting a gesture or a word in his prayers. Especially in a Missa Cantata (or higher), or in EF vespers, the text simply must be complete.
  • Kathy
    At 2:26 here the line from the Veni Creator Spiritus, "Infunde amorem cordibus" (fill our hearts with love) is smoothly elided. It is really not that hard--although Spanish speakers and Italians will have the easiest time doing it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • May 14, 1915, Decree Dubium, no. 4329
    The question was asked of the Congregation of Sacred Rites:
    Whether the regulation given in the Vatican Antiphonary about hypermetric syllables which occur often in the singing of hymns—that is, these syllables are not to be elided but are to be distinctly pronounced and sung on their own notes—whether or not this regulation is to be interpreted strictly, or whether on the contrary it is permissible to slur over these syllables, especially if this practice is thought easier and more convenient?
    The same Congregation ... issued the following Rescript on the question, which had been carefully considered:
    To the first part, No; to the second part, Yes. 175
    Papal Legislation on Sacred Music
    Thanked by 2tomjaw eft94530
  • Kathy
    Slurring is not the same as omitting.
  • In some languages, 'omitting' some syllables in some circumstances is simply how the language is spoken. It isn't an omission so much as a consequence of the fact that written language imperfectly mirrors spoken language.

(Maybe this is true of all languages -- I'm not a linguist.)

(Added as an edit) A few illustrative examples from Latin that are commonly found in ancient texts (both prose and poetry, but most often in poetry, which makes sense, of course, because it was intended to be read aloud and so would be written to more closely match what is (properly!) said):

animadverto for animum adverto
    antea for ante ea
    circitor for circum itor

and so on. There are tons of them.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen chonak tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    I knew my post would bring an interesting discussion... Elided notes always does at chant meetings.

The words aren't just there to decorate the music.

This type of music (strophic Hymns) is a very interesting case, where the words have been written to fit a meter and therefore any melody written to that meter. Some writers suggest that one of the earliest cases of this style of music is the Pange Lingua (Crux Fidelis), said to be written to fit the meter of one of Caesars marching songs.

The Angelic Hymn (Gloria), an older type of Hymn is neither strophic or metrical, so the Music is clearly designed for the words.

The sequence (Hymn) is interesting as it is metrical, usually with repeated sections, but a look at for instance the Adam of St. Victor sequences will find sections where the music is modified to fit the words.

The Processional hymns of the 'Salve festa dies' type have verses where the melody is clearly modified to fit the words.

So with perhaps only one exception, why do the Office Hymns try to fit a meter, rather than the examples of the opposite practice above?

I will add at this stage that my researches in ancient manuscripts as far as I can remember, they always have extra notes written for the extra syllables. I also note that at least one polyphonic setting of a hymn has notes for the extra syllables. So when did the practice of eliding notes start?

The Dominican Antiphonal (1933) has sections after the hymn showing how the hymn can be sung with Elided notes...

So taking a Hymn 'O sola Magnarum urbium' with 9 Elisions in 5 verses, with the eliding or slurring of those syllables, this in effect will omit at least some of those syllables so that a listener will not be able to make out the text.

So with the tuae ad / tu- ad is this not the clearest way of writing the way the effect of an elision would work, would anyone want to demonstrate how the elisions could be written for the 'O Sola'? N.B. I only mentioned omitting the extra note as written in the Liber.

But as long as complex melodies are being used for Hymns with these extra syllables, we will always have the problem of whether we are going to focus on keeping the Melody constant or respecting the text.
  • My Liber has the question put to the S.R.C. as:

<<An regula descripta in Antiphonario Vaticano circa syllabas hypermetricas, quae frequenter occurrunt in cantu hymnorum, scilicet quod ipsae non elidantur, sed distinctae pronuncientur propriaque nota cantentur, stricte et rigorose interpretanda sit, vel e contra liceat etiam ipsas syllabas elidere, praesertim si in praxi id facilius et convenientius censeatur?>>

To which the answer is

<<Negative ad primam partem, affirmative ad secundam>>.

So the Latin word is "elido", which is elide; and an English dictionary will give elide as:

1 to leave out; suppress, omit, or ignore 2 to leave out or slur over (a vowel, syllable, etc.) in pronunciation

Also, elision:

1 the omission, assimilation, or slurring over of a vowel, syllable, etc. in pronunciation...

In the end, with our Roman books, I think it is left to our discretion exactly how this "elision" happens, or not.
  • As part of this discussion, it is also interesting to note that later, with the Antiphonale Monasticum 1934, being given free rein so to speak, what the editors give as a rubric in for this book (p. 1231) is:

B. - DE SYLLABIS HYPERMETRICIS.
    Syllabae hypermetricae seu supervenientes (charactere cursivo seu italico scriptae) semper eliduntur tam in recitatione quam in cantu Hymnorum, salva quidem integrigate sensus.

This is a very regularized (and thus practical), streamlined approach.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • WGS
    I'm often amused at my Angelus Press Daily Missal - as of 1962 - copyright 2004.

Before the Gospel, the deacon asks for the priest's blessing, "Jube, Domne, benedicere."

quite traditional.

Then, on the next page, if no deacon is present, the priest says "Jube, Domine, benedicere."

quite literal.

I don't know if there is logic in this display of elision and no elision.
  • WGS:

In this case, the two forms represent two different meanings; "Domine" is used by the priest to address the God as "Lord"; in the other case, "Domne" the contracted form is used by the deacon to address the priest as "sir".
  • rarty
    In the 1912 Antiphonal, some hymns have all their verses written out with notes, and some only have notes for the first verse. The "supervenient" syllables that don't fit the meter are italicized so that when singing a hymn verse that isn't written out, everyone sings together (using the rules below). But when every verse was written out, the appropriate extra note is given for the extra syllables.

While obviously there was pushback (by Solesmes?) and the 1915 decree quoted above gives the option of eliding the syllables, the original rules (Antiphonale Romanum, p. 52*) cited the precedent of the ancient codices for singing every syllable distinctly and gave a system to modify the tune by either adding notes or splitting a note off of an adjacent neume:

1. If there is a hyphen before the italic syllable, sing that syllable on the pitch of the next syllable.

2. If there is no hyphen, sing the italic syllable on the pitch of the previous note.

3. If the is an asterisk ( * ) after the italic syllable, with or without a hyphen, that means a neume (e.g. clivis) precedes or follows, and a note is "split off" for the italic syllable.
  • MatthewRoth
    Though there was originally no distinction. “Domine” was the only form. The “i” must have been dropped at some point in the later Middle Ages.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • (Posting this anyways, even though while I've been writing it, rarty has just posted along the same lines.)

A matter that may bear looking into, to wit, the actual direction from the Vatican Edition of the Antiphonale Romanum (1912), p. 51*:

De syllabis in hymnodia hypermetricis seu supervenientibus.

Quaestio est de syllaba quae excedit numerum metri regularem, ut in seq. versibus: Cum Patre et almo Spiritu - O sola magnarum urbium - Speculator astat desuper. - Juxta usum apud antiquos receptum, talis syllaba etiam in cantu non opprimenda seu elidenda, sed distincte pronuntianda est: et ipsi tribuenda est propria nota, quae aliquando debet esse in eadem chorda ac syllaba praecedens, aliquando in chorda syllabae sequentis reponi: nam pro tali casu regula uniformis non potest proponi, sed solutio pendet ex ipsa hymni melodia.

In Antiphonario, singulis casibus providetur sequenti ratione.

Vocalis syllabae supervenientis scribitur charactere cursivo seu italico, quo facilius secernatur.

In Hymnis qui per singulas strophas cantu instruuntur, pro quavis syllaba hujusmodi scribitur nota conveniens.

Si stropha prima tantum notis instruitur, syllabae supervenienti in hac occurrenti nota propria non superscribitur, ne in cantu aliarum stropharum confusio gignatur. Sed in qua nota reponi debeat, indicatur eodem modo ac in ceteris strophis sine cantu, scilicet per lineolam - quae ante syllabam posita denuntiat illam in sequenti nota esse decantandam. Si vero deest lineola, in praecedenti. Si syllaba superveniens est per se dictio monosyllaba, signum - ante vel post ponitur prout vel praecedenti vel sequenti notae reponenda est.

Si autem ante vel post syllabam supervenientem adest in cantu neuma duarum vel plurium notularum, aliquando fieri potest ut res melius componatur per neumae disjunctionem, scilicet tribuendo praedictae syllabae pro casu seu ultimam praecedentis neumae, seu primam sequentis notulam. Quod per signum * indicantur, syllabae adjunctum.

Haec sedulo observanda sunt a Cantoribus, et etiam a Notatoribus qui Hymnos ex Antiphonario desumptos per singulas strophas cantu adornare vellent.

I don't have time at the moment to translate all this in detail, but the information I'm getting (if I'm not wrong) is roughly thus:

1) According to the received use of the ancients, these syllables are not elided, but rather, they are distinctly pronounced, even in singing. They are given a proper note, which is sometimes the same as the preceding syllable, sometimes as the following. However, there is not a uniform rule; it depends on the melody of the particular hymn.

2) In the Antiphonale, each case is provided for in the following manner.

3) These syllables are always written in italics. (In fact, a good deal of the time, it is only the vowel which is italicized, giving a clue that should you in fact choose to omit it, the consonants should nevertheless remain.)

4) In Hymns for which all the verses are written out, for each of these syllables there is written out a corresponding note.

5) If only the first verse is written out with notation, any extra syllables that may occur in this verse are not given their proper notes (in writing, that is), lest this cause confusion in the following verses. Rather the notes these syllables should be given are indicated in the same manner as in the verses without notation, to wit, by the little line - which, placed before a syllable shows that it should be sung on the same note as the following syllable. However, if there is no little line, it is sung on the same note as the previous syllable. The little line is also used in the case of monosyllables (I am not exactly sure about the possibilities mentioned here for this, but I still think it is meant to signify in a similar manner).

6) However, if there happens to be a neume before or after the extra syllable, sometimes the insertion of the extra syllable is better served by the splitting of the neume, and these cases are indicated by the * sign.

7) These things are to be carefully observed by singers (or cantors), and also by notators (that's me!) who wish to adorn the Hymns from the Antiphonale with notation for all the verses.

Anyhow, this nuanced use of the "little line" or hyphen is rather remarkable.

(With the caveat: It is no doubt very easy to produce typos in the application of this system. In my investigations thus far, I have seem "Cum Patre et" in one place, but "Cum Pa-tre et" in another, for hymns using the same tune.)

I say this may bear looking into, because it would be interesting to see how this system plays out in each individual case in the Antiphonale. I would think it quite possible that this method does indeed show a unique solution for every occurring case. Finally, with this being the only system set forth in the Vatican Edition as originally published, it would be reasonable to say that, strictly speaking, it is the most authentic practice to follow in singing these hymns.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    In the 1912 Antiphonal, some hymns have all their verses written out with notes, and some only have notes for the first verse.

This is similar to the Ambrosian and Dominican (Vesperale / Antiphonale) published a little later. I suspect that the users of said books, singing the Divine Office on a daily basis, would soon become very familiar with the limited number of melodies, and so singing from just the text would not cause a problem. With the Elisions while you could work out how to sing some of them on the fly other would really be best sung from notation.

Kathy
    At 2:26 here the line from the Veni Creator Spiritus, "Infunde amorem cordibus" (fill our hearts with love) is smoothly elided. It is really not that hard--although Spanish speakers and Italians will have the easiest time doing it.

Thanks for that it is really beautiful, but...
    1. Where was the microphone? was it perhaps nearer the more experienced singers rather than the more confused looking prelates.

2. They are singing at a reasonably slow pace, we would sing this faster (a medium fast pace), so we would have more difficulty fitting in that smooth elision.

3. Acoustic? In many of the places we sing that effect would be destroyed as the sound travels.

4. That is one of the easier elisions to effect, how would one of the more difficult ones work?
  • I suppose I should also add that, in practice, my default procedure is to split the splittable neumes, but elide in the other cases.

My guess is that I acquired this habit from modern editions such as the Parish Book of Chant and the SSPX's Traditional Roman Hymnal, which notate in this fashion.

However, although it may be "farby" I have not yet been moved to change this practice, as it is admittably a reasonable / definable method and seems within the bounds indicated by the S.R.C.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • About elision, it seems to me that the fundamental concern is an artful, non distracting, and well executed performance of two vowel syllables in the space of one note or neume. There are two ways of doing this: !) by literally eliding the vowels over the course of the single neume value so that one effectually has what amounts to carefully performed dipthong, or 2) by artfully halving the neume value so that each vowel gets distinctlily delivered on its half so that the 'metre' is not savaged, no time is lost.
    However one does this it is essential that it be done in a well-rehearsed manner which passes beautifully into the ears of the hearers, is impeccably artful and euphonious.
    Probably method 1) is preferable and the most natural sounding, whilst method 2) would be somewhat more challenging and less natural sounding, and would, to the more attentive and discriminating hearers, be perceived as a commendable moment of choral aplomb. Method one travels the preferred path.
  • rarty
    Sure, a single method should be agreed to and well rehearsed, but the point is that the meter is not necessarily to be kept-to at the expense of singing each syllable distinctly on a full note.

It seems like a hundred years ago (Antiphonale Romanum) there was an attempt to bring this method back (as the old manuscripts indicated singing an "extra" syllable on a distinct note), but it never caught on — possibly on an aesthetic objection, and maybe just because modern hymns don't work like that. Although I've never heard Adorot devote...
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • mahrt
    Anyone who has read poetry in French or Italian knows that it is perfectly natural to elide vowels between words; Latin is also a Romance language and the hymns are poetry. It is perfectly natural to elide vowels between words there.