Why total freedom to write lyrics and the use of popular music styles has damaged the church.
  • From an article:

"He insisted I just call him Phil, but I couldn’t. I thought that the title — Father Phil Marcin — and that black shirt and stiff white collar was a good barrier. It was a reminder to me that there were certain lines I could not cross.

I was a single mom when I met him. I started attending [Akron’s] St. Bernard’s, where he was an associate pastor. We very quickly became friends. We had a lot in common. We used to discuss theology a lot. I think I frustrated him, because I was more liberal than he was. He had a very strict Catholic upbringing. I was more open. I had attended a lot of different churches, but I always felt called to the Catholic Church.
    I always thought that when my son Scottie was on his own, I would become a nun. I never really thought I would ever marry again. But, I thought if I ever did find the right man, I wanted someone who loved God as much as I did.

It was a very spiritual experience the moment I fell in love with him. We were at inquiry class — a course I took to become Catholic — and he put on a song by Joe Wise called “Maleita’s Song.” The words were “I’m in love with my God and my God is in love with me. The more I love you, the more I know, I’m in love with my God.” As I listened to the words, I opened my eyes and I looked at Phil. I really believe God let me see him through His eyes. I was filled with this enormous, tender love for Phil."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJBcTAvqEU
    Article
  • Popular music styles of music are totally devoted to inspire emotions.

The restrictions placed upon composers by the church were there for a reason. The use of emotional music during testimonials at RENEWAL groups drug this music into the lime light and, as you can see here, people mention it as a moving force in decisions they make.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Natur und Kunst, sie scheinen sich zu fliehen,
    Und haben sich, eh' man es denkt, gefunden;
    Der Widerwille ist auch mir verschwunden,
    Und beide scheinen gleich mich anzuziehen.

Es gilt wohl nur ein redliches Bemühen!
    Und wenn wir erst in abgemeßnen Stunden;
    Mit Geist und Fleiß uns an die Kunst gebunden,
    Mag frei Natur im Herzen wieder glühen.

So ist's mit aller Bildung auch beschaffen:
    Vergebens werden ungebundne Geister
    Nach der Vollendung reiner Höhe streben.

Wer Großes will, muß sich zusammenraffen:
    In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister,
    Und das Gesetz nur kann uns Freiheit geben.

Nature and art, they seem to shun each other
    Yet in a trice can draw back close once more;
    The aversion’s gone too that I felt before,
    Both equally attract me, I discover.

An honest effort’s all that we require!
    Only when we’ve assigned art clear-cut hours,
    With full exertion of our mental powers,
    Is nature free our hearts once more to inspire.

Such is the case with all forms of refinement:
    In vain will spirits lacking due constraint
    Seek the perfection of pure elevation.

He who’d do great things must display restraint;
    The master shows himself first in confinement,
    And law alone can grant us liberation.

- Johann van Goethe.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • melofluentmelofluent
    FNJ, I believe you've set up a straw man no win, tictactoe argument here. You are spot on correct with the intent of folks like Wise in that era "composing" music to primarily move the heart rather than all of our faculties/senses. However, the restrictions you infer to be both pre and post-conciliar documents such as CSL/MS/GIRM/TLS etc. are the tools by which we learn the disciplines. But to quote Hammerstein, "You have to be carefully taught." And after that, the teacher has to assess and foster that learned discipline upon his/her charges.

That didn't happen then, and to some extent, is not happening still to this day. There were then, as now, true disciples to the liturgical exercises- the pivotal generation of Skeris, Schuler, Salamunovich, Wagner, and of course, Mahrt, and likely hundreds of other lay and cleric heralds in the new, vast wasteland. The other side of the coin's vacuum (liturgical indifference or confusion) was filled by the singing nuns, the Wises, Repps and Miffletons, the Don Osunas and Peter Scholtes, and then ultimately by the SLJ's and their heirs, who labored to give the folk idiom authenticity. Who's missing from this picture? The guys with the red hats and red piped cassocks. And their parochial vicars in rectories everywhere.

Once discipline is acquired, rules and law are codified and tacitly accepted, these mores won't last long if they're not enforced or cultivated to grow in strength and quantity over time. I daresay that if it weren't for the World Wide (inter) Webs, the burgeoning growth of CMAA among millions of other disciplines would not have happened so rapidly. Many of us would still be left to our devices and abilities, without a cogent, coherent guiding philosophy. And not to overstate the obvious, if more of our bishops were on-board with our love, respect and dedication to the liturgical mission that growth could be exponential. But on one hand when these guys get together in conferences or synods, it's like the three blind wisemen tasked with describing the physicality of elephants. On the other hand, when a "lone wolf" like Burke, Sarah, Arinze or Ratzinger offers solid red meat about the majestic truth found in liturgy, they're immediately dismissed as "medieval" renegades proffering museum church, by THEIR PEERS much less the media.

Along the lines of Al CappPogo (WKelly), we need to be mindful of "we have met the enemy, and he is us." All each of us can do is look in our bathroom mirrors and make sure we haven't become the enemy by inaction.
  • A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

?
  • Though it has no bearing on the argument, I believe you meant Walt Kelly, not Al Capp.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Al Capp was Li'l Abner.
  • If I only had a brain

I knew a straw man once that used to say the above.
  • Don't you mean Andy Capp?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, I'm old and not at all well. Thank you all for your fraternal corrections and charity.
    Al Capp was Li'l Abner.

Abner was a smart hayseed, in that he married Daisy. Next to Jessica Rabbit.....uh....well.....nevermind.....

?

Noel, I don't see anything purposeful in the observation. If your intention was to initiate yet another kiosk of inflammatory rhetoric, then by all means, have at it. To me, it's just another game of pin the tail on some donkey.
  • ronkrisman
    kiosk of inflammatory rhetoric

What a lovely image, melo! Should such a "kiosk" be entered into the listing of collective nouns, between "kine of cattle" and "knab of toads"?
  • Noel, I don't see anything purposeful in the observation.

To me, it represents an example of how this music and prose adversely affected people's lives. I can't imagine the same affect occurring while singing Holy God or Veni Creator. I assumed there were people out there who wonder how and why people were affected causing them to abandon the traditional.

If I want to be inflammatory, I'd have mentioned bowties and the ictus.
  • Kathy
    I thought the main idea of the thread was the Pope Emeritus' statement: "Certainly as far as the liturgy is concerned, we cannot say that one song is as good as another."
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Should such a "kiosk" be entered into the listing of collective nouns, between "kine of cattle" and "knab of toads"?
    Better that than near a "murder of crows" or a "murder of lawyers." Oh, and I thought it was a "knot of toads." Learn something new every day.
  • Not agreeing or disagreeing either way here, but isn't the whole popular music in church thing a really old problem? So one woman heard a popular song set with religious lyrics and fell in love with her priest. Strange to say the least, but was it really the song that pushed her over the edge or would it have happened anyway? Not to mention the priest went along with it, too. My main problems with popular styles in sacred music today involve the watered down stupidity that comprises most of it (think Hillsong and that garbage), and yes a lot of the lyrics I've encountered are questionable-although not as bad as the OP's example.

As I'm sitting here something just came to mind....an experience I had in my senior undergrad year. I took a Bach cantata course, and one day we studied BWV 21, Ich hatte viel Bekummerniss (iPhone doesn't allow umlauts sorry), and I remember feeling downright uncomfortable with the soprano/bass aria-

http://youtu.be/ohmXdR8VFTo

The cantata still remains my favorite, but the, shall I dare say, sensuous-bordering on erotic, and operatic style of this aria condemns it for church in my mind, because it truly does distract from whatever the text is saying. Oh this is about Jesus? yeah my thoughts weren't there-I don't think I could sing about God that way. Maybe I'm just an old prude. I don't know what Bach's church at that time thought...Anyway, same kind of idea just several hundred years ago. Emotional music is very powerful indeed...on a final note, I'd rather not be "turned on" in church, so please keep love songs out of it, thanks LOL

• A minor point: It is tempting for musicians to presume that their medium is so powerful that an ill-conceived and ill-placed song might cause a complete meltdown of a person's understanding of moral truth, the nature of holy orders and matrimonial vows, etc. I get that temptation.

However (and I do not mean to be discounting the importance and power of music), there's a lot more than a banal (or worse) song at work in this story, the woman's recounting of events notwithstanding.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Bach Ich hatte viel bekümmernis BWV 21, for the Third Sunday after Trinity, is an amazing composition, with some theatrics in part two (where the S/B duet occurs). But the first three movements (Sinfonia, Chorus, and Soprano-Oboe-Cello terzetto) themselves constitute a "triptych of profound anguish" that is quite stirring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln9MBa8lXV4
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I thought the main idea of the thread was the Pope Emeritus' statement: "Certainly as far as the liturgy is concerned, we cannot say that one song is as good as another."

That is a great extrapolation, Kathy, but re-reading Noel's post, I don't find that overtly present. History has proven to these eyes that revisionism reigns supreme. The excesses of Ockeghem's parody Masses were decried in his own day, supposedly a part of the concerns of Trent, and now is still esteemed as a compositional genius and relentlessly defended. Okay, got it. To me, a rat wheel of de gustibus.
    Now, to emotions- find me a more romantic passage in all of any music of measure 41 of Pierluigi's "Sicut cervus pars prima" where the tenor and bass voices rise in parallel. How are the emotions of singer and audience not touched? What about Mr. Architecture, JSB? No one's ever gotten teary when hearing "Bist du bei mir" (yeah I know, not Bach, not sacred), "Air G string," "Sheep may safely.....Jesu Joy.....Wachet auf...." etc.? No one's ever been emotionally moved in multiple movements of Vivaldi's "Gloria?" Samuel Barber's "Adagio" is merely an intellectual schema of suspension/resolution? Ligeti's "Threnody" is an inexplicable pastiche of nonsense?
    You go down this philosophical road of discerning idealism in musical idioms and genres and as soon as you think you've found the rule, the exception to that rule will present itself. So why bother?
    The one maxim I've learned in CMAA is (via Mahrt) you'll know sacred music when you hear it in church (the Justice Stewart litmus test.) But I think the same courtesy ought to be extended to other idioms that you have directly experienced, and not dismissed out of hand because it doesn't meet a rubrical criteria.
    And I'd personally be in debt if anyone would remark to the issue of hierarchical oversight.
  • Aside from the Palestrina, I don't see any of the music you have mentioned being suitable for Mass - especially because it is so well-known. (except for the Vivaldi and Ligeti) To play/sing them at Mass, in my mind, would distract from the Mass.

Meditating during Communion or during the offertory..."OH! I KNOW THAT PIECE, IT'S...IT'S!"

But maybe this is just me. I'm sure it is. Is there a rock here that I might hide under in case of hierarchical oversight of some sort, whatever that is?

Melo, you are a gem!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You and I are both spoken for, Noel.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Of course with pre-councilar sacred music things could never start to go horribly wrong (but watch 11'12" of Au Hazard Balthasar).
  • I think that one cannot escape the emotional nature of art in general, and that includes music and architecture among other things. The issue that I have is when music is selected intentionally for an emotional effect that distracts from the sacrificial nature of the Mass. The intention may clearly not be to distract, but just for the emotional effect, not thinking about the sacrificial nature of the Mass, but that doesn't mean that it's not distracting. Enjoyable? Yes. Fun, emotionally rousing, and stirring? Yes. In context with the sacrifice of the Mass? Not always. This is where care must be taken when selecting and preparing the music for Holy Mass. This is why certain styles of music and other art are not permitted for use by the Church. The Extraordinary Form is extraordinarily easier to do this for (pun intended), as there is no laundry list of options to choose from, no arguments about which one to choose, no conflicts (read: division, divisiveness) about who gets to choose and when, etc.
  • I was reading Catherine Madsen's article on kitsch and liturgy (highly recommended) and she has this quote from Kundera in "The Unbearable lightness of being":

Kitsch causes two tears to flow in quick succession. The first tear says: How nice to see children running on the grass!
    The second tear says: How nice to be moved, together with all mankind, by children running on the grass!
    It is the second tear that makes kitsch kitsch.

Our duty in providing music for the sacred mysteries is a fine line - bringing forth the first tear without bringing on the second.
  • I find it odd that the OP subject heard a love song to Jesus and fell in love with the priest (anecdotally). In the Bach duet, it is also a love song, though in this case Christ is a part of it, which is played out as a love duet, rather than a quasi-didactic pop love song (in Bach's day, perhaps the duet came across as a "pop" love piece). Anyways, it seems odd, and would be odd with the Bach, too, for someone to hear that, directed at love of God, and have it be the impetus to fall in love with someone else (admittedly someone in persona Christi.

Recent discussions (or things I've read?) have made it clear that good sacred music balances the emotional and intellectual, whereas there is little of lucid, orthodox intellectual thought in things like the OP music.
  • good sacred music balances the emotional and intellectual

yes. We have emotions, god made us that way. They have their proper place and order. They are not intrinsically evil or problematic, just something that needs to be ordered which concupiscence makes difficult.
    It s also an aberration or lack of order to desire to have no emotions, don't you think?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    It s also an aberration or lack of order to desire to have no emotions, don't you think?

WWMSD? What would Mr. Spock do? ;-) "Live long and prosper" – "dif tor heh smusma" in the Vulcan language.
  • Ahhhhh.....
    wwmsd
    Thanked by 2CharlesW eft94530
  • @Stimson can you provide a link to that article?? Sounds good...
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I'm not Stimson (clearly), but here you go:

http://catherinemadsen.com/Kitsch-And-Liturgy.html
  • Reval
    Slightly off-topic, but this discussion made me think of a comment that an acquaintance made recently. He attended a family wedding in a nearby state, and he said that the wedding was an "emotional homerun". He meant that in a positive way, and it just got me wondering if that's what people want and expect from a wedding, or from church services in general. (I don't even know if the wedding was in a church, I suspect not). The heartstrings are paramount, I suppose!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Umm, yah. Why I've retired from "doing" weddings.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • You can't handly emotional homeruns?
  • CharlesW
    ? Umm, yah. Why I've retired from "doing" weddings.

Me too! I give them all to a lady who needs the money. I am glad for her to have it.

• melofluentmelofluent
    You can't handly emotional homeruns?

Come again, Mr. Yoda?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW