What to do with old hymnals
  • I am a pastoral administrator at a parish and I was recently looking through some of the storage rooms at our parish and I found a massive amount of hymnals. We have five hundred of Glory and Praise from the 80's, the same for Gather 2, and about 400 Catholic Community Hymnals. We now use an OCP leaflet (which wasn't a good choice in my opinion). We are trying to clear out our old school building where the hymnals are as we discern what we should do with the building. What is common practice for disposal of old hymnals? Would a parish want them? I would appreciate your responses.
    Thanks,
    Jon
  • As far as the Glory & Praise, recycling is not only kind to the environment...but also to music programs at other parishes.

A poor TLM parish might take them, to stoke the furnace in the coming winter months.
  • Jon,

Some of the service music in these hymnals can no longer be used due to the revision of the Roman Missal several years ago. However, some parishes might find the hymns and psalm settings useful, especially parishes that can't afford new hymnals.

I suggest that you contact your Diocesan Office of Music or Worship. Perhaps your Diocese has a newsletter or email list where these hymnals could be advertised. If your Diocese has a chapter of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM), perhaps they might also be of help.
  • What kind of heating system does your church have?
  • CharlesW
    What kind of heating system does your church have?

He's showing his age a bit, I think. Those hymnal burning systems have probably been outlawed by the EPA and not been in use for some time. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • chonakchonak
    While "Catholic Community Hymnal" is not hugely popular, it doesn't seem to be junk; so some parish might want them.

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would suggest offering the CCH to some struggling missions or remote parishes that might be using a disposable from 7 years ago or something like that. Contact your Diocesan DM or Office of Worship.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Some Episcopal or other liberal liturgical Protestant parish (UCC, Disciples, ELCA) might be interested in your Gathers. If you have a local or regional communication mechanism (email list, AGO chapter, etc), you might post about it there and see if anyone would want them.