Too much work ?
  • I have an interesting question. I , like many who write music, write it for many different reasons, but I suppose that it could be argued to some degree that I write to please my own sensibilities. My question to you would be this. Is there ever a time, when a Mass setting might be considered "too much work" in order to get it "performance ready " ?
  • Yes, time to put it away for a time until you are a moved to go back to it anew. Happens all the time.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I second this. As a composer, I wholeheartedly agree with Noel on this one. I have recently returned to a six part arrangement of Ave Verum Corpus that I started a year ago. My return has yielded a fresh perspective, and some superior progress.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My question to you would be this. Is there ever a time, when a Mass setting might be considered "too much work" in order to get it "performance ready " ?

I've only come to that conclusion with two Masses- the late Leon Roberts' incredible "Mass of St. Augustine" and Jacob Bancks' "Sacred Heart."
  • Interesting that there are two different takes on what BrBearOFS meant here, a performer's and a composer's PoV.

From the performer PoV: not yet. Our first 2-part mass (Perosi te deum laudamus) is proving chewy. I don't think it's too much work though, it's something to grow into. We're adding it a movement at a time.

As a composer: I always want to make the piece as simple as I can, consistent with the basic idea. That said, I have pieces that will never be done by a parish choir, and most likely not by a cathedral choir, because they're just too hard for the amount of rehearsal time available. They've been done by semi-pro or pickup choirs, so they are performable.

If it's what you have to write, write it. Cut your performers a break when you can. But realize not every piece of putatively liturgical music is for Church. Sometimes it's for the Church Platonic and Ideal.
  • francis
    In general, I write for the ideal church, so I rarely ever get to 'perform' my own stuff. But to my pleasant surprise others have paid me to download my comps and perform them. Just wish I could hear it as the promises to deliver recordings never seems to pan out.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just wish I could hear it as the promises to deliver recordings never seems to pan out.
    Me, too. Yeah, I get (or don't get) that a lot.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I suppose my original question was posed from the performance viewpoint. Once I finished my first two works, I considered that the while I had approached a couple of local music ministers to perform the work, I was somewhat puzzled by the reception I received. The "english" NO Mass is accessible, but I suppose that some part of me wishes that it gets debuted in my home parish. Both Masses are a capella and so I was pondering that possibly doing an a capella Mass would be too much work, to expect. Currently we are into the Christmas/Lenten rehearsal season, so they will likely go on the shelf until after the Christmas holiday .

I have yet to experience the point where a composition was too much to do but I am sure that point will come..

I thank you all for your sharing and thoughts..

Pax..