Looking for a certain song for "All Souls Day"
  • At my church years ago, when I was little, we sung a song/chant where we inserted the names of all the deceased from our church. Does anyone know what songs would possibly lend themselves to something like this, and does anyone else do this now?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The only places I know that do that today are Episcopalian. I experienced something like it at a Catholic church back in the 1990s. It was something of a trend in more progressive places (hence is continued use in Episcopal parishes).

If you are at a Catholic church, I would advise against doing this. It is not really a traditional part of Catholic liturgy, and (in almost all cases) tends to suggest a deformed theology (praying TO our departed friends, rather than FOR them).

If you are a member of an ecclesiastical community wherein such theology is acceptable, you might try contacing the music director at St. Gregory of Nyssa in SF. They do a litany like this, and he might be able to tell you what setting they use.
  • Liam
    Adam is correct that, in Catholic liturgy, while we can pray FOR memorial intentions by name, we don't address liturgical intercessions TO anyone who has not been raised to the altars (the Martyrology is the most expansive list of such persons).
  • I agree with the previous two posts, but it wasn't obvious (to me) that the OP had in mind a prayer *to* the deceased. One could chant intercessions, for example, in which one prayed *to* the Lord, *for* the deceased.

However, my (non-professional) advice would be to leave out specific names and chant a requiem chant that asks for the eternal rest (and perpetual light, etc.) for all the deceased, assuming that the occasion is appropriate for it. The one on p. 1807 of the 1961 Liber Usalis (among other places) is wonderful.
  • Mamaherra did not say that it was a litany or liturgical intercession.

At Mass it is proper to mention name of deceased people, especially the funeral Mass.

I'd think that this sort of a song might turn up at a church that celebrates a Blue Mass at Christmas, for those who have lost family members during the year.

• thanks, you are all so very kind here. I am new and it's so hard, as many people in the church don't want to help me. It was actually in the 90's when I did this at our mass, so maybe it was a "fad" thing that ended. And yes, I didn't want to pray to them, or have it be a litany ,but I just won't do it. Thanks for all your help.