Where can a person attend a Latin Mass in a Diocesan church...
  • between 10 am and 12 noon on Sunday morning?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    12:30pm, every Sunday, Solemn EF- St. Margaret Mary, Oakland CA. What's .5 an hour among friends?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood eft94530
  • WGS
    10:30 am, every Sunday, EF - St. Patrick Wilmington, DE.
  • latria
    12 noon Latin Novus Ordo — St. Thomas Aquinas, Palo Alto, CA.
    11 o'clock AM vetus ordo — Star of the Sea, San Francisco, CA.
  • johnmann
    10:30am EF Holy Innocents NYC
    11am EF St. Agnes NYC
  • chonakchonak
    10 am: St. Matthew's Cathedral, Washington, DC (Ordinary Form)
    10:30 am: Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church, Newton, MA (1962 Missal)
    11 am: Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Boston (1962 Missal)
    11 am: Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, Providence, RI (1962 Missal)
  • Prince of Peace in Taylors, SC: Sundays at noon, weekdays at noon, Saturdays at 8am. (I'm not a parishioner there.)
  • BenBen
    St Norbert's, Roxbury, WI, 11am (EF)
  • MatthewRoth
    12 noon Missa Cantata at St. Martin of Tours, and 8 am Low Mass at Guardian Angels, Louisville KY. GA also has it on weekdays.

St. Mary’s, Norwalk CT every Sunday at 9:30, often a Solemn High Mass. And Fr. Pasley in Berlin Township NJ is the first (only?) diocesan priest to exclusively offer the TLM.

St. Adelaide’s, Peabody Mass., and the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Boston, also offer the traditional form.
  • St. Anne's San Diego, 11:05am every Sunday.

Also look in LA
  • MatthewRoth
    MACW, I think Noel was asking about churches not staffed by PCED societies or other religious orders.
  • Even so, this is all good news. the TLM is finally ready for Prime Time.

Should put a tiny bit of pressure by diocese that continue to force a TLM to after noon hours often in hard-to-reach or even undesirable neighborhoods.
  • CharlesW
    Holy Ghost Catholic Church, Knoxville, TN every Sunday at 1:30 p.m.
  • canadashcanadash
    St. Vincent de Paul: Low Masses at 8:30 and 9:30 EF
    Holy Family: Sung high Mass at 11:00 EF
    Oratorian Fathers of St. Phillip Neri in Toronto.
  • 12 noon cut off...yet another diocese where it is not considered prime time fare.
  • TCJ
    St. Andrew, Fairbury, Illinois (Diocese of Peoria) -- Sunday, 11:00 AM.
  • Holy Rosary, Houston, OF every Sunday morning
    Annunciation, Houston, offers both OF and EF Latin masses every Sunday morning
    St Basil's Chapel, UST, Houston, EF every Friday at 11.00am
    Also, there is an EF parish north of Houston. I don't recall its patron or patroness.
    (And, I believe that there are several others in the Houston area that offer Latin masses.)

(Occasionally a visitor to Walsingham will comment on our 'Tridentine' rite. It's amazing and unforturnate that many people continue to think that only the Tridentine rite can be beautiful, or that it alone is beautiful. Even to the point that when they see a mass that's very beautiful but not Tridentine, they will still call it 'Tridentine'. Actually, our liturgy owes very little to Trent. Its references are almost entirely pre- and post-Trent.)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    [Please note: Noel is asking specifically for 10 am - 12 noon.]

On seeing this question, I recall the late 1980s when Masses in Latin offered under licit auspices were quite rare. There were none in my diocese, and nearest ones to me in Boston were an hour away (celebrated according to the modern Missale Romanum) or 2 1/2 hours away (under the 1962 Missal). For people who wanted to attend one regularly, the travel times would be a significant burden.

Now in the mid 2010s EF Masses are available in most US dioceses, and people fret instead about how their favorite Latin Mass isn't offered during the Sunday morning prime time.
  • gregpgregp
    Prunedale, CA 10:30 AM every Sunday - Mary Queen of Heaven Chapel
  • johnmann
    While St. Agnes in NYC has always had an EF at 11, when most parishes have their principle Mass, as Fr. Justin Wylie said in his homily that got him recalled to South Africa:
    I worry about the situation of traditional Catholics in the Archdiocese. Yes, the archdiocese 'permits' a traditional mass here or there -- but responsibility for the matter continues to rest upon the initiative and resourcefulness of the laity, who with enormous difficulty have to source priests hither and thither as though we were seemingly still living in Reformation England or Cromwellian Ireland. Isn't it high time for the Church to take pastoral responsibility also for these sheep? Do they not deserve a shepherd?... St. Agnes, for its part, guards its doors vigilantly to make sure they don't enter the building 5 minutes too early or don't overstay their welcome by 5 minutes more. Now, it seems, the doors of Holy Innocents will be closed to them, too [It did not close]. Taken together, this is, in my view, a clear instance of exclusion: an injustice which you should bring to the attention of your shepherd, I think. You are fully-fledged members of the baptised Faithful, for heaven's sake: why are you scurrying about like ecclesiastical scavengers, hoping for a scrap or two to fall from the table for your very existence? The precariousness of your community cannot hinge on a church building being available to you as though you were a mere sodality or guild. The days of renting space in hotels and the like must surely be over. You are not schismatics! Are you schismatics?
    No longer, I say, should you think of yourselves as squatters in the mighty edifice of Holy Church, nor should you find yourselves turned out like squatters. Shepherds must needs make difficult decisions, such as the erection or suppression of parishes – that is their onerous duty and in this they must have our obedience, charity and prayer: but never should they throw open the sheep-fold and allow the uncertain dispersion of their sheep into a world full of wolves. Charity, of course, is a two-way street.
  • Just added to the schedule, starting 10/11/15: 9:30 Low Mass.
    Immaculate Heart of Mary Oratory, operating at Five Wounds Portuguese National Catholic Church, San Jose CA
  • While our parish is staffed by the FSSP, it is a diocesan parish. That's what our bishop said, at least.
    Are parishes staffed by religious orders not considered diocesan parishes? If so, we have many in our diocese. I'm interested to know the distinction.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Diocese of Phoenix

St. Catherine of Sienna - 10:00am (with English sermon) [8am with Spanish sermon]
    Mater Misericordiae (FSSP) - [7:00, 9:00, and] 11:00am.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • chonakchonak
    It's not totally clear what Noel meant to include or exclude when he mentioned "diocesan church". I took it to mean that he was trying to focus on the scheduling approach used in mainstream parish churches, and therefore one would

* omit unapproved churches/chapels (SSPX, etc.)
    * omit churches staffed by orders which specialize in the old Mass (FSSP, ICKSP, etc.)
    * omit monasteries and other religious houses

One might want to narrow the list more strictly with this rule:
    * omit parishes not staffed by diocesan priests
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • I guess I understood the query to include parishes in a diocese and under the territorial bishop. In full communion, ducks in a row, all that. Somewhere a Catholic can go and attend a Latin mass between 10 and Noon on a Sunday.

Noel? What are you looking for?
  • tomjaw
    Southwark diocese, London parishes,
    St. Bede's 11am EF Sung Mass
    St. Mary Magdalen, Wandsworth common 11am EF Low/Sung Mass
    St. Mary, Chislehurst 11am (EF 1st and 3rd Sundays, OF other weeks) Sung Mass

Southwark diocese, outside London,
    St. Augustine's Church, Ramsgate 12 noon EF Sung Mass
    St Austin & Gregory, Margate 11.30 am EF Sung / High Mass

N.B. All Masses said by diocesan priests in diocesan parishes.

EF Mass listings for the U.K. here, http://www.lms.org.uk/find-a-mass/mass_listings_autumn_2015
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ss Cecilia and Philomena Brookville, IN 8am and 10am (FSSP)
    Holy Rosary Church Indianapolis, IN 11am I believe
    Basilica of the Sacred Heart South Bend, IN 9am
    Sacred Heart of Jesus Fort Wayne, IN (FSSP)

St Patrick Kokomo, IN has irregular Mass time: 1pm once a month
  • CharlesW

12 noon cut off...yet another diocese where it is not considered prime time fare.

Who says "prime time" is only before noon. That's ridiculous. Sounds like more "Noel" hairsplitting to me. We have masses scheduled all the way from 7:00 a.m. up through the Latin mass. It is the fourth mass of the day - there is another English mass in the evening. All day Sunday is "prime time."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Charles, I agree with you, but I think it is fair to say (around these parts, at least) that the most populated masses are 9:00am-12:30pm. (I see little distinction made, in these parts, between 9am and 10am, so I'd push Noel's time frame back a little. 12:30 pm also appears to be well attended, in these parts.)

I assumed that the point was this: Do dioceses permit, or encourage, Latin mass at times (and in places?) when, as a matter of fact, large numbers of people attend mass?
  • SalieriSalieri
    It is encouraging to see that there are so many places that offer morning EF Masses. Though I do think that the practice of only permitting the EF Mass at St. Lucy's-on-the-Washed-out-Dirt-Road at 4PM on the Fifth Sunday of Every Month, except when there's an 'R' in it, is still quite prevalent.
  • I've got an estate to keep up (if you're serving yourself, is it servile labor?), and 1PM is a pain of a time for a Mass, esp. when there's a 45 mile commute involved. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad I have a Latin Mass to serve at. But morning would be preferable.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • Liam
    It's up to pastors. In parishes where indult Masses were the long the norm, it was easier to allocate "prime" times to them after they attracted a steady congregation. For parishes for whom the TLM is new, a pastor has to consider if and how to deal with expectations of existing congregants (and the collections associated therewith) for Masses currently scheduled for "prime" times. If those Masses are already tightly scheduled, and well attended, I venture it's less likely that those Masses would be much changed, and a TLM would instead be tacked on to the schedule.

It sometimes helps to consider that most of what we think of as a "parish" is, for worship purposes, multiple "parishes" that coexist in the same space but typically worship at different times. YMMV.
  • BruceL
    Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama: TLM (usually Low Mass) is at 10:45AM, Blessed Sacrament Church, Birmingham.

There is also a (diocesan) personal parish in Huntsville, Our Lady, Help of Christians, with Low Mass, 8AM, and High Mass, 10AM weekly. Daily Mass varies, but is always TLM.

The formerly schismatic Christ the King Monastery in Cullman has 7AM and 10AM Masses weekly on Sundays, weekday Mass at 7:30.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • Epiphany of our Lord Parish, Tampa, FL (where, as I posted in another thread, the parishioners who attended the TLM in two separate parishes about an hour apart from each other were shipped off to this one by our bishop):

Sunday Low Mass at 7:30 a.m.
    Sunday High Mass at 10:30 a.m.
    Novus ordo in English on Saturdays at 5:00 p.m. and in Vietnamese on Sundays at 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Weekday N.O. Masses (English) in rectory chapel at 8:00 a.m., E.F. Low Masses at 9:00 a.m. followed by Holy Hour (first Fridays in main church due to higher attendance).

http://epiphanytampa.weebly.com/
  • It's up to pastors.

Yes. I'd be very surprised if bishops, or vicars general, did not keep a close eye on this matter. I'd be very surprised if individual parishes are scheduling these masses against the wishes of the bishops. I could be wrong, of course.
  • CharlesW
    When you have English masses at the same times on Sunday morning since 1965, and those masses are heavily attended, you don't swap one of them out for 50 people who want to attend a Latin mass. You put the Latin mass where time and space are available. That considers priest availability as well. There was no attempt by the diocese to put the Latin mass in a basement or Dairy Queen, but to schedule it when priest and building were available. In all honesty, our parish is perhaps the only one in town conservative enough to welcome a Latin mass to begin with.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • johnmann
    At, St. Agnes NYC (indult EF) and Holy Innocents (SP EF), the principle OF Mass is at 12:30. But I think only one parish priest celebrates the EF in the whole of the city. The rest are visiting priests. Cardinal Dolan is intent on containing the plague of the EF.
  • MatthewRoth
    John, the indult days are gone, even if the Mass originally began under an indult, whether the cardinal-archbishop of New York likes it or not.
  • Liam
    Matthew

I think John was pointing out that the Mass at St Agnes started under the indult, for the reason I noted the issue in my prior comment.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Atlanta- St. Francis de Sales . Sunday EF low mass 9:00. High Mass 11:00. Only place in metro Atlanta...run by the FSSP but the bishop visits there for confirmations in the EF.
  • BruceL
    John, the indult days are gone, even if the Mass originally began under an indult, whether the cardinal-archbishop of New York likes it or not.

True, but have you heard the expression "soft power"?
  • CharlesW
    A bigger problem is finding priests willing to say the EF. Many have no interest in it. A priest in a nearby town said the EF for years. He was transferred and his successor has no plans to learn the EF. This is fairly common.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz CCooze
  • Liam
    To be clear, by "say the EF" that includes not only learning the rubrics, but being willing to deal with the expectations of enthusiasts. Easier for seminarians whose experience with dealing with the expectations of congregants is not yet deeply shaded by the clouds and fogs of reality.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • A bigger problem is finding priests willing to say the EF. Many have no interest in it. A priest in a nearby town said the EF for years. He was transferred and his successor has no plans to learn the EF. This is fairly common.

This has happened several times in our diocese.
  • Not to be cynical, but isn't that precisely why traditionally minded priests are transferred?
  • CharlesW
    Not to be cynical, but isn't that precisely why traditionally minded priests are transferred?

Not always. One was recently transferred to be pastor of a larger parish in another city where his administrative skills are much needed.
  • johnmann
    I strongly suspect it's why anti-traditionalist priests are transferred into traditionalist parishes. See Our Saviour in NYC.
  • I assumed that the point was this: Do dioceses permit, or encourage, Latin mass at times (and in places?) when, as a matter of fact, large numbers of people attend mass?

Yes.

And, as far as I know it is definitely NOT up to pastors in some diocese.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    None in my diocese (Superior) between 9:00am - 1:00pm. One, diocesan, at 8:00am, 40 minutes away.

• chonakchonak
    Yes, Noel's right: changes to the regular parish schedule of Masses (celebrated as its public ministry) requires the consent of the bishop. Most Masses celebrated under Summorum are "private" (i.e., celebrated at the initiative of the priest and not as part of the parish's standard public ministry). No wonder many are scheduled outside of the conventional Sunday morning time "window".