• I think this was also posted elsewhere on this forum.

I think it is great, on the one hand, that they could get some people interested, but causes for skepticism abound, and the notion that they are going to cover what they say in 60 minutes is ludicrous. I've been studying chant carefully for two years and feel that I've only just scratched the surface.

I wonder how many times they will plug their own products during that 60 minutes?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We've heard of the FRANCIS EFFECT. What the Oregonian Tract Society is doing ought be called the CMAA EFFECT. Kind of ironic, how at the dawn of this humble and modest papacy everyone's jumping on the chant sailboat. Rest assured, the LitIndustrialCplex will keep their finger moist and in the air to see which way the next wind blows.
  • donr
    I would think this is the product of Arch Bishop Sample more than anything else, but who knows for sure.
  • I dunno...it looks like they're assuming some previous knowledge. An hour is about all you get people to do a webinar for, and it looks to me like that could all be covered. And yes, they will plug their stuff; why shouldn't or wouldn't they?

It's morning in the Church. Give thanks for your Cheerios without peeing in them.
  • (removed due to likely misunderstanding)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Michael, I may be mistaken, but Brother JQ likely intended the last admonition to my attention. He's outstanding on catching and calling out....., uh, with a flair for words that transcends expletives.
    And he's right, deducing OCP's revived interest in chant as anything other than it is, especially when I crowed about CMAA influence, amounts to pride and hubris. "All we are saying is 'Give chant a chance.'"
  • OK, thanks. And yes, I completely agree that if their efforts increase the use of chant, then hurrah for them.

(I do think that we disagree about whether these topics can really be covered in an hour, but I could be wrong, of course.)
  • ryandryand
    I'm registered. And curious.

Not like they'll have anything that CMAA doesn't already offer, but they're probably going to reach some new people with this, which is a good thing right?

Of course, there's this:
    Rest assured, the LitIndustrialCplex will keep their finger moist and in the air to see which way the next wind blows.

Which was my first (and lasting) impression. But, I still want to see exactly what the for-profits think that their role is in the reform of the (destructive) reform that they helped propagate...
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • " if their efforts increase the use of chant," which it will especially with guitars, to make it something that people will pay money for.
  • Alas, you might be right. That certainly wasn't what I had in mind! I'm willing to wait and see, but I find my (characteristic) optimism flagging.
  • I seem to have a (anti?-) charism for the Technicolor image. ryand, let us all know how it was.

From a business POV, the Big 3 are looking at the handwriting on the wall and figuring out how to adapt. Tra le sollecitudini didn't force Oliver Ditson out of business, but it moved it out of Catholic music as a core area. V2 killed McLaughlin and Reilly and J. Fischer, and forced the Gregorian Institute of America to don camoflage. Now they're having to compete with a host of startups, and they have a certain amount of baggage. Will they be able to serve both chant people and their old customers? Will there ever be a market for a resource with both All are welcome and a good assortment of chant Ordinaries? Time will tell.
  • matthewjmatthewj

I'm registered. And curious.

Are you going to watch it at the office? Maybe I'll swing by.
  • ryandryand
    Yes.

Ride your tricycle.
  • ryandryand
    From a business POV, the Big 3 are looking at the handwriting on the wall and figuring out how to adapt.

Which is what I suspect. Those actually interested in promoting sacred music have developed and continue to develop resources that are better in content and cost than the big 3. A lot of parishes are interested (or already) in moving in that direction (sacred music from better providers), so sales of wasteful subscriptions and licensing fees are falling. The major publishers have to grapple with the question of how to keep milking these parishes who have bankrolled their business model for decades with punctual annual renewals.

I finally got around to looking at what it costs this parish to feed the machine each year. It's gross. And as we move toward "what the church defines as sacred music" (yay for good pastor), I'm not inclined to believe that spending more money on OCP is how we will accomplish that.

But I'll attend their webinar and find out.
    Thanked by 1mattebery
  • I finally got around to looking at what it costs this parish to feed the machine each year. It's gross. And as we move toward "what the church defines as sacred music" (yay for good pastor), I'm not inclined to believe that spending more money on OCP is how we will accomplish that.

Exactly.

Moving from a model in which the same music is sung every year at Mass - with an added motet at times, is much, much cheaper and develops a core of music...instead of joining the contemporary hit parade.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... much, much cheaper and develops a core of music...instead of joining the contemporary hit parade.
    Especially when 90% (or more) of the disposable resources stays the same from one year to the next.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Yes.

Ride your tricycle.

Just realized I'm going to be out of town.
  • ryandryand
    I have to play that morning anyway. Will watch when its posted on their website later.