Communion Chant - Gloria Patri During Advent/Lent?
  • Is there a tradition of not doing the Gloria Patri during either Advent or Lent (or both), when adding verses to the communion antiphon? I seem to remember this, but can't remember where or if it is mentioned in a document.
  • There is a rubric at the 1st Sunday of the Passion (p. 74) of Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum (1961): Non dicitur Glória Patri, usque ad Pascha, nisi in Missa de festo, si occurrerit. This is the same rubric given in the Graduale Romanum for Glória Patri. at the Introit on Passion Sunday.
    Thanked by 1JaredOstermann
  • For the Extraordinary Form, follow the rubrics for the Introit, which excludes the GP during Passiontide: Passion Sunday (the Sunday before Palm Sunday) through Holy Week. For the Ordinary Form, there is no specific rubric that I know of, but I would bow to custom and exclude the GP at least for Good Friday.
  • It's optional the rest of the time anyway in the OF.
  • From what I understand, the Gloria Patri is only omitted during Passiontide - ie from Palm Sunday (from the vigil in the OF) until the Easter Vigil where it returns at the Communio (assuming that you sing the psalm verses at the communio and not just the antiphon)
  • Also worth noting is that traditionally, the Kyrie was not sung for the first four Sundays of Easter, and the Sprinkling Rite "Vidi Aquam" was sung instead. The Singing of the Kyrie returns at the 5th Sunday of Easter.

Not sure if this was an actual rubric or if it was just a wide-spread custom.
  • MatthewRoth
    Passiontide as Richard notes is two weeks long...
  • mahrt
    The Vidi aquam can be the penitential rite in the OF, but I doubt that the Kyrie was ever omitted in the EF.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen