Chant after Communion
  • Is the bold in ¶37 refering to ¶88? Perhaps I answered the question for myself while finding the passages to copy and paste (the rendering is different between the online and print version I have, the latter making the connection less clear; "chant after Communion" doesn't connect to "psalm, canticle of praise, hymn" as well as "song after Communion"). Even if so, the fact that it is mentioned in ¶37 seems to make it a more significant part of the Mass than one would otherwise assume, even based on ¶88.

37. Finally, concerning the other formulas:

1. Some constitute an independent rite or act, such as the Gloria, the responsorial Psalm, the Alleluia and verse before the Gospel, the Sanctus, the Memorial Acclamation, and the cantus post Communionem (song after Communion)[rendered as "chant" in my print copy of revised GIRM];
    2. Others accompany another rite, such as the chants at the Entrance, at the Offertory, at the fraction (Agnus Dei), and at Communion.
    88. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation.

37. Demum ex aliis formulis:

1. nonnullae ritum seu actum per se stantem, uti hymnus Glória, psalmus responsorius, Allelúia et versus ante Evangelium, Sanctus, acclamatio anamneseos, cantus post Communionem, constituunt;
    2. nonnullae vero, uti cantus ad introitum, ad offertorium, ad fractionem (Agnus Dei) et ad Communionem, ritum aliquem comitantur.
    88. Distributione Communionis expleta, pro opportunitate sacerdos et fideles per aliquod temporis spatium secreto orant. Si placet, etiam psalmus vel aliud laudis canticum vel hymnus a tota congregatione persolvi potest.
  • johnmann
    Perhaps I answered the question for myself

I think so.

I always thought it an important, though not essential, part of the Mass. Communion should be:
    1. Proper Communion chant beginning at the celebrant's Communion and ending with the last reception of Communion.
    2. Silence while the choir receives.
    3. Congregational post-Communion hymn, preferably of praise or thanksgiving (rather than an explicitly Eucharistic hymn).
  • Kathy
    Very interesting!

In one place, it is so important that it is a rite in itself.

In another, it is so optional that silence may replace it.
  • a_f_hawkins
    No! That shows the importance of sacred silence. A collective silence, not occupied by acolytes tidying up, or lay ministers of communion doing the washing up, or choir getting back in position and tidying their music, is what is asked for. It is probably unattainable, just like getting the alternative of everybody singing praise.
    Thanked by 3CCooze Kathy CHGiffen
  • Does a "sacred silence" actually mean a total stark audible silence?

During times such as communion, but not at the consecration, I often like to play a quite improvisation on a particular theme. It mighty be the communion antiphon, a eucharistic hymn, or a gregorian chant such as "Ave Verum Corpus" or "Adoro Te" or another seasonal motif such as "O Filii et Filiae" during Easter.

The key is to do it in such a way that people don't realise that you've been playing music, until you stop for the priest to begin the post-communion prayer.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • MatthewRoth
    Hartley, that's what my music director does during the second half of the Canon in the usus antiquior.

Yes, true sacred silence is unattainable in the sense of everyone silently praying without any minute liturgical tasks to do. Waiting at the chair, IMHO, makes it awkward because if the silence is too long, it feels contrived. On the other hand, in the older form, the movement from the ablutions, to the re-covering of the chalice by the subdeacon, to the reading of the Communion verse, to the "Dominus vobiscum" feels incredibly natural.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's not as contrived as you think ... if one actually prays or meditates in complete silence upon the holy mysteries.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One of the positives as parishes and congregation size become larger is that as collections and Communion processions require more time, a director can program so as to bridge the choice gap between Propers/hymns&motets. And still have directed purposeful silences. We've occasionally spoken of the practice of "stuffing" both a hymn and Proper at processionals. Sure, it doesn't explicitly state this as an option in the GIRM, however it is certainly standard operating procedure at the Papal Masses we're used to seeing. And at Communion we've found that the Communio, the hymn and a brief motet can all be accommodated seamlessly to conclude before the ablutions. And voila, the Celebrant takes his chair and there is intentional, contemplative silence.
  • ^^^That^^^ is exactly what happens in our parish, and the silence seems to come at a very good place, and is perfect for silent prayer after communion.
    Thanked by 1melofluent