Whether to keep struggling or just quit
  • I haven't been on here for a while, but I could really use some advice. I'm debating if I should quit playing the organ and canting at my parish. I am the only musician there who tries to play anything remotely good/traditional/liturgically appropriate, and it has been such a struggle. I get some compliments from parishioners regarding my music choices, but the other musicians try to argue with me and ridicule me behind my back (some of the choir members actually talk bad about me during Mass when I'm playing...nice).

So I kind of feel like I'm at a crossroads with this because I'm really being treated very badly, not being paid well, and in addition I'm being totally kept out of the loop regarding major changes like this (and totally being given mixed messages by our priest). I love playing the organ and I love singing, but I feel like working in this environment is destroying me. I don't know what I can do to make it better, or if I should just give up (which I really hate to do)..
  • You have my empathy. It is very sad and deplorable that you have been the purposeful target of such abuse, and have been, apparently, ignored by your priest who seemed, formerly, to have supported you. The situation as you describe it would, I think, be intolerable to any musician with the proverbial ounce of self respect. It isn't as though you haven't meekly endured abuse, been earnest in you musical offerings. The reality seems to be that your services, feelings, and expertise are, in this parish, not valued at all. Your instincts are correct. Look elsewhere. (Have you discussed these matters openly and frankly with the pastor? It is absurd that you have had a musical illiterate placed over you - by a pastor whom you thought appreciated you. Look elsewhere.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I was in a similar situation about two months ago. I ended up leaving my position as DM. Here's what you need to consider: 1. Is this affecting your spiritual life and relationship with Christ? If staying on is just stressing you out and making your prayer life more difficult, then shake the dust from your sandals.; 2. Are you in a position where you can immediately sacrifice the income, however little it is? Some of us make our livings doing exactly what you are doing, and we can't afford to just up and quit, and you haven't suggested that, either.

My two cents is that in a position like that, you cannot make a difference because your decisions will just be overturned by the PTB (powers that be). That's essentially what happened to me. You may have, as Noel Jones would say, a "sacred cow" issue as well.
    Thanked by 2CCooze Scott_W
  • tomjaw
    Shake the dust from your shoes... as long as you can afford it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Be looking around for something else, if you need the money. Then say goodbye to all with a smile on your face.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Is this affecting your spiritual life and relationship with Christ? If staying on is just stressing you out and making your prayer life more difficult, then shake the dust from your sandals

This is such a good point. It's affected my spiritual life quite a bit. So that right there makes it not worth it.

I am going to meet with the priest just to let him know what's going on and why I won't be playing anymore. I still want to do weddings and funerals, so hopefully I will still have that opportunity at this parish. I'm also going to look for wedding/funeral opportunities at different churches in the area.
  • I will pray for you. I understand your situation very well -- it is almost precisely the situation that led to my leaving my former parish, a very small parish in which somebody like me could serve as 'organist' (I do not consider myself a true organist, but I know to play within my limits) and sometime cantor.

In my estimation, the priest (a wonderful man, and indeed a wonderful priest, in many respects) simply knows nothing about sacred music, and he only wanted it to be handled smoothly and reliably, whether by "Gather Us In" or chanted propers didn't matter. I think that this situation is more common than we sometimes realize -- many, certainly not all, priests whom I've met just want the music to happen without drama.

Financially, it was easy for me to leave (music is not my primary source of income, not even close), but personally it was very difficult to leave a parish and priest both of whom I treasured in other ways. The deciding factor was the issue already raised. Spiritually, the whole situation was not healthy, to put it mildly.

Here's the upside: there's nothing like leaving a parish of 10 years for the sake of music to heighten one's sense of why sacred music is important. For me, this heightened sense has led to dedicated and edifying study of the matter at a level that I had not pursued before.

And here is, perhaps, a ray of hope for you: There are parishes that will appreciate what you are trying to do. Have faith that there are. I found a wonderful parish that is far from perfect, musically, but is, on balance, committed to moving in the right direction. They saw to it that I was properly trained in chant, and now I am privileged to pray with them by chanting all of the propers and singing worthy polyphonic music. Since I have been here, nobody has been 'born on the breath of dawn', God has 'formed in wonder' no 'children of the universe', and nary a new church has been sung into being. Yes, there is hope.
  • You've got to tell him in such a way that there might be a chance he will understand.

Last night I watched Haute Cuisine one more time. You may want to watch that, especially the last 15 minutes, to understand the position that he, the boss, may be in.

Netflix

"Hortense Laborie (Catherine Frot), a renowned chef from Périgord, is astonished when the President of the Republic (Jean d'Ormesson) appoints her his personal cook, responsible for creating all his meals at the Élysée Palace. Despite jealous resentment from the other kitchen staff, Hortense quickly establishes herself, thanks to her indomitable spirit. The authenticity of her cooking soon seduces the President, but the corridors of power are littered with traps..."

Based on a true story. And happens with Catholic Priests who want better music.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • If you are not tied to this job for financial reasons, consider that an amazing blessing and leave! Don't be a martyr.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • many, certainly not all, priests whom I've met just want the music to happen without drama.

This is very true. Another DM colleague of mine mentioned that there is basically a generation of priests that don't really think music is that important at Mass, and that the newer generation of priests is starting to realize how important it really is.

Most of the time, whether it is a parish position (organist, cantor, DM, etc) or school (music teacher) position, the admins consider you a "hire and forget" type of person.