Need a Kyrie …
  • Hi all,

I’ve got an Extraordinary Form wedding coming up for which the couple requested the Tallis 4-voice Mass.

This Mass, of course, has no Kyrie, so I’m looking for one to add in with it. We could do a chant Kyrie, but it might be nice if there were one that (more or less) matched the rest of the Mass setting. Does anyone here know of such a setting?

-FG
  • francis
    I revised a Byrd Kyrie for TLM a good while back. It should be on this forum somewhere.
  • Felipe - are you arware that most English masses of this period do not include the kyrie? This owing to the fact that in Sarum usage the kyrie was always retained in plain chant, even when the rest of the mass was polyphony. If I were in your situation, I would follow this tradition. There is a certain dramatic beauty in the calculated movement from chant to polyphony. I have experienced this as being quite breathtaking.
  • I second that, MJO.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In the Sarum Rite, the Kyrie was not only plain chant but also on many days it was troped, as in the following:
    Orbis factor, Rex aeterne, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.

Pietatis fons immense, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.

Noxas omnes nostras pelle, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.

Christe qui lux es mundi dator vitae, eleison.
    Christe Eleison.

Arte laesos daemonis intuere, eleison.
    Christe Eleison.

Conservans te credentes confirmansque, eleison.
    Christe Eleison.

Patrem tuum teque flamen utrorumque, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.

Deum scimus unum atque trinum esse, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.

Clemens nobis adsis paraclite ut vivamus in te, eleison.
    Kyrie Eleison.
    This troped Kyrie Orbis factor gave the name to the Missa Orbis Factor, Mass XI of the Kyriale. The troped Kyrie Lux et origo lucis, summe Deus gave the name to the Mass I, Missa Lux et origo lucis for Eastertide.

Here is the Kyrie Orbis factor as sung by Ensemble Organum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkhk9Z8Lu4
  • tomjaw
    I also will recommend a plainchant Kyrie, now you could choose one that fits musically with the Mass, or The Sarum Rubrics suggest different Kyrie for different feasts... Below is the rubrics at the beginning of the section on the Kyrie from the Sarum Gradual 1580. 1508
    EDIT, Mistyped date.
  • Tomjaw,

Fascinating--a couple of mentions of Kyrie Rex splendens (Mass VII in the Liber).
    I'm surprised there was a Sarum Gradual in 1580. Wouldn't Graduals have been replaced by the Book of Common Prayer in Elizabeth's Church of England? Were the remaining Roman recusants printing Sarum Graduals? I can understand that Pius V's Missale Romanum (1572) might have had only limited circulation in England at that date.

For the original poster, M Jackson Osborne's suggestion of using a chant Kyrie seems to me the way to go.
  • SalieriSalieri
    This might be a useful way to decide:

What mode is the Gloria in? > Find a Gloria incipit in the Kyriale to fit the mode. > Use the Kyrie for that Mass.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • If you're going the "troped" route, Kyrie IV is troped in Cantus Selecti, which can be readily accessed from the CMAA.
  • P.S. I love it when wedding couples get ambitious with their music. A couple asking me to do Byrd's five-part mass I what got me bit with the polyphony bug in the first place.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The mode of the Tallis is (approximately) Mode V (or VI, depending upon your viewpoint). The consistent use of semitone leading tone argues against it being in Mode VII (or VIII). Given the mixed modalities of the parts of the various Masses in the Kyriale, I wouldn't worry too much about which Kyrie to use, as long as it "feels" right.
  • Between the Kyrie and the polyphonic Gloria is "Gloria in excelsis Deo" which will be chanted. I suggest matching the Kyrie to this Gloria incipit after having matched the latter to the polyphony. "Matching" doesn't necessarily mean having the same mode since a contrast might be nice - much as we find in the Tallis Gloria.
  • CHGIFFEN!

STUNNING VIDEO..

Thank you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    FWIW, Jeffrey Quick's edition of the Tallis 4vv Mass at CPDL includes the "Gloria in excelsis Deo" incipit from the Mode VIII Gloria of Mass III of the Kyriale.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • The Sarum rules specified certain kyries (with their tropes) to be sungen at different times and seasons of the year. Though it's a nice theoretical idea, I really don't think that the issue of matching modality is of importance here. As someone above pointed out, even the Gregorian mass cycles are not in the same mode throughout. The English composers eschewed the kyrie in their masses precisely because they regarded kyrie, because of its trope, to be a part of the proper. This, of course, means choosing a particular kyrie for a particular event based on its trope. Which one might have been sung for a nuptial mass someone else may be able to answer.

And, an aside -
    Speaking of troped kyries, most here probably know that the typical kyrie in many German lands was Fons bonitatis. It is interesting to trace this kyrie from its original version, to its troped version, and then to a (macaronic) German chorale which retains the chant melody almost verbatim, whilst the text is merely a German translation of the trope. This is the basis (as many will be aware) of Bach's great pedaliter kyries in Clavier-Ubung (BWVs 669-771). It is still to be found, in English translation, in most American Lutheran hymnals, and is commonplace, as well, throughout Lutheran Europe. It's a very beautiful hymn, which could well be used in Catholic worship.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen dboothe
  • most here probably know

Count me in the minority, but thank you for the education. Which German hymn is it nowadays?
  • I'll put the text and tune up here later.
  • Chris -
    Here is the 1) Fons bonitatis, 2) Fons bonitatis with trope, 3) Fons bonitatis as German chorale, and 4) as it appears in The Lutheran Hymnal (1940).

Kyrie, fons bonitatis, pater ingenite
    Kyrie, Gott Vater in Ewigkeit, gross ist dein Barmberzipkeit,
    Kyrie, God Father in heav'n above, Great art thou in grace and love,
    a quo bona cuncta procedunt, eleison.
    aller Ding ein Schopfer und Regierer. Eleison, eleison.
    of all things the Maker and Preserver. Eleison, eleison.

Christe unice deitatis genite
    Christe aller Welt Trost, und Sunder allein du hast erlost;
    Kyrie O Christ our king, salvation for sinners thou dost bring.
    qui de virgine nasceris mundo mirifice
    O Jesus, Gottes Sohn: unser Mittler bist in dem hochsten Thron,
    O Lord Jesus, God's own Son, our Mediator at the heav'nly throne,
    sicut praedixerunt Prophetae, eleison.
    zu dir schreien wir aus Herzensburgier. Eleison, eleison.
    hear our cry and grant our supplication. Eleison, eleison.

Kyrie igno divine, pectora nostra succedens,
    Kyrie, Gott heiliger Geist, trost stark uns im Glauben allermeist,
    Kyrie, O God the Holy Ghost, Guard our faith, the gift we need the most;
    ut digni pariter te laudare possimus semper, Eleison.
    das wir am letzen End, frohlich abscheiden aus diesem Elend. Eleison, eleison.
    Let us leave this sinful world with gladness. Eleison, eleison.
    2364 x 3132 - 1M
    2388 x 3156 - 2M
    3467 x 2514 - 2M
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Those who play the Bach versions would profit well from taking note of how these organ chorales reflect the respective texts. Particularly, the manner in which the climaxes mirror the text in the third (plenum) setting is nothing short of profoundly, jaw-droppingly awesome, ascending to that astounding high Bb for departing this world with gladness, followed by a calculated descent and relaxation of energy. Taking careful note of this will forever influence how you play these pieces.

(There is also a very fine organ version of these by Scheidemann.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    @ David Sullivan

Sorry I mistyped the date should be 1508, printed in Paris. The dates and printings of the Sarum Books are rather interesting. The following are all scanned but for some reason they are not freely available on the internet. The Sarum Antiphonale, 1519 printed in London. Sarum Missale, 1489 printed in Basel, Processionale 1519 Printed Paris!

Kyrie Rex splendens
    From my reading of the Latin, this Kyrie is to be used on the Feast of St Michael 29/9, Saint Dunstan, and the Feast of St. Michael in May.

Here it is from the same Facsimile copy,

The Manuscript has the following Troped Kyrie,
    Deus Creator omnium
    Rex Genitor
    Fons Bonitatis
    Omnipotens Pater
    Lux et Origo
    Cunctipotens Genitor
    Conditor Kyrie
    Orbis Factor

And then several non Troped Kyrie...

A far as I understand Troped Kyrie are not permitted to be used as the Kyrie in the E.F. I do understand that others have differing opinions.
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the great responses!

I’m well aware that Masses from Tallis’s day and before did not include polyphonic Kyrie settings. :) I have, of course, considered the “historical preservation” angle but wanted to know if there was any particular polyphonic Kyrie that stuck out to anyone here as being an especially apt “fit”.

Granted, given the distinctness of this particular piece’s musical language, that’s a rather tall order! I know of no other piece quite like it: in many ways it’s a “meeting point” between the “endless polyphony” of pre-Protestant England with the new, more austere, Protestant musical language, but it somehow feels different from both of those styles even so.

As a sidenote, while it’s a piece I’ve always liked, I’ve observed that it’s not everyone’s “cup of tea”. In fact, I was rather (pleasantly!) surprised when the groom picked this one over Palestrina “brevis” in F—whose Gloria we sing at most choral weddings at my current parish.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Kyrie from the Byrd Mass for 4 voices might work and is not removed too many years from the Tallis.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    here's the one i set a few years back.
  • There are some non-troped Kyries in the Gyffard partbooks (same source as the Tallis). Maybe I should take a good look and then edit one up to be used with my Tallis version. (I say "edit one up" as I'd have to transpose to match the pitch of the Tallis edition, and because the new house style of EECM makes it pretty useless as a performing edition.)

As for the Gloria incipit. I don't recall my thinking, but it was probably to end on the starting pitch (G). I don't worry hugely about modality in polyphony; to me, the Tallis Gloria is "in majorish mode", and anything V-VIII will work. It certainly doesn't feel Lydian to me. It's a modal train wreck anyway, as the incipit (and the Gregorian fill in the Credo) are untransposed, for practical reasons. Y'all are big boys; you can paste a different one in, or do a different edition.
  • CGM
    There's the Taverner Kyrie "Le Roy" in an edition by our own CHGiffen.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen rich_enough
  • Hi all,

I ended up using Kyrie IX. Set with “do” on D, it transitions well into the Gloria in Jeffrey’s (very fine!) edition, with the incipit from Gloria IV.

The Kyrie decision was made partly in anticipation of the priest’s very likely using the melody of Kyrie IX in the “Ite missa est”.