Ordination of Auxiliary Bishops in Los Angeles Liturgy-reflections?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Starter thoughts/items:
    *Choir under Frank Brownstead (I think) was best I've heard, when I could hear them....
    *Reason they couldn't be heard- insistence upon Mr./Ms. Caruso microphoning for both live and broadcast purposes one assumes.
    *Are Spanish/English Bilingual Mass settings really "bilingual?" Melodically, harmonic structurally, they always lean towards a definite Hispanic ethos. That seems to stack the deck a bit towards "Spanish."
    *Lucien Deiss' "The Spirit of God Rests Upon Me." Pleasant or unpleasant nostalgia and nod?
    * Compelling arrangement of "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" at the (non) Recessional obliterated by applause, porque?
    * Lovely post-liturgy homily by Bishop O'Connell with Irish twist jokes, and wonderful Spanish in brogue.
    Anyone else watch?
  • I did, and I loved the Holy God We Praise Thy Name."
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • eft94530eft94530
    Link to video?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No one seems to have posted anything yet, eft. Richmond doing well?
    @Paul- you are always ever the gentleman, Paul. I considered every comment and don't think I was off base. If you were in the cathedral, do the songleaders' audio output dominate as much as on media?
  • G
    I can't speak to the Los Angeles cathedral, but in other churches where balance seems decent enough to me as a PIP, cantors seemed grossly overmic'd on television.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Mass of Creation! Woohoo!
    Kyrie is called the "Penitential Act." Well I guess that settles that.
    Each reading in a different language making this a quadlingual Mass (English, Spanish, Korean, Latin).
    "Amen, amen, forever and ever, amen!" Please tell me there was brass and timpani.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    JM, I didn't come into the telecast until the remarks of the nuncio and the archbishop, so I had no idea that MoC must have been the "Glory." Yeesh. They could've given Paul Ford a nod and done a Psalitte setting.
    Oh, and my early onset was showing that I forgot "Great is the Lord" is Toolan, not Deiss. All I could think of was remembering that tune as the great ode to the pentatonic scale. And thanks to "Some call me "Tim, Tim the Enchanter'", I now know the choral Offertory was Craig Courtney. I don't regard Courtney as a publisher's mercenary, he's written some fine stuff for church choirs, but this work seemed a little too English precious. And that was the first occasion to hear the (in)famous Misa Luna. And the last.
    I didn't recognize the Magnificat. No surprise it's Haas using the famed Alice Parker/Marty Haugen cum Copland "Americana" melodic approach. I think it would've been cooler if they'd done the St Gregory SSA version.
    And the Grosser Gott, sweeter to know in that maestro Ferguson I believe just passed away. Too bad there was all that applause.
    In the end, it was pure LA, all over the map and you need GPS.
  • chonakchonak
    The program was aired on EWTN twice, and was streamed by the archdiocesan website but it is not (yet?) on YouTube.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My first thought from looking at the program is that His Excellency, Bishop O'Connell, completely looks the part. Some other bishops just don't look... quite... episcopal... when they're first ordained/consecrated. Bishop O'Connell looks like he was a Bishop long before this.
  • Melo- John Ferguson is alive and well and living in Northfield, MN.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh, early onset again, David. I thought someone at St. Olaf's passed away recently. My apologies and thanks.
  • I didn't recognize the Magnificat. No surprise it's Haas using the famed Alice Parker/Marty Haugen cum Copland "Americana" melodic approach. I think it would've been cooler if they'd done the St Gregory SSA version.

It's one of my favorite settings, based on the Scottish folk tune, and has been well received the times I've played it (scheduled by others) across multiple parishes. As much as I love it and the original tune, though, it doesn't feel right to me at an ordination.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    it doesn't feel right to me at an ordination.
    This.
  • ronkrisman
    it doesn't feel right to me at an ordination.

I do not understand this comment. Certainly the Magnificat is appropriate at an ordination, isn't it?

It seems to me that the relevant questions about this selection are: 1) is the text a good paraphrase; 2) is the tune a good one? A negative response to either question would seem to rule out the setting for any Mass, not just an ordination Mass.

A lot of folks think the Magnificat is a "Marian" hymn. While placed on the lips of the Blessed Virgin in the Gospel according to Saint Luke, it is a canticle praising the majesty, the mercy, and the justice of God. However, the planners may have chosen it because of the September 8 feast, which received little play in the liturgy.

I'm more concerned about the use of "Lord, Whose Love in Humble Service" as one of the opening processional hymns. Singing stanza 4's "Called from worship into service / Forth in your great name we go" makes me wonder at the appropriateness of the text for an opening hymn. Are the folks coming or going?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • It seems to me that the relevant questions about this selection are: 1) is the text a good paraphrase; 2) is the tune a good one? A negative response to either question would seem to rule out the setting for any Mass, not just an ordination Mass.

My concern isn't with the text (I think it's fine) or the tune (I like the tune) or the Magnificat in general; my sense is that this particular setting is too light and lilting to fit comfortably in this particular context (an episcopal ordination Mass at a cathedral). I feel like you need something a bit heftier tunewise there.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • My problem is that Haas appropriated a modern folk tune that is regularly sung with its original words... Sure, Haas is not the first to do that, but the fact of someone having done it already is not a justification to do it again.