The Imitation of Christ - Thomas a Kempis
  • I highly recommend, or remind if forgotten, this great masterpiece and how it would be of enormous importance to us all. One can obtain "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis (translated by Rev. William Benham)
    from the Havard Classics online and a wonderful audio of it on Librivox.org.

I have never heard any clergy in recent times, read from it or use it within the context of a homily. More's the pity!

https://librivox.org/the-imitation-of-christ-by-thomas-a-kempis/

• A priest whom I had confessed to once gave it to me in the hope it would help me in a particular struggle. Apart from that I never heard a cleric speak of it.
  • I received a copy as a gift from a defrocked priest, along with Herodotus's Histories and Richard McBrien's Catholicism.

These are strange times we live in.
  • This book was the confirmation gift of my mother in law to each of her daughters. I dove into a copy once, and it has changed my appreciation of the faith.

Wonderful book. Bedtime reading. Short snippet reading. Holy Hour reading.
  • My great uncle was the Abbot at St. Bernard Abbey (Cullman, AL) for many years. One of the many wonderful gifts that he gave me was a copy of De Imitatione Christi, many years ago. He told me (I have no idea whether it is, or was, accurate...) that apart from the Bible, no other book has been translated into more languages. And yet, I dare say, many American Catholics have never heard of it. Sad. An amazing book. Thank you for bringing it to mind.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    My favorite translation is "My Imitation of Christ" by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood. As an added bonus, buying a copy of the book helps fund the Sister Adorers of the Precious Blood.
  • Kathy
    St. Therese knew The Imitation of Christ by heart.

Her cousins used to have a kind of parlor game where they would call out a page number at random, and the 14 year old Therese would recite it from memory.
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • (deleted)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • All of you make me wish to revisit this gem. I laid it aside decades ago. Perhaps now is the time for it to speak its wisdom. It waits there, on one of my shelves, not to distant from Newman, one of those lovely old Peter Pauper Press boxed editions.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • I am going blind, so audio books/recording of works like this help a lot!