Help with EF rubrics for Sept. 8 and Sept. 11
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm making a program for an EF Missa Cantata on Sept. 8 and am having trouble figuring out if there is a Gloria, a Credo, or whatever. I'm very new to the rubrics for weekdays, but It says this in my missal:

08 Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Double of the second class - white

Does this mean the Gloria is sung, but no Credo?

Also, there is a possibility of an EF Requiem High Mass on Sept. 11, commemorating the events of 9/11. How would the propers, ordinary and collects be different from a Requiem Mass for a departed person? Any help with either of these would be much appreciated.

• Your missal obviously predates 1962...

There ought to be a Gloria and Credo according to 1962 (I don’t have an Ordo in front of me to confirm this).

The sung Propers never vary. There are various Mass formulae for Requiem Masses, which means you usually change the collect, secret, and post-Communion. There should be one for the anniversary of death. Your priest needs to look at a missal and rubrical guide to make the call. The readings should be from Revelation and John 6.

I’m not sure if it was ever permissible to sing multiple collects (and thus have multiple orations at the other two places) at a Requiem. But I have seen it done, and it would be appropriate given that Fr. Mychal Judge was killed and that there are prayers specifically for priests. Hence my caution about the readings: if it is only for departed priests, the lesson is not as above.

There is no processional or Subvenite (since this is not a funeral in the body’s absence). You ought to have a catafalque even if the Mass itself is not sung. You would sing the Libera Me while the catafalque is sprinkled and incensed and then the prayers following it. There is no recessional, not even the In Paradisum.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • tomjaw
    See here N.B. 1962 Rubrics... http://www.lms.org.uk/find-a-mass/ordo_2015_sept

NATIVITY OF BVM II Cl W
    Gl Cr Pr of the BVM (et te in Nativitate)
    Commem of S Adrian M at Low Masses

So Gloria, Credo, Preface of the BVM. The older Rubrics will probably have the Comm of S. Adrian at all Masses.

Requiem Mass as found in the Liber etc. The big choice will be for the celebrant, whether to use the Epistle and Gospel for a priest or the usual Anniversary Mass. Collect could be of the Anniversary, but could be another from the list if it is more appropriate.

imageimage
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so very much for the information! I would have never discovered this on my own. Thanks for the link to the ordo, Tomjaw, and for the note about the Gloria, Credo and Preface. Very grateful for the notes about the Requiem and esp. about remembering Fr. Judge and using the catafalque. This ought to be quite a beautiful occasion.
  • On a catafalque: your MC should know how to build one if you can’t borrow a coffin. (Building them is one of the best things as an MC!) But if all fails, simply lay the black pall on the ground...