Help with articulating principles of sacred music
  • Friends,

I just joined the forum, though I've been reading discussions here on and off for a while.

My question has to do with articulating the principles that undergird liturgical music. Over the weekend, I've had two requests asking me to talk about these principles. One of the questions was regarding a video at CC Watershed on sacred vs. secular music, whether that's actually what the church teaches or not. The other was on an article that argued that "Praise & Worship" isn't actually worship, the Mass is (it's an article by Fr. Christopher Smith from the Chant Cafe back in 2011). Both questions were asking for principles to understand what exactly is meant by "sacred music" and what are the principles as articulated by the Church that underly liturgical music. I thought this would be a good opportunity to revisit what I got in seminary, and to learn some more.

I've read through a few discussions on here (the entire thread on "Sing to the Lord" by the USCCB), and am going to revisit Musicam Sacram (I re-read Sacrosanctum Concilium over the summer).

What I seem to get, especially from the discussion on STTL is that, well, the Church, at least in the US, simply hasn't given a clear definition of sacred music, and that STTL presents contrary currents of thoughts, and effectively rubber-stamps the vast gamut of styles and approaches one finds in the Church in the US today.

Is that an unfair assessment? If not, then, would it be ok to say that our Bishops have not given us clear guidance? And so, in effect, we are left with what I see are basically two approaches to sacred music, that seem to be, basically, two approaches overall to the Mass and liturgy in general, two approaches that would be reflected by say, members of CCMA vs. the NPM, and seen in this forum and places like the Chant Cafe, vs. the Pray Tell Blog? [If I had to articulate the main differences between these approaches, it would be one, the liturgy as a received reality one enters into, and the liturgy as essentially malleable for missionary or pastoral goals.]

Just a little bit about myself and my context: I'm a recently ordained priest, parochial vicar in a bustling, multicultural parish in the Southeast (my name is the pseudonym of my blog. It however lists my real name, so if anyone is interested, you can find out who I am :)). The choirs are divided by Mass times, volunteer staffed, and use the old, worn Glory & Praise hymnal. The Sunday evening Mass is a "Praise Band." Music is the standard 4-hymn sandwich, though I've managed to get some Latin (for Advent & Lent for the Ordinary), and the at least one Mass uses the propers at the beginning of Communion. At the Sunday Masses I usually chant several of the dialogue parts, as well as the Our Father, and the congregation has been following along quite well. The pastor hasn't articulated a very clear vision with regard to music, and I do have a little bit of freedom to teach, though I've not really had the time to focus on this in my two years here. He recently hired a music director, part-time, whose main formation is from GIA and OCP, but who is very willing to learn. I guess I would confirm all those stereotypes about newly ordained priests being more "traditional" in their liturgical leanings. I really do want to teach and lead, as much as I am permitted to, but I also don't want it just to be a matter of my preferences or tastes, but to figure out what the mind of the Church might be. [Then there's the whole can of worms of the Spanish Masses. I am the Spanish-speaking priest as well.]

Thanks for your attention to this, and for all y'all's hard work in this much neglected area of pastoral life.

PS: On my occasional blog I delve into liturgical questions, and STTL was used to counter my assertion about the primacy of chant at Mass (by one of our musicians, incidentally).
  • FWIW, if you go with SC and the GIRM as your main references, the picture you get is this: the Church desires that the Proper and Ordinary of the Mass be sung, preferably in Latin, and through the medium of Gregorian chant, as has been handed down to us over the centuries. This is taking all the first options from the GIRM regarding the Entrance Procession, the Offertory Procession, and the Communion Procession. SC mentions that the faithful should be able to sing parts of the Ordinary (better if it was all, in my view) in Latin. It specifically mentions that, as you have probably already read.

If you are promoting the fully sung Mass, complete with Proper and Ordinary sung, then you are already advocating what's in the mind of the Church. This is clear in the documents that She has given to us over the past few decades, especially SC and GIRM. I consider MS and SttL (especially the latter) to be secondary to SC and the GIRM. (This is all for the OF, as the EF is much clearer in what is required, and choice doesn't come into play nearly as much).

As to refutation of whatever SttL says, I'm not sure I can help you with that right now, as I don't know the document well enough to surmise which passage may have been used in the argument against you. One of my wiser colleagues on the forum may have additional information for you. (I'm really hoping that they chime in and reply to your post: many of them probably have wonderful insights for you).

Thank you for taking up our cross with us. We need more priests like yourself who appreciate Sacred Music and the Tradition and patrimony of the Church. God bless you and welcome to the forum!
  • STTL was simply put together by US Bishops in my opinion to try and justify the mess that they have made by expanding the role of musicians at every Mass (Sung Responsorial Psalm and Gospel Alleluia) and permitting popular forms of toe tapping music to take over so that it becomes well near impossible to have professional, trained musicians serving at all Masses...not only because of expense but also because so many will not lower themselves to leading a music program when they could go to a protestant church and be paid well to play and sing what they spent money on learning to play and sing. And to be respected.

No reputable music school teaches how to lead pseudo-contemporary music in a Catholic church...anyone want to venture why that's true?

The bishops realized that this document fell short of what Rome wanted and did not present it to Rome for approval.

In the US, it is not common to follow the letter of the law when the law, upon inspection, was found to be flawed and never made law.

That is, unless you are Catholic and enjoying playing and singing popular style music at Holy Mass. Which does make it less than Holy in many, many ways.

Welcome to the forum as a poster!
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Father,

I am far from an expert on these matters, but I have had the experience, recently, of helping a priest think through the merits of his chanting many parts of the mass, against the wishes of some complaining parishioners (but very much appreciated by others). That's not exactly the issue you are facing, but not dissimilar either. So the issue of how to explain these matters is front of my mind. Again, I'm no expert.

I certainly would agree that SC and GIRM should take precedence over STTL. Indeed, given the status of STTL, as was mentioned, it seems that there could be no real question on that matter.

But it sounds like you are more or less familiar with those documents (and gaining familiarity is easy, in any case). I take it that you are also struggling with the issue of how one might characterize or identify truly sacred music as opposed to secular or even religious but not liturgically appropriate music. To a certain extent I think that you have to rely on the judgment of musical experts -- however (and this is a crucial caveat!), if said 'experts' cannot explain their judgements to you, by way of reference to Church teachings, then you should be very suspicious. My 2c.

At the same time, there are some rules of thumb that I think can be fairly easily understood by anybody, non-musicians alike. I'll try to articulate some of them, in no particular order, and making no pretense that they are equally important, and certainly not exhaustive.

These are my own principles (which is not to say that I made them up, but only that I claim no authority for them other than that they help me think more clearly), and are certainly fallible, debatable, etc. I offer them for your consideration, not, I say one last time, as an expert in these matters. These principles are closely connected with one another, and could probably be summed up in some pithy phrase, if only I were pithy.

1. Sacred music should turn one's mind to worship, celebration (of the right things!), and prayer -- the things that we are supposed to be doing when the priest offers mass. Therefore, music that inevitably recalls to mind the secular (much less the profane) is not sacred. A consequence is that music whose style is taken from secular music is not sacred. Broadway music is fun (for some...not me), jazz is wonderful, folks songs are...folksy. When we hear such music in church, our minds (sometimes perhaps subtly) are directed not towards God or Our Lord but towards Broadway musicals, cool jazz clubs, and campfires. (We don't have to think explicitly of campfires and jamborees for our minds to be pointed in that direction.)

2. Sacred music enhances rather than distracts from what is happening and from what we are supposed to be doing. It is never about the music per se. Music that calls attention to itself is distracting. This principle has several implications, among them:

(i) Instruments matter. Some instruments 'command' one's attention in ways that others do not. Cymbals come to mind.

(ii) Music that is appropriate for one part of the mass might not be appropriate for another part. In some parts of the mass (e.g., the Gloria), what is being sung is at center stage, and for those parts, a certain kind of 'calling of attention' to it is appropriate (not the kind that says "listen to the amazing way that I can jump octaves with my voice" or "be amazed as I play scales faster than a speeding bullet", but the kind that says "listen to these words; they are important and beautiful"). At other times, the music is very much in a secondary (or tertiary) role, and should be chosen accordingly.

(iii) Some music is never appropriate, because it is designed to call attention to the one 'performing' it. This sort of music can be very exciting in the concert hall, jazz club, or stage, and there is something wonderful about witnessing a truly talented musician play or sing fantastically difficult passages in a musical way, but not as part of the mass. (By the way, the music need not be difficult in order to call attention to itself or the musician, nor does difficult music necessarily call attention to itself or the musician.)

3. Sacred music should not pander to the basest parts of us, but strive to elevate us. It is quite easy to play a sequence of sounds that is satisfying. I demonstrate this to my students all the time. Just do this: Play a major triad for a few beats, add the 7th for a few beats. Wait a couple of seconds. Everybody in the room is dying to hear the triad again, and feels 'satisfied' when they do. There is, alas, a lot of music written for the church that follows something like this model. It is just about the shortest musical journey that has a beginning, middle, and end. There are occasions, even in sacred music, when a short journey is merited. But most of the thoughts that are being expressed during the mass are not so simple, and the music should reflect that fact. There is nothing wrong with pausing here and there on a nice major triad, of course. The point is only that sometimes we should trust that people can follow a longer or more complex journey to that conclusion.

To illustrate the point, let's quickly compare the cadence-points of two pieces of music. First, 'City of God'. (I know, it's like shooting fish in a barrel...) The chord structure is: E, F#m/E, B/E, E. This structure repeats ad nauseum through the verses. (The chorus is slightly different, no better.) Notice two things. First, it 'gives us what we want' (an E major chord) very quickly, repeatedly, and in the same way every time. Second, it never really even completely takes it away, because there is an E in the base of every one of these chords. That's a cool, toe-tapping, thing to do in a pop song. Not so much in church music. People are capable of listening to better. For a 'fair' comparison I'll pick a traditional chant that is basically in a familiar major key and is quite short and simple -- Salve Regina. (I'll assume it's chanted with E as the root ('do') to make the comparison easy.) The musical pauses occur (on one reading, at least) as follows (with '|' marking a major cadence point)

B B F# E | B B | G# B E | E B A B E | E B B G# E | E B A B E

So yes, we get that satisfying E (most of the time), but we get there in different ways each time, and generally more slowly.

4. Words are important. The lyrics of sacred music should be...sacred. At a minimum, they should be consistent with Catholic theology, but presumably much more is desired.

Compare the lyrics of the two songs I just mentioned. One says that we are sons of the morning (whatever that means) and exhorts us to 'build the City of God', which sounds vaguely hubristic. The other, well, you know what it says. Moreover, the music of Salve Regina is crafted to fit the text, and thereby elevates the text. One gets the distinct impression in the former (and in much non-sacred 'religious' music) that the text is just fine so long as it (sort of) fits the meter of the song.

Anyway, those are some thoughts. I hope that they are helpful to somebody.
  • dad29
    How about Pius X? 'Sacred music should glorify God AND elevate the minds AND hearts of the faithful to God.' Note the conjunctions which are absolutely critical. So the music does not 'glorify man.' And if it is merely sentimental, it does not 'raise the mind.' On the other hand, if it is merely academic, it will not 'raise the heart.'

And "sacred music" is written with 'sacred text,' not paraphrases thereof. The texts of the Mass are considered 'sacred' as are all the texts of the Bible. No other music is "sacred." It might be good stuff, or contribute to pious sentiments. But it ain't sacred.

And in real 'sacred music' the music is an enfleshment of the text--that is to say, the text drives the music, meaning, in most cases, that the rhythm of the music is dependent on the rhythm of the text. This is why Gregorian Chant has pride of place. (You will note that genius composers were able to find ways to make the music fit the text, even though the music was in 3/4, 4/4, or 6/8. But they were geniuses.)

Hope that helps!
    Thanked by 1Fr_Gashwin
  • Father,

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't start with Sing to the Lord, or Music in Catholic Worship, or even Sacrosanctum Concilium or GIRM. Avoid arguments based on pre- or post- conciliar ideas, OF or EF. Instead, use older (or even much older) documents. I have a book called Papal Legislation on Sacred Music, which presents some very important ideas which have guided the Church for centuries.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    As it happens, Fr. Smith just published a follow-up to his widely republished article on "Praise and Worship" music; that can be read over at Chant Cafe.

Some of the Church's basic ideas about sacred music are presented on the Frequently Asked Questions page on the CMAA web site
    http://musicasacra.com/about-cmaa/faq/

This material was written as a booklet about 2006, and it's only a selection of questions. There are a number of basic areas not addressed there, such as the musical structure of the Mass, consisting of the ordinary and the propers. But it's a start.

I think our president Bill Mahrt's book "The Musical Shape of the Liturgy" (PDF) can also be helpful.
  • ^^ Thanks for pointing that out. ^^

This statement is very telling indeed:

The most virulent criticisms of the article center around the pronoun “I”.
  • Friends ... thank y'all very much!

I saw Fr. Smith's update last night as well. I think he does a stellar job there of laying out principles.

Mr. Dickson, thanks for that explanation from the structure and nature of music itself. That is, I think, most helpful. It moves the conversation out of personal subjectivity or cultural relativity.

I had already shared the FAQ from this site with our new music director. He was receptive. I've read through most of STTL actually since yesterday. It is helpful in many regards. I'm thinking of a training day/workshop for our musicians to go over principles, as well as church documents. I really don't know how familiar they are with any of this stuff.

Again, my sincere thanks, and I'll keep checking in. The next thing is going to involve racking my brains about the Spanish Mass!

God Bless y'all.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dear Dad!
    And "sacred music" is written with 'sacred text,' not paraphrases thereof. The texts of the Mass are considered 'sacred' as are all the texts of the Bible. No other music is "sacred." It might be good stuff, or contribute to pious sentiments. But it ain't sacred.

What do we then do with texts such as "Phos Hilaron"....."O magnum mysterium"..."Anima Christi".....etc.?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • dad29
    If you're asking what a hymn is, melo, then ask the question. Or if you're asking 'what is devotional or pious music,' then ask the question. If you're asking 'what is a prayer in music,' then ask about the Ave Maria most of which is not scriptural.

• matthewjmatthewj
    The excellent four part series of articles written by His Excellency, Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of Phoenix articulates sacred music so well:
    http://www.adoremus.org/0512SingingtheMass.html

There is also the document penned by Archbishop Sample while he was in Michigan.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Fr_Gashwin
  • eft94530eft94530
    Fr_Gashwin,

For "early" material see
    http://www.amazon.com/Papal-Legislation-Sacred-Music-1977/dp/0814610129
    Papal Legislation on Sacred Music 95 A.D. to 1977 A.D.
    by Robert F Hayburn

See Forum Discussion
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/2182
    Liturgical Music Document Literacy Challenge
    which provides a helpful exercise to grasp the historical flow
    of the mind of the Church for Liturgical Music from 1903 forward.

The 1903 and 1958 docs give definitions of music types.

The 1963 doc in isolation can leave a reader with the wrong impression.
    See Forum Discussion
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/12693
    which provides the missing scaffolding and connects the doc with the past.

For end-of-council onward see
    Thirty-Five Years of the BCL Newsletter 1965-2000
    by USCCB
    Each newsletter is a monthly four-plus-page doc.
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/1421
    Use the Forum Discussion search (USCCB BCL) and find informative excerpts.

As for the GIRM, reviewing its USA history of adjustments is helpful too.
    There are Forum Discussions about these also
    (and I will search for my fragments if you want those too).
  • The injection of the subjective as the principal criterion by which many have come to evaluate their appreciation of the liturgy has led precisely to the idea that, because I like it, it must be right. A predilection for Gregorian chant, Latin, or the treasury of sacred music is then demoted from its status of connaturality with the Roman liturgy, which is supported by Sacrosanctum concilium and Musicam sacram, to a mere option in exercising one’s preference.

The above is a passage from Fr. Smith's article, referenced by Chonak.

I've been saying that for a couple of years now: the Mass is not about personal preference. The mere fact that as a DM I had to choose the music at all implies that the music was not really serving the liturgy, but serving the "congregation" or "the people," or even catering to my preferences or the Pastor's. The existence of options is the problem, for as soon as you have an option, your preference for which option you choose, for whatever reason, becomes a factor.
  • I just typed up these to try to clarify Church teaching with the new choir I am working with. Please tell me if anything is terribly incorrect.
  • Reval
    "Spirit of the the Liturgy" (Ratzinger) - - worth at least a look. Lots of discussion on this forum about Benedict and his thoughts on the liturgy:

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/3873/liturgy-and-church-music-by-cardinal-ratzinger-now-pope-benedict/p1
  • Hilary,

Although you make mention of Tra le sollecitudini, you don't cite it -- unless I missed something. Maybe the way to do it is the way I was drawn into the liturgy more fully, even in the ordinary form: show that Sacrosanctum Concilium and Musica Sacra largely restate, and take their definitions from the older document.

Be at peace,

Chris
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • SalieriSalieri
    Settings of texts from the Divine Office can also be Sacred Music, as are music setting texts from the Eastern Divine Liturgies.

A setting of Phos hilaron (from the Greek 'Vespers') can be Sacred Music, as could O Magnum Mysterium (from Christmas Matins), Anima Christi, as well. The sole difference lies in that the first two are Liturgical texts, the last Devotional. As far as whether the Music is Sacred, that does not depend solely on the text: It depends also on the music itself, and if it conforms to the requirements of Sacred Music set forth in Tra le Sollecitudini.

O Magnum Mysterium (in Latin) set as a polka would not be Sacred Music, even though it sets a Liturgical text. Omnes de Saba veniet (Gradual of Epiphany) set as a Country and Western tune would not be Sacred Music either.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen melofluent
  • The most virulent criticisms of the article center around the pronoun “I”.
    560 x 290 - 44K
  • Epic, Aristotle, simply epic.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • dad29
    @Salieri: my comments were specific to the Mass; I recognize that Hours are also 'liturgy,' but they are not the concern for 95% of the commentary here.

And I didn't think that I would have to mention that the MUSIC has to be good stuff according to Pius X's definition in this forum.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    Susan Benofy wrote "Buried Treasure", a series of articles on the Church's 20th-century music documents, when she was research director for Adoremus; you can find them on the Adoremus web site.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    But 'O Magnum' sung during the Offertory (the proper has already been sung) at Midnight Mass is still Sacred Music, it doesn't simply become Religious Music (which would negate it's use during the liturgy). MESSIAH and ISRAEL IN EGYPT are Religious Music, but they are not Sacred Music (according to Catholic praxis), and not permissible during the Liturgy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    But 'O Magnum' sung during the Offertory (the proper has already been sung) at Midnight Mass is still Sacred Music

Like I said: the texts of the Mass constitute the necessary and sufficient basis for sacred music, whether motet or chant. Bruckner's Graduals are 'sacred music'--they use the text of the Mass.
  • chonakchonak
    In case it wasn't clear to anyone, "O magnum mysterium" is an Office antiphon, so a suitable setting is also sacred music.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "O magnum mysterium" is an Office antiphon, so a suitable setting is also sacred music.
    Indeed, it is the 4th Responsory for Matins of Christmas Day; however, many settings omit the "Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum" and repetition of the "Beata Virgo..." that is a part of the responsory in liturgical usage. Even with that omission, it still qualifies as sacred music.
  • If it is any help, I have found it helpful to introduce the idea of three divisions - sacred, religious and profane.( Profane obviously is all that good music about other things, like our traditional Irish ballads for example, not profane in the style of gangster rap.)
    Then I talk about 'music we would use at the prayer meeting, on processions, at home for evening prayer or prayer with children, etc... this is religious music.
    Sacred music is music which is part of the Sacred liturgy... texts given in the graduale, music from the graduale or simplified forms of it. When we can't sing our sacred music the alius cantus allows us to sing religious music (hymns) but the preference would be to be able to sing Sacred, not just religious music.
    I find that gets people thinking past the back and whiteness of 'you just don't like my sort of music' to different music for different things.
    Then I talk about how mostly the graduale is a meditation on scripture, and ask 'how would you feel if the reader got up to read and said that instead of the reading from the bible he was going to read a nice religious poem which he liked? Most people immediately see there would be a problem with that. Then I point out that that is essentially what we are doing in substituting hymns for propers. And that this is what taking the role of the music minister seriously means.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    Yes, but what do the Church Docs say are the categories and definitions?
  • In case it wasn't clear to anyone...
    Phew. For a moment there I thought we were all just supposed to make up our own definition.
  • ghmus7
    We should also note about that person who was trying to use sttl against chant, that sttl quotes SC directly about the primacy of gregorian chant.
  • francis
    Read the Papal Legislation on Sacred Music and you will get the entire picture before VII.