A Curious Juxtaposition
  • I have literally no problems with this at all.

In fact, it is a text that I have rather enjoyed having stuck in my head for a while. And that descant... (I'm also a sucker for those meaty dominant sevenths followed by breaths, and on that organ) ;-)

I am personally of the opinion that quite a bit more of this repertoire will survive than many suppose, and that this is not such a bad thing. I get the sense that I'm quite alone in both my opinion and my feeling, but I thought I'd put out some feelers.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This is a tough one. I was convinced that the Westminster version was by the American Mark Hayes, which now I acknowledge was not. (I don't know if Hayes took his chordal inspiration with the Major 7th bass descent.) But too be sure, this is an Eliza Doolittle situation: a commoner fancied up to satisfy and ameliorate any concerns as to propriety.
  • chonakchonak
    James Quinn SJ made another English version of the text, which appears in some hymnals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0k8SYaXFbI

There's also a SAB setting of that text published by Paraclete (alas, I don't find a recording of it on the net).
  • Did I, um, notice that one poor little Westminster Abbey chorister scratched his nose in embarrassment a couple of times?

Many thanks, canadash: that's what one might have expected at Westminster Abbey!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Now if you want a real brain-bender...listening to the Westminster version and then to Temple's 1967 recording... :-D
  • Why, oh why, did I click that 'play' button? (I made it 19 seconds...)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  •  
  • Peter Latona has written a setting of the text, "Peace Prayer of St. Francis," that will be sung at the canonization mass at the Shrine next month. It's available on the CD for sale here.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I blame Nihil.

If you want time-period context ...

Keep The Fire Burning: The Folk Mass Revolution
    by Ken Canedo
    http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Fire-Burning-Folk-Revolution/dp/1569290830

Of course, you must hear the sound samples ...
    http://www.kencanedo.com/Podcasts.html
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ken's an interesting fellow, not without intellectual gravitas and perspective. It seems he's drumming up revival sales of his first book to fund a sequel. Trouble is parody will inevitably trip up every true believer. As Chris Guest demonstrated with this:
    Oh a mighty winds a blowin’, it’s kickin’ up the sand,
    It’s blowin’ out a message to every woman, child and man
    Yes a mighty winds a blowin’, cross the land and cross the sea,
    It’s blowin’ peace and freedom, it’s blowin’ equality.
    Yes it’s blowin’ peace and freedom, it’s blowin’ you and me…
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • eft94530eft94530
    The back-story for the OP video
    is in the Podcast Chapter Nine "F".
    Worth a listen.
  • Melo, your quote goes to XI.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just like my Marshall stack of amps/speakers!
  • one problem is the attribution of the text to St Francis, it has no authenticity, but is first found on a prayercard with a picture of St Francis on it in early 20th century.

Why can't we sing some real Franciscan quotes, like:
    Such was the will of the Father that his Son, blessed and glorious, whom he gave to us, and who was born for us, should by his own blood, sacrifice, and oblation, offer himself on the altar of the cross, not for himself, by whom "all things were made," but for our sins, leaving us an example that we should follow his steps.

Letter to all the Faithful

All those men and women … who in their body serve the world through the desires of the flesh, the concerns of the world and the cares of this life: They are held captive by the devil, whose children they are, and whose works they do.

“Earlier Exhortation to the Brothers and Sisters of Penance,” Francis of Assisi: Early Documents, Volume 1, p. 43.

Trying to make it scan...

All of those m-e-en and women,
    who in their body s-e-erve the world
    Through the desires o-o-of the flesh
    The concerns-of-the-world and
    the c-ares of this life

They are held captive by the devil
    whose children they are,
    whose works they do
    Yes they are held captive by the devil
    whose children they are
    and whose works they do.

Such was the will-of-the-Father that his Son,
    His son, bless'd and glorious, whom he gave to us,
    who was born for us, should by his own blood,
    sacrifice, and oblation,
    offer up himself...

Offer on the altar of the cross,
    not for himself, by whom "all things were made,"
    but for our sins, leaving us an example
    that we should follow his steps.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • See, mis-attribution is as Christian as Pseudo-Dionysius.

Just because it's not Franciscan or a particularly "mean" text, doesn't make it unfit for church. And it's a very hard text, in its way.
  • You know, if it were sung like at the funeral of Diana, then I would not mind it at all! I would insist on it for at least one feast of St. Francis (Stigmata, feast, octave, etc.).

Also, the anniversary of her death was in the last few days, so say a prayer.