Rheinberger O salutaris (St. Gregory Hymnal)
  • I am seeking more information about the O salutaris by Rheinberger found in the St. Gregory Hymnal. I didn't find this piece listed in a catalog of Rheinberger's works. Does anyone have more information about it? I'm wondering if Montani adapted it from a work with another text. At any rate, I think it's a lovely piece and have successfully used it with my children's choir in the past.

PS - Another piece from the SGH that particularly interests me is "Cor Jesu" by Schultes. Does anybody have further information about this composer? I'm sure it's a bit Romantic to suit the tastes of some here, but I love the chromaticism!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is a contrafactum abridged and arranged by Montani from the Graduale of Rheinberger's Missa Op. 62, available at CPDL IMSLP. (fixed)
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    Intrigued by what kind of mass would have a movement titled Graduale I tried to find this on CPDL by looking up Rheinberger. A lot of the masses listed there don't specify the opus number at all. Maybe you can provide some more information about what this original mass is.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sorry, it's not on CPDL (my mistake), but it is Missa Puerorum, Op. 62 at IMSLP. And it has been transcribed into Finale by Martin Hoessl at his website (where I got it from in the first place). The original Graduale text is the hymn (1st stanza) "Verbum supernum prodiens" ... and "O salutaris hostia" is simply the last two verses of that same hymn.
  • Thanks so much! Surprisingly, I actually prefer Montani's arrangement to Rheinberger's original.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • madorganist, I've done a clean score of the Schultes--it was one of the first pieces my schola learned, as a lady of a certain age remembered it and recommended it (and knew my devotion to the Sacred Heart). It's one of our favorites. I added text for the basses and also used the chromaticism of the second phrase alto line in the first phrase. (The other two polyphonic pieces we learned at the first rehearsal were Byrd's Ave verum corpus and Victoria's Genitori, genitoque while learning the Tantum ergo chant to precede it. All are still favorites.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen