(post deleted)
  •  
  •  
  • Liam
    It may seem technical, but I would distinguish the family of Oriental Churches (Coptic, Maronite, Armenian, Antiochene, Chaldean, et cet.) from the family of Orthodox churches that are typically developed from the Greek tradition. Westerners tend to lump them all together, but the Oriental Churches arguably differ more from the Greek churches than mainline Protestants do from Catholics....
    Thanked by 1Mike Shawaluk
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    1. Catolica Romana (Genus), Ratzingerianis traditionalis (subgenus) : )
  • JahazaJahaza
    Generic Unitarian-Universalist -> 4 (Protestant Unitarian-Universalist) -> 1
  • SalieriSalieri
    1. (But my mother's side of the family are German Lutherans.)
  • Andrew_Malton
    Must be August, sezon ogórkowy.
  • 3 (Anglo-Papalist) --> 1
  • Jeffrey Quick
    4 --> x --> 1
  •  
  • Spriggo
    4 -> 1

• 3 -> 1
  • rollingrj
  • 4 ->1,
  • Liam
  • melofluentmelofluent
    1951-1970 unchurched.
    1970 to present: 1
  • G

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • nun_34nun_34
  • CharlesW
    double post. Forum gods are angry again.
  • 1→4a (Methodist) →4b (Pentecostal) →3a (Evangelical Low-Church) →3b (Anglo-Catholic High Church) →1.
  • CharlesW
    6- Orthodox in communion with Rome. Byzantine Catholic, sometimes called "Greek Catholic."

Enough with the surveys. You think we are doing Nielsen ratings or something? LOL.
  •  
  • CharlesW
    For one, I am surprised that that practically everyone here (except for you) has a path that ends with 1. But perhaps the others haven't posted yet, or choose not to.

Nah, I just work for the Latins. I am not one of them.
  • eft94530eft94530

Maybe the Surveys deserve their own Discussion Category?
  • 1 → flirted with 2 in college → 1

• I know several young men who have gone from 1 to 2 because they were very deeply disturbed by the laxity of catechetics and the deplorable liturgical praxis in the Church of their birth. Orthodoxy is not without its own deep flaws, all-too-human politics and cultivated contempt for Rome, but it is dead serious about liturgy and its Orthodox culture. One of these young men (he was required formally to renounce the Catholic Church) has even moved to Greece and may become a monk there.

It is the same set of problematics that keep many genuine and devout Anglo-Catholics away. (Of course, Anglo-Catholicism as a viable state for anyone with a serious Catholic mind is now-a-days non-existent. In fact, Anglo-Catholicism doesn't exist any more, for reason: a true Catholic could not conscientiously remain in communion with the varieties of heresy and non-Catholic praxis that now exists in the Anglican communion. There was a time when it made sense. There has been a strong very Catholic sub-current in the Anglican Church since it was yanked from communion with Rome those five hundred years ago. There was always hope that the church would return to its roots with Anglo-Catholics patiently leading the way by example. That such a thing is any longer even dreamable is pure fantasy. The Ordinariate is now the real Anglo-Catholicism, having found the home in which it belongs. And, we are even cautioned to eschew that term, 'Anglo-Catholic', because, to some (though not all), it has unpleasant connotations.)

I do know throughout my entire being that I am where I belong, and that we of the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter are uniquely blessed.
    Thanked by 1MichaelDickson
  • hilluminar
    I have gone from 1 (Roman Catholic) to 5 (Maronite Catholic). The Maronite prayers are awesomely beautiful and ancient; the Holy Mysteries (Mass) is chanted throughout every time (no low Mass ever); incenses is used at every Mass; only the priest or deacon ever gives out Holy Communion; only Communion on the tongue is allowed; Holy Communion is by intinction always. These are just a few of the many reasons why I prefer the Maronite rite over the Roman rite in both the EF and OF.
  • A beautiful witness, hilluminar -
    If the Ordinariate did not exist, I would be compelled to attend one of the oriental rites. Godspeed!
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Reval
    4 (Lutheran) → 1
  • canadashcanadash
  • rich_enough
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Born X/4, Baptised 1 at three years old and grew up among some of the most insidiously bland and anthropocentric liturgical [child] abuse and catechesis possible. Nothing outright heretical, or on the level of clown masses, but therein lied its insidiousness. There was merely nothing sacred or transcendent or beautiful or fruitful in the Faith as presented or in the Mass as performed [this isn't to denounce the validity of the Sacrament, merely the way it was treated]; it was treated as merely a humanistic event in which a human need was me or an itch for worship (of what might be debatable) was scratched. As pedestrian and grotesque in its vulgarization as casual sex.

Given this completely dissatisfying experience of the faith, as well as no philosophical formation, I fell into all kinds of heresy throughout the years. Even flirting with a kind of Solipsism, I'm sad to say. In spite of this, I somehow still followed the Faith as best I could, given what I had, and even loved it, especially as presented by Catholic radio, as something intelligent and clever, and grasped at glimpses of the Transcendentals present in the faith that were so in contrast to my experience of the Liturgy.

Thankfully, God had been working through an intercessor and kindred spirit, leading me from Catholic radio to C.S. Lewis in my adolescence, and to the intercessor himself, G.K. Chesterton, in Orthodoxy, shattering my self-dependent heresies. Along the way came exposure to a reverent, beautiful OF parish (which I recoiled from at first, given my misformed will, which was formed to think ugliness in the liturgy lovely). As my family moved more into that Parish, those strong German hymns were like milk that made me strong, presenting the Faith to me finally as something manly, demanding courage and strength and battle, rather than the sickening, stunting sentimentalized saccharine I had been raised on. And the Latin, intinction, incense, gold vestments, polyphony, chant, the Roman Canon, all pointed me ad orientem away from myself and mere human worship towards the transcendent Beauty, Goodness, and Truth of God.

In a particular way, Gregorian Chant has healed the will stunted by ugliness in the liturgy.

Nowadays, I'm studying Theology and Philosophy at Benedictine College, and trying to promulgate, realize, and educate on the Liturgy, especially as called for in Vatican II in whatever little way I can.

Wowza, that's long, but that's my rant. Guitars don't belong at Mass.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CCoozeCCooze
  • donr
  • ViolaViola
  • 1 --- > ~x/~1 --- > 1
  • GavinGavin
    1 → 3
  • TCJ
  • Gavin -

1 > 3 = Catholic > Anglican.
    Is this true?
    Is this correct?
    Have you 'crossed the Thames'?
  • GavinGavin
    As I've been open about, I ceased practicing Catholicism around the age of 18. I'm wholly uninterested on starting an useless apologetics war on the forum, but it suffices to say that, as I began my church music career, I was repelled by the ugly state of Roman worship, as well as coming to reject certain doctrines.

I have never joined the Episcopal Church (and am extremely averse to doing so, due to the idiocy that passes for its national leadership), but I am most at home theologically and liturgically at conservative Anglican churches. I currently work at a conservative and fairly Anglo-Catholic church, and couldn't be in a happier place.

As for participating on a Catholic forum, I was working in an excellent Catholic parish when this forum was put together. I have great enthusiasm for the authentic Roman liturgy and music. And my current musical praxis is heavily influenced by traditional Roman practice, so I have still found the forum of great value, even being outside of the Roman church.

• How interesting -
    I had not realised that you had been 'non-practicing'. Too, I had thought that you were rather conservative-orthodox in your faith. This is quite a surprise to me. All Anglicans are not like the idiocy in their leadership that you so colourfully and accurately describe. You, it seems, are blessed to be in one of the saner spots. One rarely meets, any more, a true Oxford Movement Anglo-Catholic manifestation. I suspect that your parish is of the sensible, seriously Christian variety. You will, perhaps, learn first-hand by your associations and friendships, how genuinely sad it is that the Anglican church is so rent assunder by forces that one could only describe by the word 'infernal'. It is a sad, sad story of certain elements' dogged determination to take over and subvert. The Anglican church really did not deserve what has happened to it. All Catholics should weep, and weep bitterly. There was so, so much promise that has been utterly dashed. And, these same elements are not without their brethren and sistern in the Catholic church - in high places and low.

Please do continue to bless us with your presence as a Forumite.

Godspeed!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    1>>wish you washy 1>>1
  • CharlesW
    I do state on some Sundays, that I am running away to join the Methodists. They are pleasant, nice, happy people who are less stressful to be around than Catholics. LOL.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • '...happy... less stressful...'

Some of our Ordinariate folk were at a Catholic gathering in the east some months ago and reported that they made quite a unique impression, one priest going so far as to say excitedly, 'you all are so happy! Are you really Catholic'.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • Scott_WScott_W
    1. Catholic. "Taliban" according to John Allen. :)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW, Methodists are capable of being very chill - as were the ones I grew up with - but when I went to a Methodist college, I discovered at the university chapel that 'though this be Methodism, there is yet a madness to it'.
  • CharlesW
    I discovered at the university chapel that 'though this be Methodism, there is yet a madness to it'.

There is madness in every church, or so I have found. I have stated before that I had a much higher opinion of the Church before I worked for it. There is a side to it you don't really see when you only sit in the pew.