Silent auction idea
  • Kathy
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "Following the great success of our silent auction, St. Matthew's parish has begun a year of penance as Earl Smith has banned the Gloria from all of our Masses for the next year. We will take this time, intended by Mr. Smith to make Mass 2-3 minutes shorter, to think about our sinfulness in more detail."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    > "Please write which hymn it is..."
    > No place on form to write hymn name.

What is it with church people and basic design skills?
  • Liam
    For a moment, I thought there was a reference to a year of *pestilence*...the eyes being fried at the end of the day. On the other hand, it might be a useful idea.
  • These hymns don't need names, Adam. They're so distinct they can be distinguished by numbers.

Give it enough time, and all hymns will be known by a simple binary code. Just imagine the hymn-board of the future:

PRO: 001
    OFF: 010
    COMM: 11010
    REC: 000110
    MASS: VIII
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    or...

Ent: GUI
    Off: BNA
    Com: IATBOL
    Rec: OEW

or the title of the entire Mass is pronounced: Gooey Bananas In The Bowl. YEOW!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Jani eft94530
  •  
    Thanked by 1francis
  • > "Please write which hymn it is..."
    > No place on form to write hymn name.

What is it with church people and basic design skills?

Adam,

If you knew even the smallest bit about modern politics or professional sports you'd know that the person doesn't decide until he has won.

"We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it".
    "....and a player to be named later"

The point is to win the contest. After you've won, you can ban whatever you like -- because, being so generous, your taste must be beyond question.
  • Reval
    I suppose this would be too controversial to actually suggest at our gala...
    Interesting to see what the PIPs would want to ban, though!
  • francis
    Better yet, rather than banning what is suggested, I would have a singalong including all the suggestions of what people would like to sing. But then... here's the kicker.

I would do this in the church hall or basement, serve wine and beer and turn them into drinking songs by completely changing the lyrics. I would have two large screens with projected bouncing ball lyrics and a live rock band playing through the list. Kind of the opposite of how some of our hymns were once drinking songs and got turned into hymns.

On (Budweisers) Eagles Wings (must see label attached)
    I Am the Bud of Life
    Be Not Afraid (of Budweiser)
    Gather Us In(to the Hall)
    Gift of Finest Hops
    Sing a New Beer Into Being
    We Remember (that flavor)
    All Are Welcome in THIS Space
    Beer is Flowing Like a River

This would show the true color of the music and it would finally find a fitting home. Gather Us In - the lyrics probably wouldn't have to change much, because it seems fitting for a bar.

"Gather us in the rich and the haughty
    Gather us in the lost and forsaken
    Gather us in the proud and the strong"

(should get Gordon Lightfoot to lead this one)

Sounds like a perfect toast to me!

PROST!
    430 x 423 - 405K
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The point is to win the contest. After you've won, you can ban whatever you like -- because, being so generous, your taste must be beyond question.
    Chris, this does not accord with the description in the photo, which clearly states, "Please write which hymn it is, so if someone loves that hymn they may outbid you and retire their least favorite hymn instead!" You're admonition to Adam is completely off point.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Charles,

I stand corrected. Excuse me.

Adam,

Please accept my apologies. I misread the picture.

God bless,

Chris
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    Am I the only one who plays Hymn Board Bingo ?

Blackout
    (i.e., use each of the ten digits at least once)?

Horizontal or Diagonal or Vertical
    (e.g., three consecutive numbers, or some other pattern)?
  • eft9530, I'm still holding out for the day there's a hymnal large enough to have at least 1,337 entries. That would make liturgical life gr&.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Silent auctions are not frequent enough for fund-raising.
    A better, every Mass, every weekend, income stream ...

During the Prelude the choir,
    waiting patiently at the main entrance for the procession to begin,
    could sell Scratchers.
    The Hymn-board is updated immediately before the "please join" announcement.