Motets for an ordination
  • ViolaViola
    Suggestions would be welcome for choral pieces to be sung at an ordination in late October, Probably something at Communion and maybe also during the Offertory. We will be singing Introit and Communion antiphons. Ordinary will probably be Missa de Angelis. The choir is mixed; some experienced singers who can read, others complete beginners, but keen and prepared to work hard.
    So far S S Wesley's 'Lead me, Lord' springs to mind.
    Thanks!
  • As an offertory anthem for ordination, Byrd's Sacerdotes Domini would be hard to better. If you have Oxford's Sixteenth Century Anthem Book, it's in there. Too, it is readily had in octavo from several publishers. It might even be in Noel's new book, The Catholic Choirbook Anthology.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Byrd Sacerdotes Domini ... at CPDL for free.
    The edition by David Fraser is authoritative. The James Gibb edition is transposed up a whole tone but has a keyboard reduction of the choral score.
  • Tu Es Sacerdos by Nicolo Montani (from the St. Gregory Hymnal) is 1 part, but with a nice organ accompaniment. Fairly simple, but I think it sounds good. PM me if you want a copy.

• Praglia's Tu Es Sacerdos is very manageable.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The SATB Cantate Domino attributed to Hassler would be nice for the end of Communion and any of the choir members coming from other (proficient) choirs will likely know it.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Sicut Cervus - Palestrina
    Haec Dies - Byrd
    Jubilate Deo - Hassler
    Cantate Domino - Pitoni
    Laudate Dominum - Mozart
    Animae Christe
    O Bone Jesu - Palestrina
    O Sacrum Convivium

I Sat Down Under His Shadow - Bairstow
    Alleluia - Randall Thompson
    O Sacred Feast - Willan
    And He Shall Purify - (MESSIAH) - Handel
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • hartleymartin
    Here's another vote for "Sacerdotes Domini" by Byrd for an ordination Mass.

I also recall a rather nice "Tu es Sacerdos" but for the life of me I cannot think of the composer.
  • This is taken at a rather quick pace. Many do it more introspectively, However it's done it is the work of an inspired master. One often hears the alleluyas done with the five syllables which we discussed in another forum conversation. Try it sometime - it very may well have been done that way by Byrd: al-le-lu-ee.ee-ya.
  • Jackson,

I've heard the 5-syllable Alleluia, but much slower? Really?

Live and learn, I guess.

Cheers,

Chris
  • Chris -
    As you are well aware, it all depends on the room, the weather, the spirit of the moment, the spot in the liturgy, etc., not to mention your voices. I did think the above recording (which seems to be at Washington's Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul) was rather quick, even hurried - and it showed in their diction and the sloppiness of series of quavers - even moreso at the two semiquaver ornaments and the places where the polyphonic texture is most complex. On the other hand, it did have a 'jolly good' spirit about it!

In a live room I might prefer a tempo of approx give or take 80 - even less in dream acoustics.
    In a less desirable acoustic I might go up to 100 or more.
    It really does all depend on acoustics and the spirit of the moment.
    My feeling about this motet is that is 'joyfully introspective'.
    Others have different, and equally valid, approaches.
    What's yours?
    Or anyone else's on our forum?

I once took a choir on an outing to the two Spanish missions at Goliad (Texas). The larger one is a state park, and the smaller is still used by the Church (the wall painting behind the altar features Gabriel with six toes on one foot). We sang in the larger one and started out with Viadana's Exultate iusti. We began with our usual almost brisk tempo, and before we finished so much as the second measure we were so far ahead of the room that we had immediately to reduce our tempo to the snail's pace in order for the music to be intelligeable.
  • Jackson,

Point taken.

I'm glad you had the chance to sing in the Missions. The choir of which I am a member has sung Mass at several of the California Missions. I'm usually the one reminding others that the room does change how we can sing, effectively.

I've never had the joy of directing the piece, but I have sung it.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a somewhat more relaxed reading of the Byrd "Sacerdotes Domini" by the Guildford Cathedral Choir under Andrew Millington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvnu9KwotCA
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Not sure what your choral resources are.

Robert Kreutz actually has a nice setting of Tu Es Sacerdos. Not difficult for the choir with a French inspired organ accompaniment.

Leo Nestor Strengthen For Service
    Robert Parker Behold, My Servant
    Philip Stopford O Thou Who Camest from Above (very easy for choir and organ and suitable for ordinations and pentecost)
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ViolaViola
    Choral resources are limited. There are time constraints also as the ordination will be on October 26th. I take over on Sept 20th, so not actually in post yet. Choir of approx 15, at present no basses, but my husband, who is one and ex KC Cambridge, will be coming along with me. Not all the choir members read music. I fear the Byrd is a bridge too far at the moment. The Kreutz seems a good choice. I'll look at some of the others also; thanks for all the suggestions. Something simple but well done is the aim.
  • Posting for future scrutiny:

From the collection Canticum Novum of Carlo Rossini [PDF]:

Jurávit Dóminus–Tu es sacérdos
    pp. 142–143
    J. Deschermeier, arr. Carlo Rossini
    2vv + organ; F major; 27 measures

Quid retríbuam Dómino
    pp. 145–147
    P. Piel, arr. Carlo Rossini
    2vv + organ; E-flat major; 57 measures
    Thanked by 1Viola