"More Christ, Less 'Worldly Entertainment' At Mass" -Cardinal Sarah
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/more-christ-less-worldly-entertainment-at-mass-says-vaticans-head-of-worshi

He makes some great statements in the discussion.

True active participation, Cdl. Sarah reminds us, means becoming the graceful instrument of Christ. And thus "language about the 'celebrating community' can carry a degree of ambiguity requiring true caution (cf. the Instruction Redemptoris sacramentum, §42). Participatio actuosa must not be understood, therefore, as the need to do something."

This of course brings to mind many attempts in modern Catholic parishes to engage the laity in all sorts of superficially active exterior movements out of the desire to include them in the Mass. Cardinal Sarah, however, says, "On this point the teaching of the Council has often been distorted."

He explains that active participation is more about "allowing Christ to take hold of us and to associate us with his sacrifice."

"[T]he celebrant is not the host of a show," notes Cdl. Sarah, citing recent words from Pope Francis. "[H]e must not seek the affirmation of the assembly, standing before them as if they were called to enter into dialogue primarily with him. To enter into the spirit of the Council means — on the contrary — to efface oneself, to renounce the spotlight."

The Vatican's head of worship then proceeds to call for a return to the more traditional style of liturgy, in which the priest, instead of facing toward the people most of the Mass (versus populum), is directed toward the east (ad orientem), from which direction Christ will return at His Second Coming.

"True participation means the renewal in us of that 'amazement' that St. John Paul II held in such high regard (cf. Ecclesia de Eucharistia, §6)," he states. "This sacred amazement, this joyous reverence, requires our silence before the divine majesty. We often forget that sacred silence is one of the means indicated by the Council to foster participation."

I think there are some strategic points during the Mass into which sacred silence can be inserted quite effectively. One of them is after the chanting of the Offertory Proper.

He then turns to the irreverent practice of letting nearly anyone enter into the sanctuary to participate in artificial ways, especially when the person isn't properly suited for the task.

"It is deplorable that the sanctuary in our churches is not strictly reserved for divine worship, that people enter it in worldly garb, that the sacred space is not clearly delineated by the architecture. And since, as the Council teaches, Christ is present in his word when it is proclaimed, it is equally harmful when readers are not dressed in a way that shows they are pronouncing not human words, but the Word of God."

Although I am a lector at my home parish, I would not be opposed to wearing a cassock and surplice to proclaim (or better yet, sing) the word. This would become an issue for female lectors (what would they wear?).

Have any of you read the article? What are your thoughts?
  • The more I hear from Cardinal Sarah, the more I am reassured that God is still in charge.

Women shouldn't (not can't or mayn't) serve as lectors or cantors. As to whether lectors and cantors should be vested in cassock or alb, that's a different question.
  • johnmann
    "Although I am a lector at my home parish, I would not be opposed to wearing a cassock and surplice to proclaim (or better yet, sing) the word. This would become an issue for female lectors (what would they wear?)."

Albs or "ordinary attire" like the male lectors are supposed to . GIRM 339. GIL 54.
  • MatthewRoth
    A cassock and surplice would not be inappropriate if only singing the first reading. If singing the Epistle or only lesson of the day and also serving as acolyte, wearing the amice, alb, and cincture is appropriate. I have no problem with doubling up roles, and using vestments as a way to reintroduce a more traditional view of the lessons as proclamations of salvation history and a prayerful reminder to God of his merciful promises. That is the only way to have a proper Solemn High Mass in the new form, even if there are no tunicles and maniples.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The more I hear from Cardinal Sarah, the more I am reassured that God is still in charge. Women shouldn't (not can't or mayn't) serve as lectors or cantors. As to whether lectors and cantors should be vested in cassock or alb, that's a different question.

It is becoming more and more difficult to discern the lucidity of utterances here. If HG Wells' imaginings were reality, then some of the prescriptions offered here would make sense. I'm about ready, as Peter was wont, to ask "Mahrt, to whom shall we go?"
    This is not about freaking "dress up," this is about redemption and salvation. I'm not for or against, do what can be done. But work to save souls with whatever you have at hand. Honestly?
  • "War? You want me to go to war? I just joined up to wear the uniform!"
  • Charles,

I think you missed the point of my comments. The public worship by the Church is essential to the goal of saving souls because its essential to spreading the Gospel. Bad, man-centered worship doesn't draw souls to God.

God calls us to combat. What happens if we show up in the uniform, ready to betray God?

God bless,

Chris
  • "War? You want me to go to war? I just joined up to wear the uniform!"

"Gentlemen, you can't fight chant in here, this is a war room church service!"
    -- President Cardinal Merkin Muffley
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    "You can't let him people in here, he'll they see won't understand the big board Latin!"
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab