19th-Century Chant Recordings
  • We've all listened to the smears of Solesmes partisans for a century or more, but has any one of us actually heard the "decrepit," "degenerate," "corrupt" chants of the 19th Century realized musically?

Members of the Latin Mass Schola of Cincinnati and some friends are in the process of recording a reconstructed 1898 High Mass for the Sunday within Ascension, as part of a wider project to produce such recordings showcasing local Catholic composers' music within liturgical context from a variety of years.

This recording showcases the work of Fr. Ignatius Wilkens, OFM, a Cincinnati-born friar-composer who flourished in the late 19th and early 20th Century. Adding to its authenticity will be accompanied dialogues, Preface, and Paternoster, and of course chant sung from the 1896 Frederick Pustet edition of the Graduale Romanum, and accompanied from period books.

We are recording on-location at St. John the Baptist Church in Dover, Indiana; the instrument is an 1894 Henry Pilcher's Sons organ, built in Louisville, KY.

We hooked up our microphones for the first time last night, and while the result is not yet polished, I hope it piques your interest in the project. Here is the offertory chant, sung out of books reprobated for 107 years:

Ascendit Deus in Iubilatione
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm into it.
    Thanked by 2NihilNominis Salieri
  • Sounds good.....love the "Latin Mass Schola of Cincinnati"!!!!

Looking forward to the full recording.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • I fall under the "some friends" portion of this recording. :D
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's actually very, very pretty. It's just that there is nothing "Gregorian" about it in the slightest, which I guess is what people mean when they say that style was decrepit.

They were posted somewhere a couple of years back, but for those who are interested and have not heard then, there do exist recordings of Gregorian chant made by Mocquereau Pothier (respectively) in 1904:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthAs7-OC7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQGuasAx0I
  • Well, it's been an interesting experience to sing it with a choir--I puzzled with interpreting it on my own before rehearsal, to a large extent gave up, set it before my choir, and found that it really interprets itself.

The first thing you notice is that, to a much greater extent than is possible with the restored repertoire, given the often very deliberate mis-accentuations on the part of early mediaeval Frankish monks, the text accent drives the music forward. For better or worse the melodies have had their "barbarisms" lovingly removed to render this possible for "average" choirs.

The mensuralism by 1896 (and I'm certainly not blind to the influence of Solesmes on this) had been restricted to elongating text accents, and the nota semibrevis, the really short one, was used only on descending passages.

The second thing you notice is that the accompaniments do a lot to make these seem much more like mini-motets than just "the chants," and I think we can underestimate the importance of this for the pew-dweller. These are so characteristic that, when I showed this recording to quite a learned and renowned choral conductor, his first question was, "who is the composer?" (he was surprised by the answer!), which is nothing you would ever ask about a piece of post-Solesmes chant.

I think a block of melismatic Latin monody sung at a consistent dynamic to the accompaniment of a flute and string 8' sounds much like any other piece of Latin monody sung in the same way to the unmusical. It's beautiful, but a stylistic beauty, rather than textual, and very little that is readily accessible to the people in the pews colours the Easter propers differently than the chants for Passion Sunday.

Bear in mind that this music would have been heard in a parish setting before the common (or permissible!) use of hand missals, so the primary way in which the character of the feast would be communicated to the faithful would have been through a musical interpretation appropriate to the text.

These chants are open to making use, as here, of the full capabilities of both choir and organ, and in the finished recording, you will experience three sung propers and a Credo, each of which has a strikingly different colour and tone.

I am not sure what you mean by saying that there is nothing Gregorian about these chants, though! I'd be more inclined to think of them as related to the mediaeval chant tradition in the same way that simplified Chinese is related to traditional. They certainly are composed in the Gregorian modes, and are, in fact, simpler versions of the "authentic" melodies, and follow the same curves, their rhythm is the descendant of what, even if it wasn't the pristine ideal, was certainly the commonest way to interpret plainsong for hundreds of years.

But, I think, most importantly, this music *is* what Gregorian Chant meant for centuries. Primers for it trace its ancestry through neumes, through the Guidonian hand, and down to their own day; they simply view the post-Tridentine reforms as a part of the process of musical development for this style.

Thanks much for the early recordings by the Doms. I had heard them before, but they provide a very interesting contrast. That was really the trade-off, in most places where chant was done. And I can't really think that I would have been happy with the trade on more than an academic level.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Is it bad of me to say "I like it!"?

My choir has sung mensural chant before: Offert. Laudate Domn. on Lent IV - with a short praeludium - from a book on CCW - though slightly slower than this (I call is Mastodon-chant), and Salve regina (tonus simplex)

And as to the non-Gregorian-ness of this style of chant, there are, in fact, those who would argue that chant according to the so-called "Solesmes" method isn't Gregorian chant either, since it also inflicts a mensuralism, albeit a "hidden" one, onto the chant viz. it's continuous counting of one-two and one-two-three. I think it is historically important to note that Mocquereau developed this method to allow parish musicians who needed to count the ability to count and still retain a façade of "free rhythm".
  • Jeffrey Quick
    YES!! This is a project I've dreamed of doing for several years now. Do you have a complete repertoire list? Do you have any publishing/distribution lined up?

Wilkens was really one of the "good guys". Are you considering recordings of "Black List" music as well?

Is there anything I can do to help? (I'm in NE Ohio.)
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Quite interesting. Here's another recording of the same chant, if I'm not mistaken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYIEuGWIII

Compare also the 1896 Graduale by Pustet (p. 180):

• SalieriSalieri
    I don't know if this book here would be useful, but this is what I used when my choir sang 'Laudate'
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    NihilNominis: the "decrepit," "degenerate," "corrupt" chants of the 19th Century realized musically?

I think these words are used to describe the chant situation in the early 1800s.

Please see Forum Discussion
    Chant-accompaniment Best Practices

in which I posted several times ...
    1860 item by Jacques Louis Battmann (1818-1886)
    1854 item by Louis Niedermeyer (1802-1861)
    1840 item by Francois-Joseph Fetis (1784-1871)

The last has both score (Missa I) and YouTube implementation (Missa VIII).
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • SalieriSalieri
    Performed an experiment of sorts tonight:

We always sing the season Marian antiphon after the evening Mass, normally I play straight from the pages of Adoremus Hymnal (tonight, Salve Regina, the accompaniment is by Ted Marier) exactly as written, taking liberties of course for my own peculiarities (i.e. repurcussion of strophae, etc.), oblivious to what the people are doing, trying to force them to sing in "free rhythm". Tonight I decided to listen to them more and follow their lead. What I discovered is that there are certain mensuralist tendencies within my congregation. I find this fascinating since we are a mixed bag of people of Polish, French, German, and Irish descent, and several people straight from French-Canada. Granted, many of these people are not versed in chant, and yet the ordinary movements that we do are done in a very good "Solesmes" style, with my semiological oddities, without a trace of mensuralism.

It leads me to think that many of these people learned this chant (Salve Regina) as children from people who learned it as children, etc. who have never really shaken off certain tendencies. I notices this especially at certain cadential points with the formula La-Sol-Sol or Re-Do-Do, where the penultimate note was cut short: A good example is right at the beginning: misericordiae, where the accented syllable 'cor' is slightly lengthened, and the syllable 'di' shortened, given a rhythm of dotted-crotchet, quaver, minim. This recurred again at 'O pia'.

I am curious if anyone else has encountered this phenomenon in their congregations?
  • Salieri,

I don't think that's bad at all! The spontaneous reaction of the choir upon singing it was, generally, "We love this." From a vocalist's perspective, I find it peculiarly satisfying to be able to throw my whole voice behind a chant like this, rather than singing in the muted way chants can too often be sung. And as an organist, my experience has been much the same.

As to the book, my one anachronism has been to use those accompaniments; I cannot find any accompaniments to the notes of the 1896 Graduale prior to those, and I figure it is better to use something written by an active musician of the period, than to attempt to create something out of whole cloth in the 21st Century in an effort to avoid anachronism.

Jeffrey,

Wilkens was, in my opinion, one of the Best Guys. I think his is perhaps the most dignified, expressive, devotional, and satisfying of the "accessible" music of the period. His voice leading and organ writing are wonderful, and his organ parts are exceptionally flexible, doubtless to accommodate the wide variety of instruments and dispositions in the area at the time. He clearly intended his music to be sung as widely as possible.

We are colouring it in a very period way with the use of a vocal quartette in alternation with the full choir...and the effect is splendid.

We don't have anything lined up on the publishing/distribution side. If you could help on that end, I think that would be wonderful.

smvanroode,

That is the same chant! How different. We are in fact singing from the 1896 Pustet Graduale in our recording.

eft94530,

You're probably right about that being the proper target of those invectives, although I do think that the assertion that these chants are "not Gregorian at all," (pace, Mr. Thompson!) does suggest that the attitude towards these chants as corrupt does exist.

Thanks for the links; I did try my due diligence to find other recordings and discussion of the period stuff, but I had not run across those.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Have you looked at this, from U. of Dayton?
    "Theory and praxis of melodeon-playing : containing over 300 preludes, etc. in all keys, and the accompaniment to the responses of Mass and Vespers, Preface, Pater Noster, the Psalmodes, Adsperges, Vidi aquam, O salutaris, Tantum ergo, Veni creator / by
    Singenberger, J. (John), 1848-1924
    New York : F. Pustet, 1896
    224 p. : music ; 30 cm"
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Very handy! We found an accompaniment book for the responses at High Mass published by Fischer, in the choir loft at St. Philomena in Oak Forest, IN, along with 100 "Short and Pleasing Voluntaries," which we are using for organ music and accompaniment in the recording.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    Salieri: certain cadential points with the formula La-Sol-Sol or Re-Do-Do, where the penultimate note was cut short

Yes.

gg aa bb gggg | aa bb aa gg eeee dddd | gg aa bb aaa g gggg

Heard during a weekday Mass
    despite use at all three weekend Masses from Easter Vigil thru Corpus Christi.

Sometimes we have zero idea what is happening when we are not on the bench.
  • Godspeed with your research and your project. This is fascinating. As an ardent proponent of historically informed 'period performances' (insofar as such are feasable and possible) I shouldn't think that we would want to overlook the XIXth century (both early and late) or the early XXth century in our repertory of chant performance practices. If I were accompanying, say, some Tournemire with the chant on which it was based, I should want, as far as possible, for the chant to sound like that which he heard. Ditto Messiaen or Langlais, et al. Period 'authenticity' applies to the gamut of historical eras. Meanwhile, let us not neglect our research into chant's nascent times, by which we might (might) forge a chant praxis that is timeless because of its nearness to its roots - probably we shant succeed at that, but it's a nice thought, and it would put late mediaeval, renaissance, baroque plein-chant musicale and serpentine chant, and the pits of the XIXth century, as well as the dead-end forays of the XXth, all in perspective.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • incantuincantu
    I used a 19th century rhythmic reading of chant (also culled from accompaniment volumes) for a concert performance of the Obrecht Salve Regina with Euouae. I found the contemporary chant practice of Obrecht just plain ugly, the Solesmes reading anachronistic, and the medieval practice... well, it just didn't fit. This solution seemed to work better for my taste, even though it was mixing practices from two different time periods.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • '...just plain ugly...'

It's not beyond belief that many would find chant from almost any past period ugly because it simply would not represent whatever it is they think of when they think 'chant'. This, of course, is part of the wide appeal of the not-Solesmes method: it's what most people have heard most of their lives and is, therefore, the only real 'chant'. We wouldn't want to shock people with Marcel Perez's notions of early chant, would we? Nor would we want to startle people with serpentine chant or anything that they wouldn't think of as 'chant' (or would we?).

Then on the other hand, Obrecht might be taken aback if you told him his chant was ugly. You might have hurt his feelings. It was, after all, just 'chant' to him.
  • Where can I read about the chant practice of Obrechts time and the medieval practice? Is the medieval chant practice similar to the practice of the Dominican order?
  • Now up at IMSLP:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Concentus_Sacri_(Rosewig,_Albert_Henry)#IMSLP394350

Includes accompanied responses and many violations of TLS.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189