Latin congregational entrance hymns.
  • Ted
    I have been working at another parish this summer, and we have been using Office hymns for the entrance procession. Those are very difficult for the congregation to sing. But I have had problems finding metrical Latin Hymns for Sundays throughout the year that the congregation could easily sing. Would anyone be familiar of a source of congregational Latin hymns for the entrance procession?

Please note that these would be for EF Masses. Once the procession finishes at the sanctuary, the Asperges me begins, and then the Introit, etc.
  • Kathy
    Die parente temporum is an obvious choice. It's not that ancient though.
  • Why not just have the congregation sing the preceding hour of the office (e.g., Terce)? Then you can go straight into the Holy Mass without any novusy "gathering songs."
  • Mark Thompson, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
  • Heh, heh..."novusy".
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Splendid idea, Ted, but I think you're right that these are not the easiest things for non-musicians to pick up, although I understand your desire to teach beautiful Latin hymns to your congregation.

I'm also partial to the practice of processional and recessional congregational hymns at the EF, and this has been our practice for several years, and I know of other EF congregations that do the same with great success using classic vernacular hymns from sources like the Anglican Hymnal, etc.

I do love grand organ processionals, but encouraging the community aspect of the EF congregation with vernacular entrance and closing hymns is, in my opinion, the greater good.

Just an example: We had the good fortune to attend the Sunday Missa Cantata at the inspiring and wonderful St. Joseph's Church in Richmond, VA, (an FSSP parish) a few weeks ago, and we felt immediately at home with the English hymns before and after Mass, and I don't think I'm mistaken in believing that singing beautiful Anglican congregational hymns goes a long way towards establishing a feeling of "normalcy", and creating a sense of cordiality, friendliness and amity. Being from Amityville, I can't resist sticking that word in. : )

No less an authority than Cardinal Pell confirms my own feeling that some styles of celebrating the old rite lack a community dimension. What he said impels me more than ever to do what I can from a musical point of view to foster goodwill, "togetherness" and unanimity in my EF congregation; I know that saying such things probably creates a good deal of cognitive dissonance with most EF musicians, but I'm convinced that using vernacular congregational hymns at the EF is a fairly easy and relatively painless way to bring the two forms of the Roman rite more in sync with each other and might actually help change the mind of someone like Cardinal Pell about the possibility of the Vetus Ordo being the key to the future.

From a recent Gloria TV interview with Cardinal Pell:

I do celebrate Mass sometimes in the extraordinary form. One reason for that was because I was brought up in that tradition. The changes only came in just about the time I was ordained. I think they are an essential and beautiful part of our tradition. I think they have considerable strength, some weaknesses. I think the community dimension is lacking. But I think the old rite brings across the importance of transcendence: that we are really participating in an act of worship.

So I have an enormous respect for the old Mass, for the people who worship in that rite. I don't think it is the key to the future. But it is a beautiful and essential part of our patrimony. And if people want this form of worship I think it's entirely appropriate within our tradition to offer it for them.
  • Ted
    Thanks for your comments thus far. It has been frustrating to find such hymns, considering that with all these big Catholic hymnal publishers around not one of them follows what the Council asked for: that Latin be retained in the liturgy. The Council felt more participation was needed, especially now that the general population is better educated than ever before. One would in fact think that Latin hymns would be a no brainer for those who could at least read and write now, but it seems to be the contrary.

But frustration and polemics aside, my situation is perhaps more unique. The pastor studied with the FSSP, but he is also Slovak, so he was recently assigned to a Slovak Parish in Montreal by the Bishop. He is now giving the parish an additional second vocation, the daily EF Mass. The two vocations work very well together. So the folks attending the weekly Sunday Sung Latin High Mass are folks whose mother tongues are French, English, Slovak, and even others. He does not want anyone excluded for the people's singing part in the Mass, so Latin fills that need for the hymns. The closing hymn is normally Marian, so that has not been too big a problem.

Office hymns are very good in the sense that they fit very well with the festival of the day. But I know that even the repertoire of vernacular hymns falls short of that, so general "seasonal" hymns are used in most parishes. A variety of seasonal Latin hymns that are easily sung would be a start.

• Ted,

Take a look at Cantus Selecti if you haven't already. It's listed under Latin Settings in the Music PDF section of the CMAA website.

Julie,

I think your new nickname shall be the Amityville Horror.

Just kidding.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Stimson, my friend, since you're already in rehab, I'll refrain from getting back at you for that. I never hit a man when he's down.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The thought occurred that there are many Office hymns in The New English Hymnal. Of course, they have English verses, but if I'm not mistaken, it seems simple enough to replace those verses with the Latin.

For instance, I'm looking at the Office hymn for Michaelmas on Sept. 29: Christe, sanctorum decus angelorum, which is set to the tune ISTE CONFESSOR in The New English Hymnal. Substituting the Latin verses for the English works like a charm, and you have the chant notation, and accompaniment in modern notation all on the same page.

It seems simple enough to have the Latin verses printed for the people's use in a handout while the organist and choir uses the music and accompaniment in The New English Hymnal.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Amen, and amen to Cardinal Pell's quote above.
    It is refreshingly balanced, sober, and wise, qualities too often absent in the hyperbolic expressions of partisans of both the novus and antiquor versions of the Roman rite. We are (everyone!) meant to have, know, and treasure both.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Ted
    Julie:
    In fact I had already been thinking in that direction recalling that even the older English Hymnal (Vaughn Williams as one of the editors) often has two versions of an office hymn, one with the traditional Sarum plainsong melody, and the the other with a more modern tune. In some cases, though, the modern tunes may not be so simple. And there are not enough of them.

I was also thinking of another direction. The Latin metre of Office hymns can generally be matched with some familiar or "catchy" more modern metrical hymn tune. I have located some old books that have many Latin hymns with their metre already analysed and tagged. It seems this may become an interesting although time consuming project.

It is not that a Gregorian melody for the hymns is impossibly difficult for a congregation. Some are not difficult, and they can continue to be used. Perhaps it is only a matter of finding more modern tunes for the very difficult ones. It seems that such metrical hymn melodies are generally easier to sing without prior familiarity. As I have found out, there were quite a few interesting and lovely tunes composed during the 17th and 18th Century Catholic countries for Marian hymns, and are very easy and a joy to sing at the end of Mass, so I was thinking of the same for the entrance procession.
  • BenBen
    Honestly, I've never had any problem with simply doing an organ processional. A hymn certainly wouldn't be required at the beginning of Mass, and if it's such a burden, why do it?

Especially in your multi-lingual situations, maybe hymns aren't a good fit. There's no need to force it. If they don't work, just don't do them.
  • dad29
    Ben's right. In the years prior to The Revolution of '65--at least in the VERY proper Milwaukee Archdiocese--the procession was accompanied by organ music. (That's IF there was a "procession"; most often the priest and servers walked about 10 feet from the sacristy to the altar.)

More recently I was persuaded to use an English recessional hymn following the seasonal Marian antiphon in Latin, sung by all, as the priest 'held' the congregation by remaining at the altar.

That worked reasonably well.

There may have been different traditions in different countries or Dioceses. So what? What makes those "better" or "worse"?
  • Ted
    Ben and dad29:
    Ah yes, but that is the easy way out. I do not think it is the right way to go. Vatican II reminded us that people's internal and external participation in the liturgy was at a low. I do not think that a revolutionary new Mass was needed, as the traditional Mass could have received a few "tweaks" here and there to encourage quality participation. It also reminded us that some important things were forgotten through the centuries. One of these is processions in secular churches. During the late middle ages there were processions galore, and we have chants books for this, the Processionales which I am also investigating. Regular processions eventually fell into disuse in secular churches although they continued in monastic churches. Originally, the Introit too was a processional in the large Basilicas.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    "Yet active participation does not preclude the active passivity of silence, stillness and listening: indeed, it demands it. Worshippers are not passive, for instance, when listening to the readings or the homily, or following the prayers of the celebrant, and the chants and music of the liturgy. These are experiences of silence and stillness, but they are in their own way profoundly active."
    -St. John Paul II
  • BenBen
    Why don't you just have them learn the ordinary if it is insisted that they sing (which is certainly not a requirement)? Vatican II said we need more "actual" participation (a better translation). As JPII said above, participation demands silence at times, in particular, when listening to the liturgical music.
  • BenBen
    It also said that the people should learn the parts of the Mass proper to them, ie, the ordinary, and the dialogues . Vatican II did not say we need everyone to sing hymns.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Ted
    Ben:
    Except for the Propers, all the Ordinary is sung antiphonally with the people. And here I have to say there is more participation in song by the people than the vast majority of Novus Ordo Masses I have ever attended. Everyone sings the closing Marian hymn during the "recessional", and it is awesome especially when sung to a more modern tune, eg. Salve Regina Coelitum. Something like this would be very welcome for the entrance processions. If interested, www.latine.ca has the congregational booklets for every sung Mass, although some are not complete precisely because of the entrance chants.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you contact St. Joseph parish in Detroit, they have a hymnal they put together that has many Latin texts to familiar tunes that I've not seen elsewhere. I remember a hymn to DIADEMATA that I've not ever seen anywhere else, but I know there were more.
  • chonakchonak
    Indeed, Latin is to be retained in the liturgy, but congregational hymns before and after the Mass are not really "the liturgy", so it's not necessary to require that they be in Latin.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Chonak, did you read his post? He's looking for Latin hymns because of the various language-speakers that are coming together for this Mass.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Proof that congregational Latin anthems can be very effective as entrance processionals at an EF celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZHROaPSVs
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. The Schola St. Cecile regularly uses festive Latin anthems at the entrance procession just as Ted described above. Here's one of their programs with the hymn Regnavit Dominus sung by the entire congregation with fantastic organ interludes between verses. Something for everyone there.

http://www.schola-sainte-cecile.com/programmes/2012-2013/08-pentecote/06-dimanche04.pdf

A recording:

http://www.schola-sainte-cecile.com/2013/06/16/enregistrement-sainte-messe-du-iveme-dimanche-apres-la-pentecote-la-peche-miraculeuse/
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • dad29
    Vatican II reminded us that people's internal and external participation in the liturgy was at a low

It did no such thing, at least regarding "internal." I'm fairly certain that the rite for consecration of a Bishop does not bestow the charism of mind-reading.

I would also remind you of the maxim that 'oftentimes, less is more.' JPII said the same thing (thanks, Ben). Musicians have a tendency to think that all holes must be filled with music. That's a bug, not a feature.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • tomjaw
    Ted

What a great idea singing Latin Hymns so all are included... We (EF) usually sing Office / Processional Hymns after the Offertory and Communion, but we do not have much congregational singing...

Have you seen this, http://gregorian-chant-hymns.com/hymns-2/

Also this society (I am involved with this) is in the process of producing a hymn book, https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com

This may help produce Hymns, https://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/transcriber.html

So you want a collection of Hymns, a few questions.

1. Chant notation or modern notation?
    2. Do you need a Hymn for each week (Sunday) and does it need to be directly related to the Sunday or just the season?
    3. When the Sunday falls on a feast say St. Anne, could you use a Hymn for St. Anne instead of the Sunday? (Last Sunday we sang a Hymn for St. Laurence)
    4. Could you use the ancient Processional Hymns, such as Salve Festa Dies (there are plenty more for different seasons / feast days)
    5. Melodies, I presume you would like to use a small number of melodies that can be reused for different hymn texts?
    6. How often would you want to reuse the melodies say Veni Creator has a melody that was originally used for an Easter Hymn Hic set Dies.
    7. Do you have any preferred melodies?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the great resources, Tomjaw! I can see some wonderful hymns for my children's schola to learn.

As I mentioned above, The English Hymnal (1906) online here has a lot of Latin hymns with English verses, so if you wanted to, you could take a hymn such as this one, Nunc Sancte nobis Spiritus, and plug in the Latin verses which are a perfect metrical fit as far as I can tell. Of course, the 1986 New English Hymnal is much clearer and more legible.

Nunc, Sancte, nobis, Spiritus,
    Unum Patri cum Filio,
    Dignare promptus ingeri
    Nostro refusus pectori.

Os, lingua, mens, sensus, vigor
    Confessionem personent.
    Flammescat igne caritas,
    Accéndat ardor proximos.

Præsta, Pater piissime,
    Patríque compar Unice,
    Cum Spiritu Paraclito
    Regnans per omne sæculum. Amen.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • hartleymartin
    Why Latin congregational hymns? In the EF liturgy it is entirely acceptable to sing processionals and recessionals in the vernacular. Mass does not start with the procession, it begins at the Introit.

I'm entirely supportive of Latin mass, tradition, etc, but insisting that every last thing be done in Latin is pushing it too far. There are thousands of good hymns out there, all suitable for use on various Sundays and Solemnities which may be included in liturgical worship.

Sometimes I think it boils down to something of an attitude of "Protestants sing hymns, Catholics sing chant." but in reality, most Catholics don't know single neume of chant.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

Why Latin congregational hymns?

Multi-lingual congregation.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • JahazaJahaza
    JulieColl: I do love grand organ processionals, but encouraging the community aspect of the EF congregation with vernacular entrance and closing hymns is, in my opinion, the greater good.

Chonak: Indeed, Latin is to be retained in the liturgy, but congregational hymns before and after the Mass are not really "the liturgy", so it's not necessary to require that they be in Latin.

So there is something to what Chonak says here... and I do think (at least in a mostly mono-vernacular community) vernacular hymns at the entrance would make more sense than Latin Hymns, but there is a rubrical question here as well.

The entrance and the exit and their music in the EF are rubrically regulated.

The Caeremoniale Episcoporum says:
    "Quotiescumque Episcopus solemniter celebraturus, aut Missae solemni per alium celebrandae in festis solemnioribus interfuturus, Ecclesiam ingreditur; aut, re divina peracta, discedit, convenit pulsari organum."

And mutatis mutandis, the Caeremoniale applies to parish celebrations as well.

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • For the non-Latin scholars in the group, "re divina" is "the holy thing"; just for a bit of fun, does "pulsari organum" mean "pumelling the organist", at least according to ICEL?

Thanked by 1Gavin
  •  
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    To reiterate:
    So the folks attending the weekly Sunday Sung Latin High Mass are folks whose mother tongues are French, English, Slovak, and even others. He does not want anyone excluded for the people's singing part in the Mass, so Latin fills that need for the hymns.
    Good grief! Respond. please, to the issue at hand, and please don't keep dredging up any red herring about singing these hymns in the vernacular.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Ted
    tomjaw:
    Thanks for your links. As for the questions, here are some answers:
    1. Music notation makes no difference. People try to follow the melody being played on the organ and sung by the choir.
    2. Preferably, a new entrance hymn for every Sunday.
    3. We in fact had St Anne's on Sunday two weeks ago (special for French Canada), and used a hymn from the new Antiphonale Monasticum (Solesmes).
    4. I am looking into the Processionals and would have to weigh the merits with, say, something from the Divine Office, such as for Vespers.
    5. If possible, melodies could be re-used, not every week, but fairly often.
    6. That is possible, but I was thinking of more recent melodies, that is, from the 16th century onwards.
    7. Adoremus Bulletin posted about 10 years ago, the top 10 most popular Catholic hymns. Tunes like those would be a good start. ( http://www.adoremus.org/0905Hymns.html ) In other words, I would prefer they not be Gregorian melodies.
  • JulieCollJulieColl

Nunc, Sancte, nobis, Spiritus,
    Unum Patri cum Filio,
    Dignare promptus ingeri
    Nostro refusus pectori.

Os, lingua, mens, sensus, vigor
    Confessionem personent.
    Flammescat igne caritas,
    Accéndat ardor proximos.

Præsta, Pater piissime,
    Patríque compar Unice,
    Cum Spiritu Paraclito
    Regnans per omne sæculum. Amen.

Ted, maybe The English Hymnal might be a good way to find alternative hymn tunes for Latin Office hymns. If you look very closely at the Nunc sancte nobis Spiritus I posted earlier, it gives suggested modern tunes in place of the chanted melodies. For that hymn MELCOMBE and ST. VENANTIUS are suggested. I looked up MELCOMBE, and as you can see, BINGO, the Latin verses are a perfect metrical fit.
  • Ted
    Ben:
    I have kept your idea of organ processional in mind. But after some thought, I began to wonder what would be the purpose of instrumental music before or after a liturgy, or even during. Surely it is not for pleasure. If it is about beauty then in what sense? There seems to be a can of worms opening up here.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MELCOMBE is indeed a sturdy, excellent L.M. tune, one of Samuel Webbe's best.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I think that Ted's concern is appreciable. However, I myself would question that pleasure, in and of itself, is a minus category in relation to liturgy. I would suggest that the liturgy itself is most pleasurable, particularly when celebrated with due sobriety and ceremony, splendidly. The organ, as the Church's pre-emminent musical instrument (other than the human voice), has a recognised place in our worship, contributes to this splendour, and adds much of unique beauty and character to it. It is fitting that it be employed for playing voluntaries, even at the offertory and communions when there is no ritual choral music being sung. Should we eschew the organ because it is pleasurable when we take immense pleasure at the other artful appointments around the church, including the very vesture of the sacred ministers? I, personally, do not think so. It is to be hoped that our God himself will be 'pleased' with all the arts which we call into service in worshiping him. Where I believe Ted's concern has value would be in allowing this artful beauty to be a distraction from our divine spiritual focus, rather than enhance it. And this, of course is every individual's heartful challenge, not a categorical negative. I think that we all know of St Augustine of Hippo's struggle with this very matter when he tells us that he was so moved by the chanting of psalms, so entranced by the beauty of the singing that he questioned whether it should be permitted. Wisely, he was able to put the conflicting facets into perspective with one another and decided in favour of the singing. It seems that we have, in our history, a need from time to time to find a balance between spiritual pleasure in the arts and music, and a puritan's tendency to forbid such. The puritan's approach might, it seems to me, be the equivalent of wearing a mental hair shirt. We are not all called to that, at least not as a constant. And, God is pleased with the beauty that we create by which to do him honour in his sacred precincts. So, if one himself is pleased, thank God for the gift of that pleasure had in his holy place. That is the correct focus. Our liturgy should be a Transfiguration event. Then we go out and get to work.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    Although the Asperges interrupts this, organ processionals (or preludes: my parish choir chants the Introit at the procession) often are improvisations on the Introit for the benefit of the people and especially the chanters. Of course it is also a part of divine worship and for the Almighty as MJO articulated.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Ted
    MJO. Yes, I was thinking of St. Augustine:
    (Confess. x, 33): "When it befalls me to be more moved by the voice than by the words sung, I confess to have sinned penally, and then had rather not hear the singer." A good voice should be the means for sung prayer, not become the end. In this context I do have a problem with pleasure. It can easily become an end in itself, and we start having idolatry for what gives pleasure. Clearly, we must go beyond pleasure when it comes to the liturgy. I don't think Augustine was ever comfortable with beauty because it has the potential to distract us from seeking God.
    This is a whole other world of discussion and is getting beyond my original topic, but it does address my preference for sung prayer over instruments in music for the liturgy.
  • tomjaw
    Ted

As you possibly noticed I am mainly interested in Gregorian melodies...

1. One advantage of the processionals of the 'Salve festa Dies' type, is they have a chorus that repeats after each verse, this can be sung by the congregation after each verse...
    I have the Easter version and the version for St. George typeset to the melody, but could make a list of the other versions, quite a few are printed in the Analecta Hymnica.

2. I have access to several volumes of mainly Office Hymns (possibly enough to sing a different hymn each day for the next 20 years) I could provide the texts of Hymns suitable for each Sunday / Feast, so that they could be set to melodies of your choosing.

3. The Old Westminster Hymn book also has many modern melodies set to metrical translations of chant hymns.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • chonakchonak
    Has anyone mentioned the St. Gregory Hymnal and the Pius X Hymnal? Those contain some Latin hymns a congregation could sing: e.g., Concordi Laetitia.
  • Someone asked "why bother"? One reason is that
    "Experience has shown that congregational singing is always a living proof of the Faith".

Read all about it in the quote from a Vatican instruction, reprinted in the foreword of this hymn book: http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-vn2152603-s4
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for that memorable phrase: "Congregational singing is always a living proof of the faith."

Pope Pius XII also said in Mediator Dei: "Let the full harmonious singing of the faithful rise to heaven like the bursting of a thunderous sea and let them testify by the melody of their song to the unity of their hearts and minds, as becomes brothers and the children of the same Father,"
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The schmaltzy old Christus Vincit would seem to do well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB07R-sizvk
  • I remember 'having' to do Flor Peeters' bloated and gaudy Christus vincit for Easter every year when I was in the service of Msgr di Primeo right after VII. It seems to me that such things are more atuned to Hollywood extravaganzas (or, maybe, the grand opera stage) than sacred liturgy. Otherwise (except for 'having' to play fanfares on the en chamade at the elevation on great feasts) he was quite rewarding to serve. After the council he did what he had always done - he just did it in English, which is to say that we had a solemn high mass in English with very fine music every Sunday that would give Anglicans something to think about! This praxis did not outlive his tenure.

About those fanfares - I could have crawled under the pavement! I thought at the time (and still do) that only a Catholic would do something so abjectly tasteless and gaudy during sacred proceedings.
  • matthewjmatthewj

About those fanfares - I could have crawled under the pavement! I thought at the time (and still do) that only a Catholic would do something so abjectly tasteless and gaudy during sacred proceedings.

Some places still do them.
  • Well, they won't be done in heaven!
    In heaven there won't be any bad taste - only impeccably perfect taste.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I hope there's a little corner of heaven for me (if I get there) with a pipe organ that I can play to my hearts' content and a chance to take organ lessons from Maestro J.S. Bach and voice lessons from Maestro Pavarotti. somehow, I wouldn't want to play and sing perfectly all at once since there is so much to be gained from the learning process.
  • dad29
    In heaven there won't be any bad taste - only impeccably perfect taste.

Well, let's hope that it meets your standards.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW