Another surgery in my future, along with organ lessons. What a crazy summer!
  • So I've developed more hand problems, this time a severe trigger thumb on the left hand. I have my six week follow up from the carpal tunnel/trigger on the right hand tomorrow and I'll see what the surgeon wants to do with the new problem. Healing is slow and that is frustrating, but life and work must go on. I may also get checked for arthritis since my joint problems have come on so suddenly, among other physical symptoms.
    Last month we had our yearly session meeting, where I was informed that "some people" (meaning either two or twenty, hard to say) were asking about the organ. They hired me as a pianist and this was discussed during my interview, but I have not had the time or financial means to pursue lessons. After some talking and throwing around ideas, I discovered that I may be able to study with someone at the university without cost to me. I did, however, ask if the church would be willing to help with additional expenses (purchasing music, small travel allowance for driving back and forth from my house to the church to practice-it's about a 20-25 minute drive), and was told they would consider it. I am VERY excited to get started, not just to appease my employer but because this has been a musical goal from the beginning and will hopefully open up more opportunities for me.
    Now if I can get my hands to cooperate...I can still play, it's not debilitating like the carpal tunnel was, I'll gladly hold off the surgery until next year so I can start lessons now. Oh yeah and my mother in law stayed with us for a week-and we actually had a good time! What a summer this has been...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    trigger thumb

You are holding your gun incorrectly.
  • CharlesW
    If you don't have the Flor Peeters Little Organ Book, it is a great place to start with organ. It is simple, well explained, and any musician could, I believe, follow it to learn organ basics. See St. Amazon for a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Organ-Book-Summy-Birchard-Peeters/dp/0874876001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438636733&sr=8-1&keywords=flor+peeters+little+organ+book
  • @Adam very funny lol I've heard that one a few times already!

@Charles thanks, I will check that out, hopefully it isn't too much. Just had to fork out $60 for a book...
  • CharlesW
    It's $9.23 U.S. dollars. I don't remember what Amazon charges for shipping but it shouldn't be over another $3.00 or so. The book starts with two-part manual playing, goes to three part, then on to 4 and pedals. It's all based on Catholic hymns, since Peeters was a Belgian Catholic organist.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @Adam very funny lol I've heard that one a few times already!

I never let the near certainty of repetition get in the way of the slight possibility of laughter.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Slight, indeed! Heh, heh.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • @Charles well that's a relief! I'll pick that up soon then.

In other news, I had my follow up with the surgeon today from June's procedures. He immediately scheduled the next surgery for September 2nd along with blood tests, says my symptoms are consistent with rheumatoid arthritis. Joy.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for you.
    Thanked by 1canadash