Liturgy of Hours resource
  • Heath
    From a colleague:

"I'm in Tucson for my christian legal fellowship and after a complicated and unfortunate series of events we have lost the opportunity to have daily Mass. In lieu of this, I'm hoping to try and give the Catholic students another opportunity each day to join together in prayer, perhaps through doing Vespers together. Are you aware of any good resources for such a thing? Specifically I'm wondering about doing some easy chant or singing with it.

"Also, as a guide to any advice or resources that you may have: there are international students here who make up a lot of the Catholics, so Latin is encouraged for its universality."

I mentioned the Mundelein Psalter, but that's probably impractical for what they have down there . . . any online/free resources I can send his way?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I'll let others speak to the music part, but I can't resist talking up the Universalis phone app for the office texts. Pony up the cash for the full version as it sorts the prayers without you having to fumble around for the correct psalms and gives you the Jerusalem translation of Scripture and the Grail translation for the Psalms. Multiple language options including Latin of course.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CGM
    I love Universalis, which I have on my tablet. But I'm told that the translations don't match those of the official LOTH books, and thus it is difficult for Universalis users to pray alongside book-users, or people who use a service like eBriviary or iBreviary, whose text comes straight from the books.
  • MatthewRoth
    iBreviary also has the good hymn translations that can be sung to Jesu Dulcis Memoria, at Vespers anyways.
  • Not Latin, but the Dominican nuns have made available a complete musical setting by Fr Chrysogonus Waddell OCSO of the antiphons for the Roman Breviary. Follow the dropbox link in this discussion.http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/10756/organ-accompaniment-for-office-antiphons#Item_10

Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Mundelein would really be ideal in that situation. LTP offers a significant discount on bulk orders if you call and negotiate.

Of course I'm assuming that you meant the Mundelein was cost prohibitive.

E-breviary is another online resource. Not free, but a reasonable subscription rate and it is the official texts. That would require printing them every day and they don't include the Latin texts.
  • OraLabora
    I believe iBreviary has a Latin option. I do know the French version has many errors, for example the wrong opening verse at the invitatory, and reducing the solemnity of St. John the Baptist (June 24th) to a feast. I haven't checked out the Latin or even English though.
  • http://divineoffice.org .. and, of course, the Antiphonale Romanum II.