Recommendations for Ottawa?
  • Dear Ontarians,
    In September I'll be arriving in Ottawa to study for two years (canon law) at St Paul University. Does anyone have recommendations for churches with a good musical tradition, for Sundays (OF)? I'll be living in accommodation for religious on campus, at Main St.
    Thanks!
  • MatthewRoth
    There is a Sung English Mass at both parishes staffed by the Toronto Oratory. I know you asked for OF, but their principal Mass during the school year is a Solemn High Mass...
  • Matthew,

There is no oratory in Ottawa, unfortunately, as that would be a great option. Sister Eleanor, I'm afraid I don't have any good recommendations. When I'm in Ottawa, I attend St. Ann's, which is an FSSP church only celebrating the '62 missal. I would at least give them a visit one Sunday!

-Paul
    Thanked by 1SrEleanor
  • MatthewRoth
    Oops. I pulled a real stupid. I saw Ottawa and immediately inserted Toronto in its place. Obviously, those are not the same cities...

:(
  • chonakchonak
    Sister, I've put in a query to an alumnus of the same program for tips; we'll see what he comes up with.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the reply, with some options:

OF - St Patrick Basilica downtown

Charismatic - St Mary Parish

Post-charismatic, lots of families, doctrinally orthodox - St Maurice

And, if you like to visit a Melkite church occasionally for the Byzantine rite, you'll be in walking distance of SS. Peter & Paul.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try, including the EF and the Melkite rite. Someone else has suggested a Dominicans at St Jean-Baptiste.
  • Pay a visit to St. Jean-Baptise parish at the Dominican University College. I studied Philosophy with the Dominicans there for a bit and really enjoyed their liturgies. Or come visit my parish (St. Mark's) just across the bridge in Aylmer, Québec!
    Thanked by 2canadash SrEleanor
  • canadashcanadash
    These are good to know!
  • Thanks, everyone!