Brass and Tympani: too much?
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Composition / Text-writing: Opportunities, Contests, Commissions, etc.

These comments were off-topic in the thread where they were previously posted.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • SalieriSalieri
    What's the deal with the Brass/Tympani fetish among cathedral musicians? I mean, it can be impressive when used sparingly, but frankly, it's over used.

Standard Us Cathedral Music Program: XIX Sunday of OT

Processional Hymn: Old Hundredth - Vaughan Williams - with Brass/Tymp.
    Mass Setting: Community Mass - Proulx - with Brass/Tymp.
    Psalm - Gelineau
    Alleluia - Celtic - with Brass/Tymp.
    Offertory Hymn: Praise to the Lord - with Brass/Tymp.
    Communion Anthem: Ubi Caritas - Durufle
    Recessional Hymn: All my hope on God is founded - Howells - with Brass/Tymp.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Salieri,

(At the risk of needing to duck): surely the reason brass are overused on any given occasion is that we're going to pay an enormous sum to have the brass players in the building at all that it seems only just/right/proper to make as much use of them as one can.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would offer that such use requires contextual analysis. I'm mildly uncomfortable with Chris' rationale as it demands a DM to orient the repertoire to the instruments, rather than the voice and the liturgical action. The other contextual problem is the (for me) automatic association of brass/tympany with princely courts of western European city-states from the ars nova through to the classical period. Granted the overlap in Tudor England has created an ideal ethos in that style, and other unique compositional styles evolved that are distinctly French, Venetian, "German," etc., all enjoyable as music. But, as per the discussions of late, is the ideal of sacred worship rooted in "noble simplicity" or " audacious excess?"
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    As a Trumpet player who has done a few church jobs, we often get paid more than the organist for one rehearsal and one service (though this might not always be the case). We also don't like to be sitting ducks, as our instruments get cold and we won't have a chance to re-warmup (it's a service afterall, not a performance, where we can play some quick long tones before a piece). The more we are utilized for a service, the more you get bang for your buck, not just because you can finally play all those brass-heavy pieces you have in your library but haven't had the chance to use, but also because our instruments stay warmer and better in-tune when we play them more frequently during the service (as opposed to waiting an hour between pro- and recessional, where we will all have gone very flat), giving you better quality playing.
  • Liam
    Should only be used on Good Friday. Instead of organ.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Should only be used on Good Friday. Instead of organ.
    That's what trombones were invented for: doubling singers while adding weight to solemn occasions. Bruckner is a great example of that being done tastefully. But not for good Friday.
  • Kathy
    I take the brass/timpani bombasticism to be an unwelcome remnant of the (overall positive) legacy of Richard Proulx.
  • BenBen
    I'm just saddened they weren't used on the Durufle.
  • SalieriSalieri
    This program is equally suited to both the old bishop's funeral and the new bishop's installation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I take the brass/timpani bombasticism to be an unwelcome remnant of the (overall positive) legacy of Richard Proulx.

...from whose Anglican DNA he likely inherited. However, I'd not place the saddle on M.Proulx, I'd go all the way back to the extrovert Sir Thomas Beecham. YMMV.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • francis
    Yes, brass and timp for mass are too much. Stick to the organ and choir... nonetheless, I might enter the competition anyway since I could use the money. Money is a terrible thing when it blurs the lines of music in liturgy... hmmmm... might as well write an orchestral Mass to go along with it.

Perhaps I would put a note on the score that "this piece should never be used for an actual liturgy." ;{
  • dad29
    Nah. The "brass" part goes all the way back to Gabrieli (maybe even before that).
  • francis
    I always used brass on very rare occasions.

Actually, I had a brass player every week for five years in my last position, and it was wonderful. However, if the church had to PAY him to do it, it would have never happened as it would have been cost prohibitive. Then again, it wasn't an ensemble, just a single trumpet, flugel horn and piccolo, and it was a very beautiful accent to the music.

I just can't see having a brass ensemble every week. For very special occasions, such as mentioned above, but the timpani... well, dad, on second thought, I had a timpani for Christmas and Easter celebrations and that was also wonderful. I purchased a Ludwig symphonic for a few K.

So maybe I should recant. It is nice on SPECIAL occassions, a few times a year.
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 kenstb
  • What's wrong with brass and timpani enhancing and adding gravitas to special, solemn services throughout the church year? Absolutely nothing.

Why pick on cathedral musicians? It's not an easy job. Of the other cathedral music programs that I'm familiar with (a good number), I've never heard of any having brass and timpani every week. Was the sample music list above from a special occasion in the life of the parish/cathedral/diocese? We use brass for Chrism Mass, ordinations, Easter, and if the budget allows, Pentecost. We use other instrumentalists for other occasions... string quartet at Christmas, oboe for Rite of Election, violin at Easter Vigil, cello for Good Friday. Am I a bad pastoral musician for using these? Not that I'm aware of. Brass and timpani are also very capable (if using professionals, I guess) of playing softly and with great care.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I always used brass on very rare occasions.

87% of the time, he uses it every time.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    is the ideal of sacred worship rooted in "noble simplicity" or " audacious excess?"

Why not both? Not at the same time of course. Though the Recto Tono Propers (TM) would be an example of an audacious excess of noble simplicity.
    The "brass" part goes all the way back to Gabrieli (maybe even before that).

August Schubinger, late 15th c., about the first guy we know of who played along with a choir for the Mass.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • CharlesW
    Since my bass section has weakened over the years, I wouldn't mind having a serpent or two to fill in.
  • francis
    Actually I had a built in brass player every week. It was a nice addition to the OF
  • Kathy
    When I go to ordinations, Chrism Masses, etc., I can't really relax and pray through the Eucharistic prayer because I'm cringing, knowing that the timpani is coming.
  • Kathy
    For "the GREAT AMEN."
  • Liam
    Or, for counterpoint, only for the humble amens.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    i like how Kathy broke up her post in order to create a sense of antici
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    pation
  • Liam
    or... PAY-YAH-tion.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • BenBen
    oboe for Rite of Election, [...] cello for Good Friday.
    Am I a bad pastoral musician for using these? Not that I'm aware of.

Have you taken a peek at GIRM § 313 lately?

Hint: "In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Oftentimes, I get the feeling that composers who write mostly for church choirs don't always understand how to properly use instruments and do what many young instrumental composers do, and overwrite for them. Brass instruments can usually handle "vocalesque" writing, especially since we often play transcriptions of old polyphonic works. (This also works the other way when primarily-instrumental composers try to write choral music.)

Timpani, or rather, percussion is another thing though. Many composers (especially young ones) tend to overuse them. An unfortunate example of this is Proulx's Community Mass, where the percussion play everytime the dymanic is louder than mf. Percussion can be used to great musical effect when composers realize that "less is more". Goods examples of this are Bruckner (all his works, sacred and secular that have percussion, especially the d-minor Mass and the 7th Symphony, where the percussion almost don't play anything), and Respighi (the massive transcription of Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue only calls for one timpanist, whose perpose is to highlight only the major cadences). If you're cringing because of the timpani, it's probably because of bad writing, which is in-and-of iteslf, cringeworthy.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I did a wedding a few years back that included a string quartet and two trumpeters: The trumpets played on the Processional (Handel Minuet for the French Horn, playing the horn part transposed); Mozart's Kyrie in d minor K. 341, and the Gloria from K. 49; and the recessional: "Hallelujah" form Messiah. I found it just enough trumpet, that it wasn't overbearing. There are times when I feel that brass (specifically trumpet) and tympani should be used still more in the classical school (I-V): they make a big impression, but are out of the picture enough to make their entrances important. (I say this as a low brass player--trombone & tuba, though the trombones play colla voce anyway, lol.)
  • Ben, do you have any grounds to accuse that I'm "breaking the law," or are you just presuming? Your response above seems rather cold. I don't believe I said anything about how they were used in my original post.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Percussion can be used to great musical effect when composers realize that "less is more". Goods examples of this are Bruckner (all his works, sacred and secular that have percussion, especially the d-minor Mass and the 7th Symphony, where the percussion almost don't play anything),

I trust, Zac, that you realize that your defense of the tympany use at Mass actually argues against itself? If the judicious employment of Bruckner means that essentially "the percussion almost don't play anything," then why go to any expense to own, rent or pay for a tympanist's services in the first place? Following the logic with "less is more," doesn't that conceivably apply that the least is best?
    This next comment is not directed at you, Zac, you're a professional with loads of cathedral experience. But sometimes I feel when the forum spins into digression or tangential qualifications for why something's OK in this context, but NOT OK in another, we often come off sounding like the gang that couldn't shoot straight.
  • MatthewRoth
    Marc, cello on Good Friday is odd considering the organ has been silent from the end of the Gloria during the Mass of the Lord’s Supper.
  • BenBen
    Marc,

Considering that musical instruments are only allowed for the purpose of supporting singing, and solo oboe and cello are ornamental than supportive, any use at all looks like it's against the rubrics for the season.
  • BenBen
    Also, Matt, I don't believe that rubric exists in the OF anymore, though it'd certainly be laudable practice.
  • MatthewRoth
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/279/how-to-choose-music-for-the-triduum/p1

One of the two is correct, either it is silent or that it is for supporting singing. Still, a cello seems out of bounds.

I heard the organ used to give the reciting tone for the Passion in the older form (the organist played the title tone...). Really bizarre, and I am sure I was not the only annoyed person.
  • Ben,

Rubrics in the OF are taken to be optional, even when they're not. Many years ago, not knowing better, but trying to solve another problem, I put the young-person's choir on for Maundy Thursday -- and they learned and sang Pange Lingua; for Good Friday I scheduled a group which included guitar and oboe. Now I know better, but there must be enormous pressure on directors of music throughout the Catholic world to use all instruments: active participation requires microphones, instruments and such. The congregation may not ever be allowed to hear itself sing.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    A former participant in this list used a cello to good effect to support voices in the Triduum. It's not the choice I personally would make; if your schola can't keep pitch, fix the Schola, or let the congregation suffer along with Jesus. But I'm not prepared to say that, in every situation, it's a bad choice.
  • JDE
    Richard Strauss once wrote, "never encourage the brass." But something no one has mentioned is that good brass players are capable of playing softly -- they're not like a Double Ophicleide that's either off or blastissimo. I have used brass quintet for several occasions with my choir, and I write the arrangements in such a way that they play softly or not at all while the choir is singing (unless the singing is pretty loud). Tympani also have a very broad dynamic range -- it's up to you as the director to, well, direct. You can't just fire a starter's pistol and let them do what they want while you wave your arms at the choir. So if the brass and tympani are too loud, don't blame the players -- it's the director's job to keep them in check.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • Well, I guess it depends on how you define support, and we seem to disagree on that definition.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We use brass occasionally. I haven't used timpani yet, but I'm not solemnly opposed to it. Here was a Mass we did with a trumpet. The player was very good and was even able to play a piece during Communion that came off quite well.

Mass with Organ and Trumpet, Cathedral of SS Simon and Jude
    Christ the King, 2014/2015 Choral Season
    Prelude - Prelude on the Te Deum, Charpentier - Trumpet & Organ
    Hymn - To Jesus Christ our Sovereign King - Trumpet, Organ, Choir **
    Incensing - How Worthy is the Lamb LCM - Organ and Choir **
    Kyrie from Missa Secunda, Hassler - Choir
    Gloria from Missa Secunda, Hassler - Choir
    Psalm - LCM - Cantor, Choir, Organ
    Alleluia - GS/LCM - Choir and Organ
    Offertory - LCM - Organ and Choir
    Offertory II - Christus Vincit - Trumpet, Organ, Choir
    Sanctus/Agnus Dei VIII - Organ and Choir
    Communion - LCM - Organ and Choir
    Communion II - some Elevation arranged for organ and trumpet by Rondeau
    Communion III - Cantate Domino, Hassler - Choir
    Recessional Hymn - Festival Canticle - Trumpet, Organ, Choir
    Postlude - something by Krebs arranged by Rondeau - Organ and Trumpet

** - at the 11am Solemn Mass these two pieces are replaced by the Introit.
  • BrBearOFS
    If I might chime in a bit.. Like ZacPB I am a lower brass player, as well as a string player.
    My father was a professor of Music and Specialized in Lower Brass, younger brother trumpet, and old brother percussion. So you might imagine I have opinions about music within the liturgical setting. While I can relate the simplistic purity of vocal music in its most basic forms... to the grandness of Polyphony. Its all wonderful. There are as Zac pointed out some technical difficulties with brass instruments. Indeed the same thing occurs with woodwinds given the circumstances. I played more Holy Masses within the church and out in the open air .. more than I can count. From a personal perspective I don't find the use of brass and percussion any more bombastic than the organ.. infact I would ask you to consider the idea that most DM's have an instrumental proclivity not to think of the Organ in that manner, precisely because it is their instrument of choice. The DM at our parish does not even know HOW to play the organ and plays an electric piano and feigns anything else.. Brass has its place, woodwinds , recorders, strings etc.. all have their place in the liturgy IF, used appropriately. The average pew sitter, does not know, nor do they care of the history of the use of these instruments in liturgy, they want to hear music that lifts their souls to Heaven.. and nearly ALL instruments can do that including the acapella voice..
    If any of you have ever heard shape-note music compositions, you might be amazed at how orchestral those pieces can sound.. ( getting off the box).. Thanks for letting me chime.. Peace. .
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW