NEW COMPOSITION! French~Style Mass by Ms Phillis U Hoh, free download - K, S, A
  • PhatFlute
    Holy, Holy, Holy ~ thoughts, thoughts, thoughts ?

--

Dear all members,

I have written a Holy Holy Holy for a congregation or cantor or choir to sing. It can be part of a mass, anthem, or concert. You are free to use my compose without a fee as my gift. Included is a << Congregation Card >> for just a melody.

I, Phil, would love your all feed back (thoughts, thoughts, thoughts) and notes of any errors. It was composed in French tradition, believe it is used in St. Sulpice, today,

Such love,
    Ph
    will update shorly
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you for posting this: I think the melody is very nice.

It might be good to consider changing the placement of syllables in one detail. After "Blessed is he who comes", the word "in" is lengthened to two notes. The vowel sound of "in" is one of the less pretty sounds in English, so I would avoid lengthening it.

• PhatFlute
    Update is here, thank you chonak for the suggestion, it is done. Even better now,

Ph

• matthewjmatthewj
    You might consider a different font for the lyrics.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Phillis, as Richard says, it has considerable charm.
    Regarding the two "Hosanna" phrases:
    Full score, 2nd system- consider unveiling your text painting on "highest" by having "-est" rise Bb-C-D, with a deceptive chord at that cadence rather than tonic Gm.
    Bottom score, using a Picardy raised third (BNatural) on the final could have a good effect as opposed to "cheesy" if approached nicely. You have parallel fourths, but I don't get bogged down by stuff like that. Nice first showing.
    Thanked by 1PhatFlute
  • BenBen
    Where is the "Glory be to God on high" coming from? I'm quite certain it's not in the Roman Missal.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's from the Book of Common Prayer. But other words need to be changed in order to use it n that context, so I'm confused.
  • PhatFlute
    The << Glory be to God >> is for use by our Episcoplian friends. A change of unity for two. I like the melody as the same both times for the Hosanna, i also do not beleive in text painting in this. Not in the French style. Rhytym is wrote wrong in << he who comes >> in left hand but need not change / for it still sound correct. Thanks for thoughts so far, I hope a female composer can be used first time in liturgical music,
    Ph
  • PhatFlute
    My font is clear to read, no questions of what the letters look like. Research has been done and it is a profession papyrus font. Recording soon i hope,
    Ph
  • PhatFlute
    A 4rth is a dissonance / rule is not broken in parralel. Consucetive 5fths or 1rsts or 8tves are consonants and mayst not be parralelled. So in that sence i haven't breaken a rule that i have noticed ! Please continue your falconlike watchful eye, with thanks,
    Ph
  • Phillis,

By the length of the note on Lord, you inadvertently diminish His Lordship.

God bless,

Chris
  • A very nice melody.
    Superior to many by 'big names' that are very commonly sung in our churches.
    I second some of the above suggested tweakings.

I like that it's chant-like and that you have a basically good instinct for syllabification.
    Are you going to provide kyrie, gloria, and agnus dei as well?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Phillis, I (or others) did not advance that your use of parallel 4ths violates the post-chorale theoretical conventions. However, Ph, the fourth is not a dissonance unless it is augmented, save for the natural tri-tone, F-B. Use of parallel perfect fourths (as in organum, darn that first rebellious monk) is not anything but the reversal of parallel perfect fifths.
    I agree with Jackson, outside of some textual issues, your chant-like melody, to these ears, has an Asian affect that is attractive. Regarding text painting, remember it is likely wise not to discard a tool in your toolbox that you haven't had a chance to employ.
    Thanked by 1PhatFlute
  • PhatFlute
    I will start a composition of a rest of the mass. Creed is too long for I have not the time. However i would need help in choosing an English title of my mass. Is there anyone I could dedicate my ass to? Love you're support and ideas,
    Ph ❤️
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would consider dedicating your Mass and anything else you can think of to "The Sacred Heart of Jesus."
    Charles❤️
  • PhatFlute
    New parts are Lord and Lamb: enjoy,
    Ph

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PhatFlute
    If there was a person who could draw up some cover art, Phil would love you for ever ! It would be included and go down history with my composition ;-> Yes!
    Ph
  • PhatFlute
    Is there any one that has a thought on the Lord Have Mercy or Lamb of God ? Thank you,
    Ph
  • chonakchonak
    It's summertime. A lot of people are doing other things than reading the forum. Be patient.
    Thanked by 1PhatFlute
  • PhatFlute
    Hello all.

Here is my recordong of my mass. For the notes see my posting above. Sound is 'simulative'. I hope you love it, this should give my idea of style and interpreting, and you appreciate my practice in the playing myself,
    Ph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GUNtTsXEA
  • PhatFlute
    Would I love thoughts if now time passed,
    Ph