Evidently, a topic whose time has come
  • Ok, everyone,

It's time to remind ourselves that not all priests, bishops, chancery personnel and errant choir members are complete jerks.

Anyone have a good thing to say about a boss, be he priest, bishop, chancery person......?
  • I have every good thing to say about the rector of Our Lady of Walsingham - and our other priests, as well. We have a fine choir, a fine choirmaster, the priests sing every bit of the mass, and the people respond enthusiastically with one voice. Equal good words are due to our ordinary, Msgr Steenson, and his staff at our new chancery next to the church. Our homilies are uniformly excellent, outstanding, and our liturgy without parallel in the archdiocese - a solemn high mass in Anglican English at 11.15am every Sunday and solemnity.

I also have nothing but praise for our cardinal-archbishop, H.E. Daniel Cardinal DiNardo. His love of music is legendary throughout the country. Wherever he celebrates, he sings the mass (though not as thoroughly as we do at Walsingham). It is sad that all his priests and deacons don't follow his example.... but Chris says we are supposed to be saying 'good things'.

At the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart we have an excellent organ, built by Martin Pasi. Unfortunately, the co-cathedral's liturgy does not rise to the level of its music... but Chris says we are supposed to be saying 'good things'.

The music at UST's Chapel of St Basil does not rise to exemplary, but it is of a decent and consistent quality. The choirmaster there has very good taste and his small-but-dedicated choir do very nice work. The people sing lustily on the ordinary and hymns, with some, but not a lot of, chant. I am engaged to play there throughout the summers and on great feasts. During the summers I choose very good hymnody and chant Gregorian hymns in English or Latin during communions, in addition to the Gregorian communion antiphon from either the Roman Gradual or Palmer and Burgess.

At Annunciation, in downtown Houston, the music is of a very high quality, directed by our member, Felipe Gasper, who is choirmaster there. He has a fledgling choir who do really good things, and has started a series of solemn vespers with polyphony by a semi-professional choir, Sola Stella. Other than a knowledge of the music, I cannot comment on the Sunday liturgy, itself. The pastor, though, is very orthodox and supportive of music. Annunciation is in process of restoring a one hundred-year-old Pilsher organ. Most of us would probably replace such an instrument, but it is good and commendable that we have an example of that style of organ building in good repair, living to see yet another day.

...Chris says that we are supposed to say 'good things', so that is all that I can say about music and liturgy in Houston.

Oh, except that at St Mary's Seminary the music program is under the direction of our member, Alexis. She is well versed in chant and is an ardent follower of Fr Columba. Together with Fr Michael Earthman, she is responsible for good musical training for the seminarians there.

Thanks for starting this, Chris! You are right - it was needed.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Equal and opposite reaction, get it, Chris. Thanks.
    I still am at the same tenure of 24 years. Grateful. Rarely bread and roses, but good things and some lilies along the way. I like our current bishop, my current pastorate and associates. That said, I've seen so much to know that sometime I've seen too much.
  • I moved away to accept a teaching post many years back, but I must speak up for a former boss of mine: I drove an hour each way to play and sing in his parish precisely because I knew that his goal was the worship of God and his method was reliably according to the mind of the Church. We met, if I recall correctly, twice a year to confirm liturgical details. Otherwise knowing what the Church taught meant that I knew my marching orders. Job security and peace of mind at the same time!
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • SarahJ
    Our pastor is excellent. Just before he arrived in February, I had decided to leave my job at the church. I was burnt out on playing music I just didn't like. I told him I would stay long enough to find someone suitable and make a smooth transition. Then he told me everything he wanted to do (antiphons! chant! organ! Latin!) and so I asked to stay. It's now overwhelmingly the best job of my life. And his excellent leadership seems to inspire quality leadership in others (not that I think of myself as a good leader, but I have certainly improved).
  • canadashcanadash
    We have an excellent pastor and a fantastic associate. They are both young and should be around for a long while... God willing! They both sing very well and give good homilies. They are also grateful for the work the musicians do.

We also have an excellent priest who is a professor at the local seminary. He is teaching the seminarians what they need to know in order to sing the Mass and beyond if they are willing to put in the work. I met one of his student seminarians at the 2015 Colloquium!
  • I must heap further praise on Holy Trinity Seminary in Dallas-Irving. While spending about three days there last October to give a recital on the new Ross King organ, I was privileged to participate in Sunday liturgies and to meet and dine with the seminarians. One could not ask for a finer group of young men in training to dedicate their lives to the service of the Most High. The faculty whom I was able to meet were likewise very commendable in their orthodoxy and holiness. Particular credit is due to our forum member, Dr Gregory Hamilton, who is the musical director of the seminary and is the source of a laudable tutelage in sacred music. There must be other seminaries that are exemplary in their sacred task. With the likes of these, there is hope for a bright future.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • CharlesW
    Annunciation is in process of restoring a one hundred-year-old Pilsher organ. Most of us would probably replace such an instrument, but it is good and commendable that we have an example of that style of organ building in good repair, living to see yet another day.

Could this possibly be a Henry Pilcher and Sons instrument? I would take one of those instruments in a heartbeat and rejoice over my good fortune in having it. They were fine instruments. Only one, a restored tracker, remains in my area. They have been replaced with lesser instruments reflecting the fads popular with fickle organists at the time.

At the moment, and until September, I am without a church organ while the console is being rebuilt. Some re-voicing and re-racking of a noxious 3-rank mixture and the addition of a 32' pedal stop will expand its capabilities, so well worth the wait. I didn't realize until yesterday how poorly a piano leads congregational singing.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Felipe Gasper
  • Liam
    <>
  • This same priest (whom I mentioned earlier), following the directives of someone in the chancery, asked me to find a workshop to attend. He sent me to the Sacred Music Colloquium in 2000, on the parish dime.
    Thanked by 1SarahJ
  • @CharlesW: It is indeed a Pilcher & Sons, Op. 1206. Ours is an electronic-action affair, and the restoration is taking a while due to space constraints, but it is the only such instrument to remain unaltered in the Houston area. The Pedal division is out completely, as is much of the Swell and the bottom octaves of the Great diapasons. There is some general “upkeep”, too, that needs to be done, but for a 91-year-old organ—and one that came along as such instruments were new—it’s in quite good condition.

Thank you to MJO for his gracious comments. (A quick clarification: Sola Stella is fully professional.) My pastor is indeed wonderfully supportive of the parish’s music and is a leader that people in our parish really seem to have latched onto. He sings the NO Latin Mass and much of two of the English Masses. He’s also learning to say EF Masses. It would, of course, all be for naught without the support of a fantastic group of singers who work with me on a weekly “diet” of chant and polyphony, and a parish that does a fine job of singing the Ordinary, responses, and hymns.
  • mahrt
    My choir sings for a Latin Mass in the ordinary form, with the lessons sung in English. The parish priests are not yet up to either the Latin or the completely sung Mass. For a long time, we have relied upon priests from outside the parish from the religious orders, Benedictine, Franciscan, Dominican, Carmelite, and even Jesuit. At present, we are blessed with several Dominicans, professors at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology in Berkeley, each of which comes once a month. They know Latin from their academic profession and are happy to sing the Mass in Latin. In addition, they are assiduous preachers. What a blessing!
  • A priest once called me at (really early in the morning) because I had sent a frantic e-mail at (even earlier in the morning; so early, in fact, it was still the previous evening). He told me that I had read a situation correctly and should act accordingly. Nothing like having a priest support honestly arrived at scruples. Made my week.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I just got the very first raise I've ever received in 45 years yesterday from my pastor!
    A surprise.
    Well, shut my mouth;-)
  • CharlesW
    Congrats on the raise! Now if I could just get that skinflint Presbyterian I work for to do the same. LOL
  • Charles W,

You work for a Presbyterian? Or is it merely a man with heavy Scottish influence?

Chris
  • CharlesW
    My ancestors were mostly Scottish so I know how excessively thrifty that nationality can be. LOL. I work for a priest whose ancestry is Irish - that may be even worse. ;-)
  • ronkrisman
    I just got the very first raise I've ever received in 45 years yesterday from my pastor!

You've been working for the same salary for 45 years?

Alleluia anyway!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, padre, this is the first raise I've ever had from church employment. Thanks.
  • Egad!
    45 years ago $25 was a more or less decent stipend for a wedding.
    Now it's ten times that.
    You have really been taken advantage of.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Our pastor in Summerville delivers solid homiletics on the readings and usually manages to make it contrast to contemporary society's flight from reality. The organist might always play at a dirge tempo, but I have yet to hear a Haugen/Haas/Schutte ditty. It calls to mind the bartender's dictum: a good drink in the wrong glass is better than a bad drink in the right glass.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • hartleymartin
    It's often a mixed bag. I've been in parishes where even the clergy fight amongst themselves over what should be the proper liturgical music.

Some clergy are just pleased to have someone who can make music. Others decide to micro-manage.

Some priests whom I regularly helped out just trust me to do a good job and leave me to it. I like these priests the best.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    I sometimes have issues with converts. They will mention what they did in the Baptist/Methodist/whatever church and inquire as to why we don't do it. I usually tell them something along the lines of, I am glad you converted and accepted Catholic doctrines and practices. Now convert the rest of the way and read the documents on liturgy and music. RCIA falls down on teaching those, or so it seems to me.
  • CharlesW
    You've been working for the same salary for 45 years?

It is common knowledge that I don't need the money from my church music work. I am grateful I don't, but it might be better if everyone didn't know that.
  • OraLabora
    The monks of the abbey I'm associated with. Everything liturgical is post-Vatican II, but exactly as Sacrosanctum Concilium intended: Latin Gregorian propers and ordinary at Mass (and Greek where appropriate, i.e. the Kyrie, the Improperes on Good Friday), chanted vernacular for the rest (everything chanted except the homily!); Lauds and Vespers in Latin Greogrian chant using a post-Vatican II monastic breviary, the other offices in French (recto-tono for Vigils and the minor hours, in directum for weekday Compline and more ornate French tones for Sundays and feasts), but with Latin hymn and Latin antiphon to Our Lady after Compline.

Everything is done with care and attention to detail; never is a rubric ever intentionally omitted. They really are an example of how the OF can be done, and how there's nothing inherent to the OF that prevents it from being done beautifully, reverently and as SC intended.

The former choirmaster (prayers please, he's in hospice with rapidly declining Alzheimer's) was the choirmaster of our small choir for its first few years of its existence. A stern taskmaster, but he imprinted the essence of Gregorian chant on our souls. A hard, but fair boss/teacher! The current choirmaster occasionally gives us tune-ups.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It is common knowledge that I don't need the money from my church music work. I am grateful I don't, but it might be better if everyone didn't know that.

Ah, man, and I just paid for the billboards to go up in Tennessee lauding your dedication and sacrifice!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Whether or not I need the money, I think I deserve "pain-in-the-behind" pay for putting up with some of the folks. LOL.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I sometimes have issues with converts.

I had a priest that told me Martin Luther was a genius for using old beer drinking songs and setting religious words to them so that the whole congregation could sing during the service. I highly suspect he is a convert, especially since he is from an area where there is a very high population of Lutherans.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I think Luther was a Catholic who became a raging heretic. ;-)
  • I've ranted about the director here before but when it comes down to it, she is a very kind and generous person, just slightly off-key sometimes I suppose. We have fun with the fact that we're both Catholics working in a Presbyterian church lol! If I could transplant the pastor there to my church and make him Catholic I would do it. His sermons are fantastic, he has such a warm and gentle spirit and genuinely appreciates music. He is almost completely deaf and had an implant put in last year, but this doesn't stop him from singing along with the hymns sometimes. Sure I wish I was paid more, but this church has given my family food and grocery store gift cards when we needed them, among many other things that have helped. I wouldn't trade my job there for anything
  • Blaise
    M. Jackson Osborn,

You are at OLW, Houston? Your DoM is Mr. Edmund Murray, right?

I am a former member of his festival choir at OLA, San Antonio. I endorse his work, and the music he uses is of excellent quality. Enjoy serving under his hand (I would say "baton", but he doesn't use one:)). His is the first and only real church choir I've been in (I've been in school choirs before OLA).

Paul Viola
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Many thanks -
    Yes, we are more than pleased with Edmund.
    Are you in Britain?
  • Blaise
    No, San Antonio, Texas, United States. :)

"OLA" is shorthand for Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the founding parish of the Anglican Use in the U.S. and all over the world. The "school choirs" above refer to public high school and university choirs.
  • Well, I thought that you were at Atonement, but I thought that I had seen a recent comment of yours that came from England. Perhaps it was someone else named Viola.
    I was able to return to Walsingham today because I had a break from St Basil's. I'll be back at St Basil's for the next several weeks and then will be able to return to wonderful Walsingham. (It is interesting the things we have to 'complain' about at Walsingham: today I told Edmund after mass that the choir were singing the wrong final cadence to psalm tone vii's doxology following the introit. We really are blessed!... today is the Xth Sunday after Trinity on our kalendar.)

It may interest everyone to know that, prior Henry the Bad's terrible deeds, England was known as our Lady's dowry... and that Mariology as we know it today had its beginnings in mediaeval England. What an irony that Henry's father, Henry VII, who had a particular liking for the Augustinians, built and saw to the foundation of many monasteries... only to have his tyrant son rape and pillage them, and parcel out their lands (for a hefty fee) to court favourites. (And to think that the very first paragraph of Magna Charta stipulates that 'the church of England shall be free' - which at that time [A.D. 1215] meant free of the crown... to my knowledge, no British academic, barrister, jurist, or government official, or churchman, or scholar has ever taken note of this.)
    Thanked by 2Blaise CHGiffen
  • Blaise
    Do you work at St. Basil?

Ah, yes, that beautiful title "Our Lady's Dowry".

As an aside, when I arrived at OLA in 2006, I used to make my checks out to "Our Lady's Dowry" (Our Lady of the Atonement parish bank account). Very beautiful title.
  • (And to think that the very first paragraph of Magna Charta stipulates that 'the church of England shall be free' - which at that time [A.D. 1215] meant free of the crown... to my knowledge, no British academic, barrister, or government official, or churchman, or scholar has ever taken note of this.)

"And more to this, the immunity of the Church is promised both in Magna Carta and the King's own Coronation Oath."

-- Sir Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons

(Yes, I know, it's only a movie. But screenwriter Robert Bolt took a lot of More's speeches directly from the transcripts of the trial, so it might be worth looking into.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Maybe it meant "Free as in Coffee."
  • rich_enough
    (And to think that the very first paragraph of Magna Charta stipulates that 'the church of England shall be free' - which at that time [A.D. 1215] meant free of the crown... to my knowledge, no British academic, barrister, jurist, or government official, or churchman, or scholar has ever taken note of this.)

Why would they want to?

I remember seeing this quotation carved into the woodwork with statues of the English reformers (Wycliff, Tyndale, etc.) in the Washington National Cathedral. Evidently there's been some revisionist history going on. . . .
  • Revisionist, indeed!
    Verily so!

Perhaps some of our forum members across the pond would care to weigh in on this. There is no question that the intent of the very first article of Magna Carta was that the Church of England (Ecclesiae Anglicanorum) 'shall be free' of the crown's meddling and its irksome interference in the appointment of bishops and abbots, matters of investiture, etc., and that its freedom to remain faithful to the holy father in Rome be guaranteed. That was the whole point of the article, and its being the first item on the charter magnified its import. After all, one will recall that Magna Carta was drawn up by the lords temporal and spiritual precisely to enshrine certain liberties in the law of the land, and required of King John that he sign them in that field of Runnymede in 1215. There was absolutely no thought at that time of a caesaro-papist church of the future Henrician variety. Such would have been quite literally inconceivable. The bishops wanted the crown out of the Church's affairs. Three hundred years later one lone bishop, old John Fisher, refused to acquiesce to Henry's preposterous dealings and paid for it with his life.

• it's irksome interference in the appointment of bishops and abbots, matters of investiture, etc., and that it's freedom

Jackson,

Disable the autocorrect.

Cheers,
    Chris