Winter 2007
  • Here is a good spot to discuss the new issue of SACRED MUSIC.
  • francis
    hmmm. I already chimed in under "How To Fight Against Active Participation" concerning the article "Beauty as a Road To God".

However, last night I read the issue from cover to cover sitting in front of the fire. The article on Messiaen was quite deep, and was very interesting since I am a composer myself and studied in the Universities in the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately, I was in secular Universities (The Peabody Conservatory and Towson State University) and they had gone off the deep end when it came to composing music. It was almost all entirely avant-gard. They were beyond the staff and were using graph paper. Music had indeed become a religion unto itself, and I left both institutions completely disenchanted with the systems of higher learning. I had to study and copy the masters on my own to learn how to compose true excellent music.

"Chant as Beautiful Art" stands in complete contrast to the article of Eleonore Stump. I commend Mr. Schrader for an excellent piece of work. Nonetheless, I must at least totally agree 101% with the opening sentence of Ms. Stump's "Conclusion".

There is so much in this issue, that it demands numerous readings to absorb the content. Perhaps I will post more later. Good work!
  • Thank you! You know, we have received a number of comments and even complaints about Prof. Stump's article, since she seems to be defending the music of the St. Louis Jesuits. I would like to talk a bit about how this article came about. After my piece on the SLJ's came out, she wrote a letter that was alarming in its content. In short, she was incredibly offended. Now, this was a surprise to me since she is probably the nation's leading medievalist in the philosophy world, a brilliant and thoughtful person. Her reaction to my piece reminded me, again, about the power of music and its mystical capacity to move people. I have my own views on their music, and they were completely different from hers. We began to correspond and explore this issue together. Finally she withdrew her letter and send this very thoughtful--though incomplete, in my view--article for publication. This was very exciting since the piece was solid (again, but flawed) and provides an excellent starting point for discussion. Meanwhile, in preparing the issue, we also had several articles on aesthetics that actually weigh in on areas that were not addressed in the Stump piece, so there balance is certainly there.

W. Mahrt favored running her piece as a way of engaging critical questions of the day. What's more, though she begins here piece with a note in defense of SLJ and a criticism of me (flattering!) her piece contains enough that is valuable independent of that issue.
  • francis
    Yes, I thought her train of thought was quite fascinating. It was just a shame it derailed in the end. The whole area of beauty as it relates to art, music and liturgy is a fascinating and expansive subject and one I have always thought about myself for hours and hours on end.

I think it is good to have these contrasting articles. It really get's people thinking and stretches their way of perceiving things.
  • Jeffrey, I ultimately regarded Professor Stumps' article with a similar dismissive attitude I garnered over the years of slogging through "Pastoral Musician" articles: "All hat and no cowboy."
    I am amazed at how many "experts" can wax prolific about certain types and aspects of music, in this case the inherent beauty the author presumably praises in that of the SLJ's, but never actually cite one title, or text, or elemental compositional trait to illustrate and buttress her contention and dialectic! I am actually quite sympathetic to her premise, but I would have cited, for example, John Foley's "May We Praise You" with commentary to abet my argument. Or I might have contrasted divergent works of the same composer, such as Bob Dufford's "Like a Shepherd" versus "Be Not Afraid" in order to articulate what aspects I deem to be in keeping with my "paradigm" of beauty.
    But for page after page in that article, nothing of the sort appears. So, at some point without a tangible, contextual example of practical music, the words "pendantic....didactic....sophistry, etc." start distracting me away from following the author's line of reason.
    On the other hand, the article by the professional musician from Florida held my interest from start to finish (without the need to be specific) because she perfectly captured snapshots of how decision-makers such as clerics and musicians actually go about their business, and why and how the average PIP responds. It should be mandatory reading.
  • Darn, another spelling typo: should have read "pedantic" though "pendactic" does have a sort of devilish ping to it.
  • I agree that the proof is in the listening.

I recall sitting in a diocesan workshop for about 6 or 7 house, blah blah blah blah. Full active conscious, full active conscious -- like we were being trained by the Red Guard. Finally, in the last 20 mins of the workshop, we heard music that was supposedly suitable. Sounded like easy listening rejects from the music loop at the Dentist office.
  • gregpgregp
    Exactly! Prof. Stump laid out a very logical and well reasoned argument, but never went back to connect it to the SLJ in any way.
  • But it was very important to her that the point about the SLJ stay in there and be up top. I think she is friends with one of them, and she was very hurt by my article, which of course made me sad. As I told her, I don't like their music but my point wasn't just to bash them and what they did. I was sincerely seeking to understand how it came to be that their music had such an incredible impact on American parish life. I wanted to understand. I thought I had some insights and put them in print. But I'm sure that I was far from writing the whole truth about this event.

I needed a good reminder that we are, after all, writing about matters that are very important to people, and that these matters do involve real people. The obligations of Christian charity apply to everyone without exception. Nor should issues of liturgical music turn on issues of taste. In other words, my own taste should have nothing to do with it.
  • I believe that Stump's article should not have been printed, because it was not up to the STANDARD of CMAA. It seems to me that her argument was, "I like a certain type of music, therefore that type of music should be used at Mass." If that is the case, then what is to stop kazoo music from being used at Mass, if someone likes kazoo music? There was no reference to the requirements that Holy Mother Church puts on the music at Her Liturgy and no reference to what TYPE of music should be used at Mass.
  • francis
    I can understand what JVN is saying. It could be misleading to those who are still trying to figure out what authentic liturgical music SHOULD be (such as the author).
  • I understand that too, but remember that there were four other pieces in the same journal that take a different point of view.
  • francis
    Do the other points of view prefer other music to chant?
  • Well, the real issue here is what constitutes sacred music, not necessarily what is beautiful only. something can be thought of as beautiful but not be holy. i believe that is the core of the problem.
  • francis
    I think what JVN is saying is that devoting 14 pages of SM to something that leads to a 'faulty' conclusion gives too much credence to a particular 'point of view' especially when it goes against the very meaning of liturgical music, which is what the entire article is trying to validate.
  • I am not blaming the editor. I am merely saying that the author is lucky to have been printed, since her flawed argument did not deserve it.
  • francis
    Please allow me to digress. There is no blame.

It is the choice of the magazine to print whatever they feel will contribute to the mission of the CMAA. I am simply pointing out that it is a hefty amount of pages that were 'given' to express a flawed point of view. The magazine only comes out quarterly, so space in SM is valuable, or should I say, at a premium. I just feel that in this day and age when there is so much confusion about the nature of authentic liturgical music, I now look to SM and the CMAA to model the ideal in sacred and especially liturgical music. In other words, being that most of us struggle with the cancer of the very musics that do not belong in the Mass, it would be best to promote with utmost clarity what kind of constructive course one can build to return to that which is the ideal.

I showed up to the Colloquium in 2005. I felt like I stumbled out of the dessert into an oasis. For those of you who have always had the Church's perspective, the proper support, and held to the true ideal, you must realize that you hold a torch; a torch that very few hold can weild. It is a great responsibility and an honor to know the people of CMAA. I wished I had met them decades ago. I am remorseful that I didn't know about them, or the truth of sacred music, and lost so much time and direction in my life as a musician in the Church.

So, my perspective is somewhat slanted in that I have been too long without, and I am hungry to rediscover the 'burried treasure'. SM and CMAA represent a treasure chest of sorts. When I 'open' the chest, I am expecting to find nothing but gold.
  • True but remember that the article she was responding to was printed in Sacred Music, so it's not as if its publication had nothing to do with the journal - as if it appeared out of thin air. It was a critique and it did make a contribution.

But let me also say this: it pleases me very much that people care enough to attack the editorial decision!
  • francis
    Ahhhhhhhhhh... correction received.

This was a rebuttal. I now see that explained in the first paragraph. This will drive me back to your article of 2006 once again.
  • francis
    OK. I reread the article about the SLJ. It all came streaming back to me. I remember clearly reading that article. I guess I chose to forget it all as soon as I read it. It was so painfully truthful and so truthfully, painful.

One word popped into my head... Hijacked. The liturgy was hijacked. The Sede Vacanists hold that the Church itself was hijacked.

These comments stood out in particular:

"For all the talk of community and unity that is invoked on behalf of their simple, popular, folk-like style, this music remains some of the most divisive in the history of liturgical music."

"It was a repudiation of the past in every respect, a fact which reflected the spirit of the times and the milieu that surrounded the group."

The fact that key individuals who helped to shape and form this music have left the Church altogether is also very telling. The similarities to the Beatles is no coincidence. The Beatles were used to create a mass hypnosis without THEIR even knowing it.
  • If I may refer to another article in SM -- thanks to Bill and Jeff for getting my copy to me! -- Lorenzo Candelaria misses, or rather oversimplifies, the central meaning of Guerrero's Ave virgo sanctissima. The motet was never likely intended for liturgical use as an antiphon, so there was no need to "sidestep" the liturgical designation of the text/chant. Rather this motet was the icon of the Spanish Immaculatist movement, which was centered in Seville. The litany of the text is, well a litany of the symbols for the Immaculate Conception, which was a hotly debated topic of the day. Rather he offers a rather obvious conclusion about the motet -- it's about Mary. Even when sung (the chant) in its liturgical setting on the Feast of the Nativity of the Baptist, I doubt anyone's mind went to the mysteries of Baptism! Perhaps someone will do some research to find out what it was doing there in the first place, but a much more interesting facet of Guerrero's motet is its promotion of the doctrine, which was a point of pride in Seville. I notice that he failed to mention that the motet generated no less than 6 imitation Masses by Spanish, Portuguese composers (along with the Flemish example he cites). In particular, the Missa Ave virgo sanctissima by Juan de Esquivel is particularly interesting. BTW the modern American premiere of this Mass was done at my own wedding, but I digress. Esquivel was so enamored with the motet that he quotes it in his own motet, Ave Maria Domini mei mater, which he assigns to the Feast of the Conception (won't be Immaculate until 1858). In a paper I will present to the Renaissance Society of America in April, I will show that these quotations and the similarity in structure were meant to convey a personal support for the IC at a time when promotion of it was banned by papal bull. In a sense, this connection between these two motets relates to Candelaria's excellent relation of Peñalosa's Mass and De tous bien plaine.
  • Now that I have disposed of my irritation that Professor Stump led the readers down her primrose path (with the apparently tepid or distanced assistance of a direct stakeholder, John Foley,) I would offer that the discussion of the attributes of beautiful music at service to liturgy, even within a (pardon the adjective) Pickstockian perspective is still open for business.
    I don't believe that Prof. Mahrt and Jeffrey purposely gave Prof. Stump 14 pages of rope with which to hang herself. I believe the intent on both sides of the equation remained honest. As Jeffrey stressed, four other articles, not the least the editor's "It's the Music" prologue, tackled the difficult subject of aligning the musical art's proper roles in efficating worthy worship to the Almighty Creator through the medium of His creatures and the "tools" of creation provided.
    We are fortunate, even providentially endowed, to deliberate these issues in real time. I'm sure that all of us, greybeards like myself, and our youngin's too, feel the push to restore the sacred (to paraphrase the '06 catchphrase) ASAP. But there are so many layers to this particular onion dome that will likely take a few more generations to deliberately and precisely reveal, that should not preclude discussions that champion or denounce "other" musics beyond chant and polyphony (as Orthodox homophony was mentioned in this issue) that elevate the musical worship arts without being self-serving or otherwise obviously deficient.
  • Michael, you MUST start submitting to SACRED MUSIC.
  • Jeffrey, Thanks. I may just submit the Esquivel article once I hammer out a few more things.
  • After reading and re-reading the Stump article, I must say that I am puzzled as to why she didn't give us any particulars as to why exactly she is so enamored with the music of the Saint Louis Jesuits. She had such a great opportunity to speak to us and convince us of any particular pieces that we should all use... or of particular reasons why we should change a possibly negative opinion of SLJ music.

Her ending points about being charitable to others in the differences in taste we have regarding music are things we should all remember. After 40 years of some really poor music in our churches, how can we expect those who don't have a particular interest in music to have well-formed musical consciences? I do think that her points could have been made in much fewer pages, however :) I got a bit tired with her wandering thought processes... I was wondering if she got lost in what she was defending along the way...

The editorial decision to print it showed great charity, I think. Not being a member of NPM, I am wondering if articles more like those in Sacred Music are ever included in those journals? Having the opportunity to read diverse opinions is good for us, after all. Probably it would generate the same type of lively conversation among NPM musicians if a Sacred Music article made print there... (just speculating).
  • You know, I think her point was not so much about the SLJs, but rather that people see beauty differently, based on where they are in their spiritual formations and liturgical understanding. I suspect that some people like chant for very superficial reasons too. I'm beginning to think we have this backwards. If all of us volunteered to teach a mini course on Catholic liturgy in our parishes, we might find that people start asking us, why do we sing GUI instead of the Introit. Then we just reel 'em in from there. In any case, as I mentioned in a post on another thread, people connect music with events in their lives. I'm guessing that Prof. Stump is not separating the music from its deep emotional connections for her. She alludes to this in her opening paragraphs. As for the 15 pages, I skimmed. Philosophers have a way of making their arguments that relies on rules of rhetoric that can sometimes seem tedious. That said, she certainly could have tightened up her argument a bit.
  • francis
    OK.. back to winter.

I just listend to Messiaen's 'Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps'. It is simply a dazzling work. Pristine, clear, light, sharp and refined. ...and the typical French closed chordal harmonies that are so warm and intimate. I will have to reread the article and leave a comment after I look deeper into his theory.

So much of the music of the 70's and 80's in the secular Universities (that I was attending) was grasping for music similar in this vein, but it was all music for music's sake; experimental, scientific, cold and sterile. It was all stillbirth. It had no faith basis. Music devoid of faith (or knowing how to speak in the tongue of men and angels without love) is 'just a noisy gong and a clanging symbol', and I was witness to that vaccuum in our culture during those difficult years.

I remember one of my colleagues playing some "imitative bird" pieces when I was studying organ in the mid 70's, but had not ever heard this piece till now. I wish I had thought to look it up sooner.

Thank you SM for pointing us in this direction.