Draw Near by Steven Janco
  • musicman923
    Hi everyone, I was looking in the new Worship IV hymnal. I found a hymn called "Draw Near" in the communion section by Steve Janco. I'm curious what people's thoughts are of this hymn?? When talking it a choir member they thought it was pretty blah melodic wise. I actually find it a nice text and decent musically. I am not one for very contemporary music and use little Haas and Haugen music. I try to really use all traditional organ music and hymns. The verses seem to be very good for Corpus Christi. Do other traditional organists like this text and tune as well??
  • rjlynch210
    I have used it before. It's decent.
  • I think the verses are a bit much for many congregations, as they're really a mouthful. Refrain is fine.
    Thanked by 1rjlynch210
  • The verses were changed significantly from the original octavo when it appeared in W4, and I much prefer the original text. That said, it's an excellent use of a traditional text with a very singable melody.
  • rjlynch210
    Agreed with Tim. Have the choir or cantor do the verses, and congregation just sing the refrain.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I like it. Among the more contemporary stuff, it's toward the top, IMO
  • I don't know the piece at all, but if I can find it (it's not in any resource I have, to the best of my knowledge) I will try to offer helpful thoughts.
  • If you search for it on WLP's website, you can see a preview PDF of the whole piece.
  • Marc,

Ok. Now I've seen it.

1) Who writes congregational music in 5 flats? {Remember that everything has to be easily within the understanding of the assembled lay faithful.}

2) The music strikes me as unsuited to the text: it swings at the very moment we should be concentrating on our immediate preparation to draw near and receive the body of Our Lord.

3) I like the original text. Precisely because of this, I think Janco's music doesn't do it justice.

• musicman923
    I only know of the new worship IV verses text. How are the two texts different? I find the hymn text lovely. For contemporary music, it's on the top list of being good and not like most junky not true theology OCP music! It's a text with substance, in my opinion.
  • Christopher Walker has a nice, short setting of Draw Near, which we've used numerous times. It has a nice organ intro.

http://www.ocp.org/compositions/80889#tab:sheetmusic
  • Liam
    The text is a durable 19th century Neale translation of a Roman hymn, and has been set to a number of 10.10.10. melodies, as well as adapted (Peloquin used it for "In Kindness and In Truth", you may recall).

Of course, it was a hymn without a refrain, and Janco has converted the first verse into a refrain, presumably to allow congregants in the Communion procession to sing just that. So the refrain would tend to be simple by design.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    1) Who writes congregational music in 5 flats? {Remember that everything has to be easily within the understanding of the assembled lay faithful.}

Chris, I would imagine quite a few folks have. Your question seems pedantic when you link it to a general lay understanding of music theory. The constructs/concepts of modality, tonality, tessitura and specific emotive associations with key assignments existed with the Greeks and certainly up through the Baroque. For example, I have a particular fondness for EbM/Cm for (I would imagine) a variety of reasons. Perhaps, for altos and basses, tonic C may have a tessitura from the lower fourth G to the second octave C. Shifting up a semitone would provide some relief for tenors/sopranos. In any case, if a PIP is musically illiterate, they still are capable of "following" a melodic contour should they choose to look up from the text. YMMV.
  • Liam
    Yes, folks in the pews don't generally pay attention to key signatures. Except for the folks with perfect pitch who read music. For them, transpose a tritone from the written key.
    Thanked by 2Andrew_Malton Heath
  • The only people who are going to complain about 5 flats are the same people who complain about square notes.

The complaint is not a complaint, but a desperate cry to be noticed as someone who possibly may be on the same level as you, a fellow musician stranded in the pews of a Catholic church which can be a vast musical wasteland. Of course, the person may just be a complainer.
  • BenBen
    If I recall, I think it's an older text to a newer melody. I've always seen it done with a cantor on the verses. It's my understanding the text is a translation of Sancti, venite, Christi corpus sumite.

As irishtenor said, among modern things, it's on the upper end.
  •  
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Except for the folks with perfect pitch who read music.

True dat, KLS. I have two organists with perfect pitch, and are also magnificent improvisers, so guess what relieves any possible cognitive explosion? Not the transpose key, not me pounding out key sig. changes on Finale, nor the infamous, elusive organ capo.
    Nope, square notes and four lines is just the right tonic, pun intended.
  • BenBen
    Disclaimer: I have not looked at or tried this particular piece, this is just a comment from past experience.

http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/download/008567.pdf
  • On the topic of5-flats, I bow to the obviously superior knowledge and experience of my fellow posters.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No need for that bow, Chris. I probably wouldn't have said a durned thing if you'd said the piece was in 5 sharps. Now I find those irritating;-) I must be an prejudiced enharmonicist!
    How are things up north?
  • Liam
    Melo: were you a wind player in your past life? (In my experience from a past life, wind players tend to prefer flats, and string players tend to prefer sharps.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Instruments that I've played: violin, String Bass (BA), Flute (BA), ukulele, all manner of guitars, piano (badly), organ (manuals only).
    Those that survive weekly use to today, guitar/bass/flute.
    My predilections above are actually more based upon my vocal history, believe it or not. But having started formal theory as a HS sophomore was the best musical decision I've ever made, especially as multiple visual impairments were a hindrance to piano pedagogy. There's one thing I really appreciate about Ostrowski- he treasures bass note movement.
  • Liam
    I trained on horn, then moved to a more portable instrument (my voice) midway through college. I took theory in HS and college (my college theory homework was much more difficult - and interesting - than anything in law school....), but my lack of keyboard skills was a hindrance to more advanced work, and I didn't have resources to move farther/further. But it long taught me to prefer the work of composers who conceived of their works with the voice in their minds' eye/ear, rather than the keyboard. (My enduring complaint about much contemporary work (but it's also an afflication of certain composers of a more traditional era) is how much of it is obviously written from the keyboard, by the keyboard and for the keyboard, with voices as an accompaniment. Hence my longstanding guidance to cultivate a repertoire of sacred music where accompaniment is lovely but not essentia; if that's you're starting point, you will sift out much crap.)
    Thanked by 2Jahaza CHGiffen
  • francis
    I just play it in C and be done with it... or D if it's later in the day.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    If you can remember three flats you can remember two naturals.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would much prefer this version arranged by James Biery with choral verses:
    https://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=335

The other antiphon in the same collection with verses set to JESU DULCIS MEMORIA is also quite nice.