Volunteer Cantors
  • rjlynch210
    Hi All!

At my current parish, I have one paid professional cantor, and the rest are volunteer from the Choir..

I have a website that I made for the choir where I post all of the music and record anything that I think they might need to listen to for the volunteers. It's usually up the Monday/Tuesday before the upcoming Sunday. So more than enough time to look at it.

This past Sunday, 90 minutes before Mass I got a very nasty email from the Cantor who was scheduled that day. Stating that he got up early to look over the music etc (which tells me right there it was the first time he looked at it)... I was also changing to a different setting of the Gloria and I stated that in my email to them the previous Tuesday... He said that he would not sing it because he didn't know it... I had all common Hymn tunes (well, what I would consider common) Nettleton, Slane, Taize Eat this Bread and Ellacombe. He also stated that he didn't know 2 out of 4 of the Hymns...

I was pretty upset after reading that message.

I think I just need to send out an email to all cantors and say that they really need to look at the music ahead of time...

So my question to all of you is: how do you deal with rehearsing volunteer cantors if you must have them?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I've made recordings for people in the past with varying degrees of success. The first time I did it, I made them for everyone and even burned them onto CDs because many didn't have computers or Internet. I am 100% certain that some people never bothered to listen to them at all. As I went along, I offered to make recordings and then when people requested them, I made them. I'm quite sure those people used the recordings.

If this cantor doesn't know 2/4 of Nettleton, Slane, the Taize, and Ellacombe, he doesn't know much. That said, I still usually meet with cantors 30 minutes before Mass begins to run through the music with them. If he can't learn it with you in those 30 minutes, then...he's not very good.

Not everyone is going to like this suggestion, but I always make sure that I have the ability to sing from the console (or piano, if you must...) so that I can cover something that the cantor either doesn't know or doesn't know well-enough. This is not a perfect solution, but it enables me to tell the cantor, "You know what, I'll take the lead on this one." I haven't had a problem with telling anyone that in the past, though YMMV.
    Thanked by 2SarahJ Jani
  • rjlynch210
    @irishtenor thanks for the reply. In reply to your last paragraph... I do that too, but only when it is an absolute must. It sort of defeats the purpose of having them there if I have to end up singing it!

I also meet with them a half hour prior to Mass.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Yeah, if you're going to meet with them 30 mins before Mass and he's still sending you angry notes, then he's out of line. Especially since you sent him recordings in advance!
    Thanked by 1rjlynch210
  • Cantors shouldn't be chosen from such as this person.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What's a "cantor?"
  • [Please notice absence of purple and bold]

What's a cantor? When we can answer this question, we can also answer the question about cantor/soloists.
  • matthewjmatthewj
  • donr
    I only do one Mass per Sunday, so my experience is a little different than your might be. I send out the music for the next Sunday every Sunday prior, Monday at the latest. I hold one rehearsal every Tuesday evening where anyone who wishes to sing at Mass with the choir is required to attend.
    We use Respond & Acclaim for our Responsorial Psalm and Gospel Acclimation. We sing the responses SATB and the verses either in Unison or Alternating between Men and Women. So we do not have one Psalmist we all sing it.
    For the Gospel Acclimation we sing Alleluia in SATB and the verse is sung by any one of the members in the choir that I choose during rehearsal.

I also require members to arrive at Mass 1/2 before Mass to run through the music. Mostly to warm up their tired voices.

If someone is having trouble on Tues. I will send them a recording of their part(s) so they can have it down by Sunday.

FYI... I don't pick music that is too difficult for my inexperienced all volunteer choir but if I do have a piece that I know will be difficult, we rehearse it many weeks in advance.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • JonLaird
    Dear cantor,

I apologize if 6-7 days is not enough time to prepare music for the upcoming Mass; I know it's not very long for busy people but it is the best I can do at this time. Unfortunately, I can't really make adjustments right before Mass, since my Sunday schedule does not have much flexibility, and the music is part of a larger vision for the parish which I have worked out with the pastor. But if you can notify me of concerns earlier in the week when you first look at the list, then I'm sure we would be able to work something out that would be best for the parish.

If you're concerned about not being able to prepare music on time, perhaps we could have you take a break until your schedule clears up. You can let me know when you have time again to prepare the music ahead. If there is anything else I can do to help you learn the music on time, let me know. I try to be pretty good about [list the things you do to help them prepare], but if this isn't working for you, let me know so that I can use my time more efficiently to help you.
    Thanks for your continued committment to the parish, and I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Please know that I pray for you often and thank God for the constant help he provides for me through others.

Sincerely in Christ,
    RJ

Such an approach can and has turned attitudes around, provided the person in question is generally reasonable and was just having a bad day/week/month. But if that does not get him on the right track -- that is, if his reply is not positive or at least neutral -- then it is necessary to drop him altogether from cantoring. A side effect of that may be that he might also quit the choir, which you may or may not want; or he might carry his infectious attitude to choir. Be ready for either.

People who think they are indispensible, that they can just threaten to "take their ball and go home" if I don't give them what they want, do not survive in our choir. All of our choir members know that what they bring is necessary for the fullest expression of the liturgy, but they also know they are individually dispensible from the choir and accept that they may be asked not to sing for a piece, a Mass, a month, if in my determination they are not prepared. They sign a statement to this effect at the beginning of the choir season.

Everyone is enthusiastic to participate and they all sign willingly, but it is painful for anyone to be asked not to sing for something. I have had the joy of seeing choir members grow in their character through such an experience. They generally gain a better ability to judge themselves and in the future are able to recuse themselves on their own without my asking them. It is a real test of why they participate, stripping away all the external reasons: is it for self or for God?

On the other hand, a few have not been able to handle this experience and have quit the choir. This and other things keep my choir smaller than I would like it. But I will take 2-10 humble, hard-working, honest, reliable amateurs over 20-30 self-important, flaky, whiny, though experienced singers.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Ben
  • bonniebede
    I suggest you have a longer lead in time, with a date for notification of difficulties.

Also suggest a spreadsheet to track the music you do, and then have a training session with the cantors so that they can identify what music you have scheduled for the next season / year which they do not know or need further help with.

Maybe you should be getting to know what your cantors know, so you can assign appropriate music.
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • CharlesW
    My cantors range from good to a warm body in the right place and time when no one else is available - such as some Sundays during the summer. There is no money to hire anyone, so some Sundays will be better than others. I appreciate their willingness to help out, even if all of them are not solo artists. I get with them after Sunday mass the previous week and go over next week's music. I am also available to do the same 30 minutes before mass. Does it always turn out perfectly? No, and it never will.
  • BenBen
    Paid cantors. I got $30/week for a while, iirc. Not much on the budget, but handling paid people is much easier than employees. Sounds like a win win: you get more control, and people get paid for their work.