Wedding on the Feast of the Assumption - organ music suggestions?
  • aphill
    My friend's sister is getting married on August 15, and the family has asked me for suggestions regarding possible processional/recessional organ pieces based on Marian themes. Suggestions for pieces that fall into this category and are sufficiently "upbeat"?
  • I have a Toccata on Regina Caeli.

Thanked by 1aphill
  • Marcel Dupré, 8 Short Preludes on Gregorian Themes, Op. 45 (1948) has some good pieces based on Marian tunes, especially the (Solemn) Salve Regina.
    Thanked by 1aphill
  • Caleferink
    Hermann Schroeder wrote a set of pieces that might fit the bill if one is receptive to his harmonic language (and the organist has it in his repertoire or is a fast learner): Die Marianschen Antiphonen (published by Schott). There's a Prelude on "Regina Caeli," Variations on "Ave regina caelorum," Choral on "Alma redemptoris mater," and a Toccata on "Salve Regina."
    Thanked by 1aphill
  • Alexandre Guilmant composed a postlude for the feast of the Assumption found in vol. 5 of the Practical Organist (Op. 50, no. 4). I'm also very fond of the the last movement of Suite Mariale by Paul de Maleingreau entitled "La Glorification" that would suffice as a postlude for an August 15 wedding.

These are not easy pieces, however, to perform on such short notice. Sometimes one would think organists contributing to this forum don't really need to practice or time for pieces to settle in. That may be the case in heaven, but not here.
    Thanked by 3Ben CharlesW aphill
  • hartleymartin
    Use any regular organ processionals/recessionals. Mary is the Queen of Heaven after all!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW