Choir singers
  • PhatFlute
    Like the subject say, choral matters. Yes he does.

Two questions here :
    1, what do you think of paid choral singers versus volunteers ? Alike, what would the God think to hear the phrase ? Ethics ?
    2, with a good choir made of good singers(paid or unprofessional) , is catholic composed mass settings for choir or congregation better ? Possibly a combo of the two ? ! :)

Look forward to the responses ,

Phil

FOLLOW ME ON THE TWITTER FIELD : use the hash tag user font at @phatflute
  • Phil,

I'm not sure I understand, but I'll try to make a stab at an answer.

1) Paid choral singers are only a problem if they think this status gives them special privileges (what many call a "prima donna".
    2) Volunteers can (sometimes) be the bane of a choirmaster's existence: if they don't know what they're doing, but can't be persuaded to learn and improve or leave.
    3) I can't think of a good reason to have some parts sung only by the choir, and the other parts "open" to the congregation. Chant allows the congregation to sing, but doesn't compel them. Cantors who stand up in front of a congregation and direct them when to sing do a dis-service to the properly understood concept of the worship of God. Organists can do this by changing registration. Polyphonic Masses should be sung by the choir alone, but entered into by attentive listening by the faithful.

I won't follow you on Twitter, but thank you for the invitation.
  • PaxMelodious
    What do you think of paid organists? What do you think God would think of the phrase?
  • ryandryand
    1 Corinthians 9:14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

Proclamation through music.

1 Timothy 5:18 and Luke 10:7 also say that the laborer deserves his wages.

God's ok with it.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    1 Timothy 5:18 and Luke 10:7 also say that the laborer deserves his wages.

God's ok with it.

Some church musician wages are so low God may be embarrassed by them, LOL.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • vansensei
    If it's a small chamber choir of 12-15 singers (which would be my ideal church choir were I ever to start one) that have high sight-reading and singing ability like Tenebrae, Polyphony or the Sixteen, then paid, maybe.
  • PhatFlute
    How do i explain to one the purposes of a choir ---- what would youuuuu say ?! You'r answer are all true help,
    Ph