Organ Concert ideas
  • Gaudium
    Hi all,

My sweet little Moller organ is getting renovated this summer, and we are planning a "re-dedicatory" concert in the fall. I am a pianist (B.M./M.M. from conservatories) turned organist. I have been taking organ lessons for 4 years or so (I've played Bach little preludes and fugues; bits and pieces of Bach trio sonatas; Franck chorale 3 in a-minor; some Clerambault; Widor's Toccata, etc, etc.).
    I am looking for input and ideas for a great concert that will "show off" our improved but still limited organ. I would like to do a Bach "great" prelude and fugue for a priest who has been here over 40 years who loves Bach. Maybe a Mendelssohn sonata, or another Franck chorale, something to show off our new humble trumpet stop.... Ideas, please (keeping in mind time constraints, and my great hands and excellent sight-reading, but not-great feet/coordination!). Thank you!

Below are the specifications.

GREAT
    8 Open Diapason
    8Stopt Doapason
    4 Octave
    4 Flute
    2 Fifteenth
    III 2-2/3 Mixture
    8 Trumpet (SW)

SWELL
    16 Bourdon
    8 Viola d'Gamba
    8Bourdon
    8Celeste
    4 Principal
    4 Flute
    2 Bourdon
    8 Oboe
    8 Trumpet
    Tremolo

PEDAL
    16 Subbass
    16 Lieblich Bourdon (SW)
    8 Principal (Ext of SW principal)
    8 Subbass
    16 Contrehaitbois (SW Oboe extension)
  • CharlesW
    I have played the Bach Fantasia & Fugue in G minor ("Great"), BWV 542 on an instrument no larger than yours. It's a nice piece. How well does your trumpet stop work as a solo voice for the Franck A Minor? Audiences love the David German Festive Trumpet Tune if your trumpet works well as a solo voice. It's easy to play. The David N. Johnson trumpet tunes are nice - there's a whole book of them. You have some good ideas and can do a lot with that instrument.
  • To show off your trumpet stop the English trumpet voluntaries are ideal - look into especially those by John Stanley and Dr Willm Boyce (No. 1 in D). Also there is a nice trumpet fanfare by Ronald Arnatt that you might enjoy. Too, there are the basse et dessus de trompette in much early French literature. These are very nice and can be played as part of a set of three or four pieces drawn from a larger set, say a plein jeu, a recit de____, and a b. et d. de trompette + maybe a grand dialogue. For Bach, have you considered the kyries from the Clavierubung? I have played several recitals recently that were drawn entirely from cantus firmus literature accompanied by the appropriate chant and chorales. You might even look into the chorale partitas of J.G. Walther and have the congregation sing the alternatim stanzas of one of the better known chorales.
  • I'm learning some Portuguese repertoire: settings of the Ave Maris Stella, using the well-known chant melody. It needs some good reeds. Coehlo's the composer's name, from the 16th century.

Titelouze's Magnificat Octi Toni (I'm writing this from memory).
  • If you'd like to feature a humble trumpet with Franck, I'd suggest the Prelude, Fugue and Variation. It's about as sight-readable as Franck comes.
  • I would suggest playing a Bach transcription such as sheep may safley graze or air on a g string. A larger Bach work like the prelude in c minor bwv 542....since the prelude and fugue were composed at different times its ok to program it alone.
    Viernes 24 pieces en syle lybre......Lied, Berceuse,Carillon.....would be nice as well as the transcribed maestoso in c # minor "kyrie" from the mass with two organs and choir....haunting melody and not that difficult to play.
    Having hosted and performed in many venues....I would highly suggest putting a video camera on the console and projecting it up on a screen to keep the average parishioner engaged. In this highly visual society, it creates a lasting impression.
  • francis
    I suggest my great fugue in c major

Forgot link

http://www.myopus.com/fugueInCMajor.html
  • PhatFlute
    The pieces of Flor ; typically the << Fourteen Brief Movements >> are geourgous pieces. I forget might not have correct translation of the 14 BM,
    Ph
  • PhatFlute,

Did you mean Flor Peeters?

geourgous
    : you mean "gorgeous"
  • PhatFlute
    Yes flor peeters oops ! Thank you for the corrections,
    Ph