Montpellier Codex
  • WGS
    Montpellier Codex

If you're not familiar with this treasure, take a look at the attachment or do your own on-line research. Some of you may already have viewed a page of this Codex in Ted Marier’s Chant Practicum.

In 1848, a researcher recognized the “digraphic notation” in these 11th century manuscripts. In addition to the text and the semiological indication of rhythm, there were clearly specified sequences of pitches. It was like a “Rosetta Stone” for decoding some of the early efforts at chant notation.

In May, my friends and I were scheduled to visit the Languedoc-Roussillon area of France. The itinerary included several days in Montpellier. I suggested that our local tour guide might inquire about our being able to view the Codex.

From several CMAA sources, I had been informed that this was practically impossible. The Codex is located in the Medical College Library of the University of Montpellier, and it seemed it was not their practice to provide for a popular viewing.

Our local tour guide persisted and serendipitously could not get through to the appropriate person. That person was on vacation. Instead, the request was passed to the Librarian who graciously arranged for our visit and who brought out the Codex and in English explained its history and significance.

How extraordinary! Amazing! Exciting!

I don’t know how amenable they are to such visits by individuals or groups or even choirs, but let me know if I can help you in any way. I do have the e-mail address for the accommodating librarian.

(and thank you to Richard Chonak for “cleaning up” the example Codex page that I have attached. By the way, the pages of the Codex are all on-line.)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Some incredibly fun music in this codex.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    By the way, the pages of the Codex are all on-line.)

Did I miss the link?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Be careful about the IMSLP link. The editions there are not PD in the USA.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Specifically the Tischler RRMM edition but not the ms scan; in general be careful about fair use for anything with a big red Non-PD US warning label, if you live in the US.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Protasius
    The Codex Montpellier with french neumes and letter notation for the pitches has the signature H 159 and is found in the Paléographie musicale as volume XIII, available on IMSLP as Antiphonarium tonale missarum.

The Codex Montpellier linked above has the signature H 196 and contains early polyphony, thus it is not the codex WGS beheld.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix