One reason why Episcopal priests who became Roman have problems..
  • Their innate sense of what music should be at Mass is continually challenged and it becomes increasingly more difficult to keep the mouth shut when they know what singing the psalm, hymns and great choral music could be in a church. Just not this one.
  • Matthew
    The same can be said of former Episcopal church musicians who've crossed the Tiber.
  • CharlesW
    I have known a few who crossed the Tiber whose boats should have been sunk in midstream. LOL. Far worse, it seems to me, are some of the Protestant musicians from churches that are clearly non-liturgical in practice. I have dealt with a few who wanted to duplicate those Protestant practices in Catholic worship.

Anglican music is excellent and I have a fondness for it. On the other hand, why is it surprising that a clash of cultures can occur when mixing practices of one church with another. It can work in the right place with the right priest and congregation, but in another place, it may not.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Our EF pastor often worked with Anglican pastors and Anglican-use parishes, and it has been a felicitous arrangement since he was very fond of Anglican hymns and encouraged us to use them at our Missa Cantata for the entrance and recessional. The practice has worked very well with our congregation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    FWIW - Plenty of Episcopal churches have really terrible music programs. Some of them do four crusty hymns real slow on a bad organ. Some of them try to do traditional Anglican choral music, but do it really poorly. Some of them have jumped on one or another band wagon, doing folk mass, or U2charist, or Beatles Mass, or Praise and Worship. Some do a bizarre mix of all these things.

For every Trinity Wall Street or Our Lady of Great Choral Music, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of places with mediocre (or worse) music.

And a lot of the places that have really good music don't have much liturgical sense.

Bad taste is not a peculiarly Roman phenomenon. Nor is good taste universal within the Anglican churches.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam's viewpoint agrees with my own experience.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Bad taste is not a peculiarly Roman phenomenon. Nor is good taste universal within the Anglican churches.

The font-boy speaks great truth. LOL.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin

• Bad taste is not a peculiarly Roman phenomenon. Nor is good taste universal within the Anglican churches.

The odds of hearing really s@#$% music are much higher when dropping in a Catholic church than even the lowest of Episcopal churches. Has nothing to do with taste.

Having a national hymnal is part of the reason for that.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam speaks truly. There are too many parishes in world-wide Anglicandom that are a far cry from being poster candidates for the Anglican liturgical ethos. This may be surprising to many, but it is true. And (sorry, Noel) having a hymnal is no guarantee, for there are almost as many spiral-bound trendy song books and plunky-plunky combos in Episcopal churches as in Catholic ones. The same goes for the Lutherans, who do not universally cherish Bach, German chorales, and a sober Lutheran liturgical praxis. The Anglicans do, though, have something which Catholics seem to lack, namely, a consciousness of what constitutes fine liturgy and music, an awareness and respect for Anglican ways even if they are not put into universal practice. The cathedral service remains a pradigm even for those who do not imitate it. There is the RSCM and countless choirs which follow Anglican ways and are loved by their congregations to a degree that has no correspondence amongst Catholics. There is no such universal liturgical consciousness in the Catholic Church. Yes, there are liturgical meccas here and there, whether EF or OF. There is the Benedictine tradition. There is the musical patrimony. But none of these is paradigmatical in the Catholic mind, amongst Catholic people, to the degree that it is in the Anglican mind. Most Catholics could not care less whether there is or isn't incense, whether the priest chants, whether the liturgy is 'high' or 'low'. When all is said and done, though, there is the Anglican spiritual and liturgical patrimony which is owned by all even if all don't practice it. It is significant and real enough that Good Pope Benedict established ordinariates for its witness in the Catholic church. And, one will find it, undiluted, at any ordinariate parish.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    And even low Anglican liturgy, strictly following 1662, tends to be well done...
  • Yes, MR, the paradigm is that, whether high, low, or broad church, liturgy is nicely done. All things are done decently and in order. Too, many don't realise it, but, historically, a devout low churchman often had much in common with his high church or Anglo-Catholic cousin, insofar as a quite orthodox sacramental theology and understanding of each was surprisingly close, the difference being that the low churchman simply was not into ritual.

(One thing that the Lutherans have that I have often thought Catholics and Anglicans alike should imitate is teachers' colleges. These are dotted around the country and are the breeding grounds for all teachers in Lutheran parochial schools. These colleges have music departments, many of which cultivate well-known choirs of students who are imbued with the Lutheran musical heritage, who travel and give spiritual concerts in Lutheran parishes around the country. They also train their organists. There is nothing like these teachers' colleges in the Catholic or Anglican churches, but they would be well worth imitating. There is no better way to inculcate the young who will go out and teach their cultural patrimony in parochial schools.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • Yes, but there is NO WAY that not having a standard hymnal helps.
  • Noel,

The American bishops considered having a national hymnal of sorts. They wanted to improve the music nationwide, and get a greater repertoire of familiar music -- so they put the heads of GIA, OCP, WLP in charge of the music. (Talk about wolves guarding the hen house!)
  • MatthewRoth
    And one thing Anglicans historically have had we do not have are choir schools.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • stulte
    I am so glad there isn't a national hymnal for Catholics!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Well, we have choir schools, but not enough.
    Chris, just what I was thinking. Given who would be involved, the result would be worse than what we have now.
  • The American bishops considered having a national hymnal of sorts. They wanted to improve the music nationwide, and get a greater repertoire of familiar music -- so they put the heads of GIA, OCP, WLP in charge of the music. (Talk about wolves guarding the hen house!)

I'd like to read about that. Where can I find this?
  • The publishers are printing and promoting what they think the people want, and the people are buying it.

A national hymnal would have at least a general core of useful music.
  • '...promoting what they think the people want, and the people are buying it.'

Are people buying it because that's really what they want, or because it is what is cleverly marketed? If junk were not advertised and published no one would think of it. If all that was available marketed was good stuff, that is what people would buy. Who, just who, back a few decades decided that they would like guitar music in church? Not the average church-goer. It was the guitarists who crashed in and took over, much to the annoyance of quite a few people. This anti-culture was planned and marketed to make money from those who never would have 'wanted it' if it hadn't been stuffed down their throats.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Um... there's a country just north of ours that has a "national hymnal."

Go look at it and then tell me again that you want a national hymnal.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Or we could do what the eintire German-speaking world does and just have one hymnal that has a section in the back for individual Dioceses. Heck, certain American Lutherans (Wisconsin and MIssouri Synods) do something similar with very few problems.
  • MatthewRoth
    My only complaint about Gotteslob is its formatting and its lack of square notation. But it is a huge step in the right direction.
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 Gavin

• The American bishops considered having a national hymnal of sorts. They wanted to improve the music nationwide, and get a greater repertoire of familiar music -- so they put the heads of GIA, OCP, WLP in charge of the music. (Talk about wolves guarding the hen house!)

Can't seem to find any reference to this...is it some other document?
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    My only complaint about Gotteslob is its formatting and its lack of square notation. But it is a huge step in the right direction.

I don't mind that the chant isn't in square notation. Honestly, I'd rather see modern notation for the sake of consistency. It's what is widely taught now, and comunicates exactly what the square-notation did just fine. It'd be like printing all German liturature in gothic blackletter because that's how they used to do it. (Plus, someone such as myself with a mostly instrumental/public-school-band-program background find it easier reading a sequence of dots than a Porrectus.)

The big downside I see in getting the English-speaking world to adopt its own Gotteslob-like hymnal would be the resistance from OCP, WLP, and GIA, and other such companies in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia. (GIA would have the least to loose, though, since much of their output is music-education material. Their big yearly event isn't even church related; it's the Midwest Clinic that all music-education people try to make a pilgrimage to at least once in their lives.)
  • comunicates exactly what the square-notation did just fine.

?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Actually, upon some further reflection... if some churches that use only traditional hymnody were forced to use a national hymnal that turned out to be something like the Canadian national hymnal, they would just stop doing hymns and sing the propers.

Maybe Noel is on to something.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • '...communicates exactly what the square-notation did just fine.'

Well, um, it actually doesn't!
    Not by a long shot.
    This is an hilarious assertion.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • MatthewRoth
    At the Colloquium we sang a marvelous setting of “Ad te clamamus” by Christopher Tye during the Salve Regina. For reasons, we wound up singing the Roman and not Sarum version, and I was glad, because the modern notation tends to distort the relationship between text and music. The chant no longer flows but gets caught on individual syllables.

My background is modern notation as well, but I need the square notes. I can solfege the chant (even writing in the solfege helps me) and it means I am not left dealing with sharps and flats as well as thinking chant has to be in C. I need to hear it sung so I can hear the intervals, but I am still new to chant...
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Carl DCarl D
    Zac, I also used to think that modern notation was somehow more "complete" than square notes. It's absolutely true that whole lots of things have been added to modern notation in an attempt to encompass every instrument and type of music.

But square notes fit Chant amazingly well because they communicate exactly what chant does. They're not intended to cover everything. I have yet to see modern notation do an effective job at chant phrasing, quilismas and such. Some have tried but nothing seems to have stuck.

So it comes down to just using the exact right tool for the job.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • The great value of square notation is that it is derived directly from the earliest Carolingian chant notation, which itself evolved from rhetorical symbols indicating vocal inflexions and a quite imaginative oratorical delivery of text. While pitch was an obviously important element of cantus, the rhetorical, yes, even emotional, word-wedded delivery as indicated by the earliest neums was somewhat more than equally important. With square notation we are on our way (but have not quite yet arrived) to the primary concern with pitch and the reduction of neumes to rather stylised and wooden methods of performance even yet employed by some, stripped of their original oratorical vibrance (whether prayerful and meditative or colourful and exciting). It may have been Guido (it was somebody) who said that one needed the square notation to know the pitches and the Carolingian neumes to know how to sing them. Of course this is all lost on those who consider chant to be but a loose performance of series of pitches absent any imaginative delivery of the text. Round, modern, note heads are another step removed from the earliest notation and are concerned almost totally with the equation of 'chant' with a string of pitches sung more or less 'musically'. This is a joke. Nor does putting slurs over these note heads do very much to indicate the exciting delivery of a syllable demanded by a porrectus, whether square or, better yet, Carolingian. At best, it might well be said that one does not 'chant a text' but 'texts a chant'.

If one doesn't know semiology one cannot make out, let alone, deliver genuine chant from round note heads. One can approximate genuine chant with square notation. But, for one who is serious a working knowledge of semiology is a requirement which every diligent choirmaster should have under his or her belt for to teach the intelligent delivery of propers to cantors, choirs, and scholas. Now, of course, we don't expect this from the congregation, whose chants are simpler and who are not capable of highly refined chant musicianship; we do, though, think that they are not cretins and are, therefore, more than intelligent enough to read basic square chant notation. To hold that they cannot do this is, in a word, irrational.

(If you haven't yet, do get, read, devour, and inwardly digest Dom Eugene Cardine's Gregorian Semiology. There's far more to those ancient IX and X century scribblings than most people realise. Nor are they all that daunting to comprehend.)

• What MJO said.

Chant in written modern notation with stems really fails.
    Round notes with historic markings sort of works...but still fails to trigger the response in the brain that the compound gnome groups does. Do. Or something like that.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    fails to trigger the response in the brain that the compound gnome groups does.
    This really depends more on the gnome's training, I think. I don't hear differences in the congregation's singing of De angelis and In honorem Ralph Sherwin that I can attribute to a tree-unfriendly format. Does anyone here think they could tell from a recording whether I'm reading round or square notes? Slogans like "Four lines good, five lines bad" won't carry much weight with the adiastematics anyway ;-)
  • Spellcheck strikes again.

Seriously, singing grin gnomes instead of round notes is like a nun I worked with who was in an order with a historic habit. After a rehearsal she ran off to the convent to change into her "good" habit.

My comment, "So who will know?" was not very welcome.

I, as many others here, believe that understanding and recognizing the basic GNOME groups is essential to a deeper understanding of chant and that when singing from modern notes we feel a deeper connection as we know what these modern notes are trying to outline, but totally fail at truly presenting what should be sung.

Quilisma is a great example. How in modern notation do you notate how the note before a note is meant to be sung? Impossible. You can write what you think that is should be, but it will not be what the composer intended. He or She and all that followed them obviously wanted you to be told by the second note how to sing the first note. And it worked for a long time, until modern notation came. And there are other examples. Possibly some other Gnome Neumes would comment.
  • CharlesW
    If one doesn't know semioloy one cannot make out, let alone, deliver genuine chant from round note heads.

There is no genuine chant, at least if you use Solesmes. It's all, if not contrived and made-up, based on earlier scholarship. To get anything genuine, you would need 8th-century or earlier texts. I am not aware of any, but one of those conspiracy theorist flat-earthers may have something stashed under a bed.

With square notation we are on our way (but have not quite yet arrived) to the primary concern with pitch and the reduction of neumes to rather stylised and wooden methods of performance even yet employed by some, stripped of their original oratorical vibrance (whether prayerful and meditative or colourful and exciting).

Ah, if we only knew what their "original oratorical vibrance" sounded like. If the performance is wooden, it is more the fault of the singer(s) than the notation.

Well, um, it actually doesn't!
    Not by a long shot.
    This is an hilarious assertion.

OK, no more chant, ever, for any reason since we can't do it in square notes. That was easy to fix. LOL.

• matthewjmatthewj
    the basic GNOME groups

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    How in modern notation do you notate how the note before a [quillisma] is meant to be sung? Impossible.
    And old notation accomplishes the impossible how, exactly?
  • So, seriously, how do you write a note in modern notation that tells you how to sing the note before it? Chant notation tells you to do it. It does not tell you what to do. That makes it even harder, right?
  • MatthewRoth
    Noel, they stick a quilisma in there... I have seen it in the Mortem tuam acclamation on “Domine,” and I had to tell the cantor how to sing it. He had just gone to the next pitch normally, having no idea why it was there, and it was as if someone tore the sound in half.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I wonder how chagrined maestro Ostrowski would be to learn that somewhere "grant us peace" is being sung as a quillisma.
  • Of course, there are those of us who know that it's the upper pitch following the quilisma that's lengthened - not the one before it. Cardine (and Columba Kelly) are most helpful with such insights supported by continuing paleographic scholarship.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My opinion (and that's all it is) is that stemless round notes can actualy provide as much info as square notes, BUT the problem is that they seem to provide additional information which they are not intending to (such as absolute pitch and equalist rhythm). For people with a lot of experience reading music in modern conventional notation, this happens automatically in their brain and is hard to turn off.

cf. The Stroop Effect
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 Gavin
  • Thank you, Adam. While I do not wholly agree with you, you have just provided further and potent reasons why modern note heads are an obstruction to chant. Yes, it's not just what they fail to convey, but erroneous signals that they do convey.

It seems to me (and this is not aimed solely at you) that to hold that note heads convey as much information as does chant notation (not to mention Frankish neumes) is to believe that chant is a slew of pitches which one can sing howsoever he pleases, in a manner that seems 'chant-like' to him; that there is no definite information signaled in chant notation with its direct lineage with Frankish neumes (which are packed with information that most people don't even know exists). This is, of course, a delusion - a delusion compounded by the false information which you have referenced.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Zac, I also used to think that modern notation was somehow more "complete" than square notes.

It would be wrong of me to think of modern notation as more complete. My thought process is that it's easier for people who've learned music through the public school system to more readily read modern notation in a hymnal. I'm not talking from the perspective of the choir/schola but as a person in the congregation who happens to be a musician (Trumpet performance major over in Platteville, WI who composes and is ever-so-slowly learning the organ). I will certainly agree that neumatic notation is best for chant, especially when one has time to learn it thoroughly (as Director, Organist, choir-member, Priest, etc...), but for a good majority of the congregation, who are lucky if they know what a treble-clef is, stemless round notes on a treble-clef staff would suffice in a hymnal meant for the congregation.

As someone with an almost completely instrumental background, I just want to be clear that I don't mean to step on anyone's toes.
  • bonniebede
    Zac, neumes are not so hard to learn to read. My six year old schola members can read them competently after a year, starting from scratch. The only person so far I have encountered with difficulty, is the adult musician who refuses to engage with it because it is not 'proper' music. This is not a question of musical difficulty but of stubbornness. For them I don't know what you can do. ;-)
  • CharlesW
    This is not a question of musical difficulty but of stubbornness. For them I don't know what you can do. ;-)

That stubbornness works two ways.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Liam
    "But, for one who is serious a working knowledge of semiology is a requirement which every diligent choirmaster should have under his or her belt for to teach the intelligent delivery of propers to cantors, choirs, and scholas."

Good luck with that.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I don't get out of my work parish often enough to monitor others. I can't attend other parishes since I am working at the same time they are meeting. I have noticed since Pope Benedict retired a sort of backlash against his liturgical and musical positions and teachings. Is it widespread? I don't know. Perhaps others who do get around more may have a better perspective. It may vary by regions, as well. This forum is kind of a "gated community," so I don't know if others get out into the "real" world, either.