Psalm 85 : Responsorial Psalm Antiphon (15th Sun OT) : by Koerber
  • francis
    You may use this in your liturgies next week if you so feel inclined. For the verses I use The Parish Book of Psalms.

see and hear

If printed in a worship aid simply include the credit (Psalm 85, music © 2015 Francis Koerber, Used with permission.)

Use a screen grab to copy the score from the mp4 file and then print.

PS. The voice leading is also good for SATB a cappella performance.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen irishtenor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Curiosity francis. Why'd you compose in English for the OF?
  • francis
    Out of pragmatism.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Didya think anyone would notice?
  • francis
    Notice what?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Your declaration to only write in Latin, presumably for the OF. I pay attention.
  • francis
    Melo, your attention to details and past posts is both impressive and amusing.

My declaration stands, however, as we also discussed idealism vrs. pragmatism, I have always been pragmatic even though I hold up high ideals. Heck, I was playing the guitar in my last position as a DoM and singing Oregon Crappy Press with all the artistry I could muster. That alone is an extreme act of valor and courage coming from someone who actually believes in true art.

The Psalms in our hymnal are varied and (IMHO) not very prayerful or meditative. I like the PBP and use them all the time, but they don't have organ accomps. So I have to compose them. So, while I am composing organ accomps, I would just rather compose my own melody for the antiphon. It's a very pragmatic decision from every angle.

I would love to have a set that is as prayerful as the chant that I do not have to compose, but not seeing any options. Got any ideas? I was trying to get Aristotle to send me his entire set as the SATB accomps can also double as an organ accomp but I don't think he has them compiled at this point in time.

So in the end, I thought it would be best to share with all of you my efforts at the antiphons as I believe they might be useful to you or others. I am sorry if I have given the appearance of a compromise to my ideals. Believe me. If I didn't have to eat, I wouldn't compose these in English.
  • francis
    hmmm... melo? you dropped off the radar! (btw... do you think all the masses in heaven are in Latin as their books are bound the same as on earth?)

"Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven"