Magnificat Identification
  • EMH
    Can anyone identify the composer of this Magnificat? I went to the Christendom college summer program, and they taught it to us by ear to sing at mass on Friday, but they didn't give us any sheet music. Maybe they made it up themselves. In any case, it's a nice easy thing for women's voices. We once it once in unison and then did the round in 3 groups of 4-5 people each.

God Bless,
    Emma
  • Don't know for sure, but it reminds me of a Magnificat of Jacques Berthier, used a Pueri Cantores Congresses. It is on page 14 of this book.
  • ViolaViola
    I don't know it, but I would suggest that its time signature should be 3/2 rather than 6/4
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PhatFlute
    Consider a performance of the CVstanford Magnificat Anima in G-Majore. Good work,
    Ph
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Don't know for sure, but it reminds me of a Magnificat of Jacques Berthier, used a Pueri Cantores Congresses. It is on page 14 of this book.
    Except for being transposed down a perfect fourth and for one minor difference in the 3rd measure, it is exactly the "2. Canone" (2nd Canon) part of the Berthier cited (on p. 13, not p, 14). The only difference is on the first beat: The Bethier has Re Mi in the 3rd bar, where the round has Re-Sol Mi. Evidently this Magnificat round/canon is due to Berthier, with the minor emendation.
  • rich_enough
    This (with the corrections by GHGiffen) is meant to be sung along with this Magnificat canon by Berthier.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    rich_enough, that's only part of the story. EMH posted what is essentially the 2nd Canon part, and you posted the 1st Canon part of a larger work. Indeed, Berthier's Magnificat (fragment) is scored for Two Canons, and Two SATB Choirs (see the attached PDF score), and these four "parts" can be mixed and matched ad libitum on various repeats of "chant" (which is, in a sense, rather Taize-like).
    Thanked by 1rich_enough