Colloquium Attire
  • Carolus16
    First time colloquium attender question, looking for some advice:

What sort of (men's) clothes should I plan on bringing to colloquium? Should I plan on having one outfit for a whole day, or should I plan to have one for mass and another for rehearsals?
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm wondering the same thing for my sons. Thank you for posting.
  • BenBen
    Last year, I wore button up + tie most of the days, and I think a polo for one or two of the days, black slacks in either case.

Each day I didn't change during the day and didn't feel out of place. Ymmv.
    Thanked by 1Carolus16
  • matthewjmatthewj
    2-3 suits, 8-9 dress shirts and ties, 2-3 pairs of slacks, a sports coat or two, 3 pairs of shoes, sunglasses, and perhaps one casual button down shirt.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yes, one outfit for rehearsals (business casual is what I used) and another for Mass (formal: suit and tie for me) is a very practical consideration for colloquium attire. The suggestion made above about having more than one change of each is highly recommended unless you plan on doing laundry while you're there. If you can swing it, they have some fun with dress, such as White Suit Wednesday and Bow Tie Friday. These have come to me from Mr. Ben Yanke, so I would ask him for more details.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Every day for me is bow tie (noeud papillon) Friday.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As admirable as I think the Meloche/Yanke suggestions are, I've noticed over the years that it seems (as I don't want to speak for them) both Turkington and Mahrt basically stayed with one or two sport coats (navy seems to be de rigeur) 2 pair of slacks (grey/tan), solid long sleeve shirts, and ties, all rotated in different combinations. Mahrt would do the day sans tie if the heat/humidity was high.
    Warning on White Suit Day- MJM and I were the only two that celebrated that, and MJM changed for the evening. But he's such a fashionista.
    And I recall that Tucker ranted on FB that oxford button collar shirts are inappropriate for men's formal wear. But he's pretty fussy.
    Thanked by 1Carolus16
  • Richard R.
    ^ (CC really wants to wear his jams and tie-died T.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And have a sign around my neck, "Can anyone point me to the Big Island Liturgical Congress? I gotta meet David Haas, stat!"
  • chonakchonak
    Since we'll be offering Colloquium XXV souvenir tee shirts this year, I hope to see people wearing them just about anywhere, apart from the liturgy.
    100 x 156 - 10K
    Thanked by 3BruceL kevinf Jenny
  • chonakchonak
    Just to give a straight answer to Carolus16's question, there aren't any real solid rules, but usually our chaplain Fr. Pasley makes an announcement in the first day or so urging the gentlemen to dress up a bit for Mass.
    Thanked by 1Carolus16
  • kevinfkevinf
    And the women do not dress up....

Curious minds,etc.
  • BruceL
    Matthewj has a porter employed for all his out-of-town trips, so I'd adjust expectations accordingly.
  • WendiWendi
    Hey now Dearest... a few of the ladies (myself included) wore white.

Kevin...the ladies I ran with dressed up for Mass. Some of us even wore the bridal veil. Just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Matthewj has a porter employed for all his out-of-town trips, so I'd adjust expectations accordingly.

I thought I heard MJM refer to him as his man servant last year. Viva la revolucion!
    And the women do not dress up....

G/Scelata wears the greatest hats!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj

If only I had a tailor on staff! I might have put on a pound or two this year...

Or maybe a personal trainer.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • SalieriSalieri

The proper term is "valet": that's val-et, with the 'T' pronounced. cf. P.G. Wodehouse, J. Morse, et al.
  • mahrt
    Thanks, Charles. I was wondering what to wear.
    Thanked by 2melofluent matthewj
  • Tucker is right -
    Button-down shirts are not appropriate for either informal or formal attire. Informal = 'business' suit, formal = tuxedo, casual = sport coat or less. Button down shirts (Oxford cloth or other) are casual attire and may be worn with sport coats or no coats. Also, casual 'loafer'-styled shoes are not appropriate with informal or formal costume, only casual.

(The button-down collar is an American invention which originated in Ivy League realms as a way of keeping collars in place during sporting events.)
  • BruceL
    No, really, Salieri, this is an instituted porter. It was tremendously hard to find one.
    Thanked by 2matthewj ntnch1776
  • kevinfkevinf
    For my guys and boys in choir, I am glad they wear a shirt as opposed to a t-shirt. SO button down versus not is a non-starter.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    For my guys and boys in choir, I am glad they wear a shirt as opposed to a t-shirt. SO button down versus not is a non-starter.

Several years ago, at an RSCM course, I heard the teen boys choir perform (in Cassock and Surplice). I thought to myself: "They would sound better if they combed their hair."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Charles. I was wondering what to wear.

Oh great, professor...now I don't know whether to sing Bernstein's "I feel pretty" or Purcell's "When I am laid."
    At least I'll have the excuse of having been sequestered to the desert which once was the great San Joaquin during Colloquium. You know you've tried to kill me twice already, both of 'em during Vespers! ;-)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    (The button-down collar is an American invention which originated in Ivy League realms as a way of keeping collars in place during sporting events.)

I'm so relieved at 64 , Jackson, that you've explained to me the dress code of "The Kingsmen." I knew that one doesn't sport a button down with a double breasted anything. But like place settings at tables, one deals with the hand one is dealt. And you can have my Bass Weejuns by prying them off my cold, dead feet before the Requiem is chanted.
    Riddle me this- what is the origin of the little loop on the back pleats (shoulder) of the button down sport shirt? Is anyone old enough to remember when smart aleck kids called them "Sissy bars?"
    Lord, I have to meet you one day, Jackson!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Well, Charles, I could say that that little loop was invented by a New England school marm as a means of snatching a lad who had put glue in her chair as he was trying to make his escape. But, that would be pure conjecture.

So, my educated guess, Charles, is that that little loop is for hanging the shirt on a hook or some such. If I ever find this in print I shall let you know. (And, you are spot on about those table place settings. It sort of depends on on which side of the pond one is - or whether one side of the pond is imitating the other. Or whether it's 'house rules'.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    that little loop is for hanging the shirt on a hook or some such.

At last, we concur. Well, that's what I use 'em for. I remember that the madras plaid fashion circa 67 short sleeves had to have the sissy bar or they weren't authentic. BTW, how does one wear Weejuns in the summer in the south? Sans sox.
  • There are a lot of sockless feet shod with Weejuns, boat shoes, and similar footwear in this sprawling and unlikely arts mecca. They generally seem to belong to persons who want to be seen as daring or unbound by rules, who can 'pull off' something that is a little bit uncouth but not reprehensible - sort of like those who wear tennis shoes with business suits. I find them quite amusing. Of course, one is supposed to pretend not to notice.

And, I remember well the rage for madras. I had a number of madras ties in various colours.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I suppose my Oscar is aligning with your Felix, MJO. The sockless loafer/driving shoe thing doesn't really rankle me, it's been around long enough for tradition. But these geeks, from young punks to boomers who wear real suits with black/white-soled Vans, including some of the FOX news talking heads, well yer honor, they need a-killin'.

(PS for the NSA) The last sentence was satire, aka humor. Please don't flag me or put me on "No Fly" (too fat to fly anyways.) However, should you all decide to dispatch me, give me a chance to declare that "Jesus is Lord!" (Like Crescat, I might have a shot as a martyr.)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'll wear what I wear and you'll like it.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I nominate Maestro Quick as the Ron Paul of CMAA!
    Just don't don a thong.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'll be decent, within the confines of my wardrobe. I was just feeling a little prickly at so many strong opinions.