Propers for First Vows??
  • DanielCDanielC
    Hello!

My sister is making her first vows as a religious sister on July 16, the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, in the Ordinary Form. I am tasked with leading the choir, and need a bit of help.

I wanted to sing the Introit, Offertory, and Communion in Latin (Gregorian Chant propers). I was wondering if anyone knew which propers are assigned for a Mass of first vows in the O.F.? Also, would the feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel take precedence over the propers for the vows?

Would anyone be able to get me scores for the three propers that should be done?

Thank you!! :)
  • MatthewRoth
    Part of the order of precedenc would depend on if she is entering a Carmelite community or not.
    Thanked by 1DanielC
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I've attached the two pages in the GR 1974 which list the Propers for the Consecration of Virgins and Religious Profession. You can download the GR1947 from Corpus Christi Watershed (Here: http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/feb/17/1974-graduale-romanum-now-online/ ) and you'll be able to look up the pages which have the chant listed on my attached pages. I want to say Our Lady of Carmel should take precedence if she's a Carmelite. Otherwise, I believe the Ritual Mass (right?) would supersede the Memorial.
    Thanked by 1DanielC
  • ntnch1776
    If your sister is entering the Carmelites, the Solemnity (for the Order) of Our Lady of Mount Carmel takes precedence over the Ritual Mass. Otherwise, the Ritual Mass is used.
    Thanked by 1DanielC
  • DanielCDanielC
    Thank you all so much!! She is entering a small order, still Diocesan-status, not the Carmelites... So I will use the propers for the Ritual Mass.

Vilyanor, I really appreciate the scores. CCWatershed has some great resources!

God bless you all! :)
  • chonakchonak
    PS: Our site now has the 1974 Graduale too; based on CCW's copy, but reformatted.
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/graduale-romanum-1974.pdf