Anamnesis for Charleston This Sunday
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Friends and Colleagues, just scanning the topics page and noticing the "Back to Ordinary Time" thread title, I immediately thought that in "saeculorum" this Sunday isn't ordinary in the common sense. I'm not going to wax on about the horror and aftermath in Charleston. I'm not interested in discussing liturgical tradition and theology. And I would hope that everyone will understand that what I offer here is not intended to be a lightning rod.
    With that, I offer for consideration the following option fours:
    GOIN' HOME (var. arr's. of Dvorak), MARY'S CANTICLE (L. Roberts), DON'T BE WORRIED (G.W.Brown), LEAD ME, GUIDE ME (Akers), STAND BY ME (Kendzia), PRECIOUS LORD, RIDE ON, KING JESUS (various arrs.), JESUS WALKED THIS LONESOME VALLEY (various), I WANT JESUS TO WALK WITH ME (Hairston) and _________________ (your suggestions.)
    I raise this in humility......"a time to meet and a time to part."
  • CharlesW
    I wish I could say church shootings were something I had not heard of. Seven years ago, a man walked into the local Unitarian church and killed two people. He stated that the place was full of liberals and gays which kept him from getting a job. Crazy, I know. But it points out something else. The NRA gets all worked up over gun legislation, but the real issues are mental health and the mentally ill not having access to weapons. Too little is being done at all levels of government to treat and secure those in need of it, for the safety of others. Our priorities and focus need a fresh look.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Charles (Melo)

As Option fours, do you mean to supplant the propers, or to supplement them?

Chris
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Supplement, thank you, Chris for that clarity. I plan on only using one of those (Goin' Home) as the so-dubbed Hymn of Praise at the choral Mass, and only one of the others for Ensemble Masses, same location.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Pace the first option police, those are not necessarily the most apt pieces for the three-year cycle: for the calming of the storm, I toyed with Ascendante Jesu or reverse engineering a polyphonic version of Mudara's lute song Durmiendo yva el Señor before settling on Unter deinem Schirmen from BWV 227. Though the thunder crack indeed.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    True enough, Richard. Kendzia's piece does have such a reference to the calming of the storm.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I need to oblige the ever-living Logos and Song of the Psalms as regards the Propers for this 12th Sunday, B, Ordinary in the OF. For those who have on occasion doubted the pertinence of the Proper Processionals, I reprint those of this coming Sunday:

Twelfth Sunday
    Dominus fortitudo plebis suæ Ps 28 (27): 8, 9
    INTROIT
    The Lord is the strength of his people, * and the guardian of salvation for his Anointed. Save your people,O Lord, and bless your inheritance; be their guide for ever.
    To you, O Lord, I call; * my rock, be not deaf to me.
    I shall go down to those in the pit, * if you are silent to me.
    Hear the voice of my pleading * as I call to you for help,
    as I raise my hands * toward your holy place.

OFFERTORY
    Perfice gressus meos Ps 17 (16): 5, 6, 7
    Render secure my footsteps in your paths * so that my feet do not slip;
    incline your ear and hear my words;
    display your wonderful mercies, O Lord, Savior of those who place their hope in you.
    O Lord, hear a cause that is just; * pay heed to my cry.
    Turn your ear to my prayer: * no deceit is on my lips.
    From you may my justice come forth. * Your eyes discern what is upright.
    Search my heart and visit me by night. * Test me by fire, and you will find no wrong in me.
    Psalm 17 (16)
    Do not drag me away with the wicked, * with those who do evil,
    who speak words of peace to their neighbors, * but with malice in their hearts.
    My mouth does not transgress as others do; † on account of the words of your lips, *
    I closely watched the paths of the violent. Guard me as the apple of your eye. †
    Hide me in the shadow of your wings * from the violent attack of the wicked.
    My foes encircle me with deadly intent. * Their hearts tight shut, their mouths speak proudly.
    They advance against me, and now they surround me. * Their eyes watch to strike me to the ground.

Circuibo Ps 27 (26): 6
    COMMUNION (Year B)
    I will walk round about his sanctuary, offering a sacrifice of jubilation;
    I will sing and recite a psalm to the Lord.
    The Lord is my light and my salvation; * whom shall I fear?
    The Lord is the stronghold of my life; * whom should I dread?
    When those who do evil draw near * to devour my flesh,
    it is they, my enemies and foes, * who stumble and fall.
    Though an army encamp against me, * my heart would not fear.
    Though war break out against me, * even then would I trust

Even though I would augment, as stated above, with one inculturated, appropriate fourth option, I ask the most ardent of doubters of the efficacy of the Propers, how these are not only apt in eternal time, but in historical time as we have measured this week?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen